Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MultiFunction Cutting tools

• 10-06-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone used any of the oscillating multi function cutting tools?

Aldi have one this week and i'm wondering would it be worth buying:-
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22131.htm

Looks like it would be great for all them niggly jobs around the house. I'm thinking it would be quite good for cutting floor boards right over the joist, where you need to lift a section of one. Would definitely save taking up the entire board and allow you to lift just one section.

Do they really cut as easy as all the you tube videos make out?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi All,

Has anyone used any of the oscillating multi function cutting tools?

Aldi have one this week and i'm wondering would it be worth buying:-
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_22131.htm

Looks like it would be great for all them niggly jobs around the house. I'm thinking it would be quite good for cutting floor boards right over the joist, where you need to lift a section of one. Would definitely save taking up the entire board and allow you to lift just one section.

Do they really cut as easy as all the you tube videos make out?

I have the Lidl one (Parkside).

Its ok,but dont expect too much from it.

Its ok for cutting into through a floorboard in a tight corner or a plasterboard wall (backbox cutout),but after that (a copper pipe or a tile) the bits go to absolute shyte.:(

Mine took forever to cut through a small nail that was sticking out,where I couldnt get a claw hammer in to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

paddy147 wrote: »
    I have the Lidl one (Parkside).

Its ok,but dont expect too much from it.

Its ok for cutting into through a floorboard in a tight corner or a plasterboard wall,but after that (a copper pipe or a tile) the bits go to absolute shyte.:(

Mine took forever to cut through a nail that sticking out,where I couldnt get a claw hammer in to it.

Yea that's what i thought. I see the aldi one takes the bosch accessories, i wonder if you put a bosch blade in it would it be much better...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yea that's what i thought. I see the aldi one takes the bosch accessories, i wonder if you put a bosch blade in it would it be much better...

The Parkside tool takes the Bosch or Workz bits too.

Chap in the local builders providers told me that the bosch ones are very strong and sturdy inedeed.

I might buy a set of the Bosch bits and give them a try.

Oh and Ive attached pics to my post above.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

The way the blade is mounted on that one means you can't get a flush cut which is what makes my Bosch multi tool so handy for me
    (EDIT, I see the smaller pics show the blade mounted in a way which will allow a near flush cut)
    I'd also wonder about whether 10.8v is enough to do the jobs you want it for(and it doesn't say the Ah of the batteries so you don't know how long they'll last between charges)
    The Bosch blades do seem to be among the best along with the Fein blades, but you will pay for them!
    I'm gonna try re sharpen my plunge blades before I buy more because buying blades all the time will get very expensive fast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have the bosch one and use it all the time very handy little tool, I love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

That looks like a great deal for that one!
    I have the Bosch GOP 250ce so i cant really say much about that pmf model, but id say it will be enough for what you described in your op. Bosch make good power tools and a corded powertool outperforms the small battery powered tool every time

Yep that Bosch one does look good, and the blades are going to be much better with that. I'll pick one up, price looks reasonable.

Advertisement