Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths course in 3 days (suggestions)

Options
  • 10-06-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

So I finish my last exam on the 19th (Chem) and I think I might sit the applied maths exam on the 21st.

I know nothing about the subject and I'm only going to give myself the 2 days to study.

I do HL Physics and Maths to A1 standard and I was just wondering if anyone could suggest the easiest six questions to do on the paper for someone who does phys and maths?

I know I probably won't get an A but my aim is a low B in two days just as a challenge :) (sad I know...)

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

Wouldn't have a clue but if it's remotely possible, go for it! Sounds like fun and you might be glad of the points if you do well in it and something else goes drastically wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Haha, I say you should try it!

Firstly there are 10 questions on the paper each carrying 50 marks..

Question 1 you might know from Physics it's Accelerated Linear Motion... it's regarded as an easy enough question so you should try that :)

Question 10 is Calculus.. you'll know this from Maths Paper 1! Again, this is a very nice question.

Question 3 and 5 (Projectiles and Collisions) are also quite easy to get marks in.. they both require you to use the same formulae and methods over and over again! So it's easy to pick up marks there.

I'd recommend you to look at questions 2, 4 and 8 aswell..

Question 8 requires you to know 3 proofs which will be an easy 20 marks for you.

Questions 2 and 4 are also good questions but they'd take longer to cover! In question 2 there are many aspects you have to cover and it can be confusing to teach by yourself. So I'd choose question 4... it has some overlap with Physics because it involves Newton's forces of motion.

So there you go! I think you should pick questions 1,3,4,5,8 and 10! Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

This makes me feel better about leaving my study untill after physics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

subz3r0 wrote: »
    I'm not doing Applied Maths, but a low B in 2 days? I say no, lay off the bravado and be more realistic. If you get a high D, low C I'd still call that a massive achievement.
    Good luck though! But if you didnt register for it, can you even sit it now?

Not true at all. A good aptitude for maths and physics, a few days hard work and its entirely possible. Pull the finger out and give it a go! It's not a difficult course, the questions are pretty similar year to year. GIve it a go OP, let us know how it goes. It's been a while since i sat it, so I can't really give you advice on questions. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Don't be ridiculous, what you're saying is impossible. I'm just being realistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

I agree with Stalin above, You might be able to pass it or get a even get a C because of the forgiving marking scheme but there is no way you could get a B, it just wouldn't be possible even if you started now..

Just to humour you, the questions that I do are 1,2,3,4,5 and 10. Linear accelerated motion, Relative/Resultant velocity, Projectiles, Newton's laws, Collisions and Diff' equations.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ehshup

if you go to thephysicsteacher.ie and for the days before, go through a ton of each type of question, you'd have a chance, if you have a very strong understanding of maths and mechanics.i'm not sure if i'd reccomend spending too much time on q4, the wedge questions took me ages to get the hang of.
    I'd say try 1,2,3,4,5 and 10. That said q6 has a small crossover with physics but sure you might as well have a go, if you have nothing else to be doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.
    I was just talking to the headmaster and he's gonna register me for it tomorrow. ( I think he's still sitting in his office like WTF? because he knows I haven't done any prep)

I know it woud be impossible to take up a subject like ag science or something, but there isn't a lot I need to learn and I'm comfortable teaching myself since I did a lot of my honors maths myself.

I've aslo done some extra curricular physics things which involved a lot of problem solving that wasn't on the physics course so I'm pretty good at figuring out how to do things I don't know how to if that makes any sense?

Finally, when I say 2 days to prepare, I mean like 28 hours (same time as 42 app maths classes)
    19th : eight hours after chem exam
    20th : twelve to fourteen hours
    And I'll do an all-nighter one of the nights for another 8 hours

Hopefully, I can get a better mark than my Irish exam which shouldn't be hard caus I'm doing pass. Ironic if I spend 12 years doing irish for 45 points and 2 days app maths for 75...

Also, just to clarify, I'm not doing it because I need the points, I have 7 other good honors subjects (I'm not that stupid :D)

Thanks, and if anyone has any more advice I'd greatly appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

What

The

Fück

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a clue but if it's remotely possible, go for it! Sounds like fun and you might be glad of the points if you do well in it and something else goes drastically wrong!
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Haha, I say you should try it!
    Firstly there are 10 questions on the paper each carrying 50 marks..
    This makes me feel better about leaving my study untill after physics!
    Not true at all. A good aptitude for maths and physics, a few days hard work and its entirely possible. Pull the finger out and give it a go! It's not a difficult course, the questions are pretty similar year to year. GIve it a go OP, let us know how it goes. It's been a while since i sat it, so I can't really give you advice on questions. Good luck!
    ehshup wrote: »
    if you go to thephysicsteacher.ie and for the days before, go through a ton of each type of question, you'd have a chance, if you have a very strong understanding of maths and mechanics.i'm not sure if i'd reccomend spending too much time on q4, the wedge questions took me ages to get the hang of.
    I'd say try 1,2,3,4,5 and 10. That said q6 has a small crossover with physics but sure you might as well have a go, if you have nothing else to be doing!

Thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks :)
    Don't be ridiculous, what you're saying is impossible. I'm just being realistic

acorn1702 wrote: »
    I agree with Stalin above, You might be able to pass it or get a even get a C because of the forgiving marking scheme but there is no way you could get a B, it just wouldn't be possible even if you started now..

Just to humour you, the questions that I do are 1,2,3,4,5 and 10. Linear accelerated motion, Relative/Resultant velocity, Projectiles, Newton's laws, Collisions and Diff' equations.

challenge_accepted__by_cakemonsta-d37gl7x.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Hey guys I'm a solid D3 in Honours Maths and I've a good understanding of Junior Cert Physics. Do you think I could also take on this challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Hey guys I'm a solid D3 in Honours Maths and I've a good understanding of Junior Cert Physics. Do you think I could also take on this challenge?

Probably not no

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

I had this idea about 3 weeks ago and I picked up Applied Maths under the exact same notions as yourself, good at maths and physics. I got a book and studied it for about a week in among the other subjects and I have covered enough for questions 1,2,3,4,5 and 10. That being said I haven't looked at it in over two weeks so I'll see how it goes. If you are going to do it, you may have to apply for an exam paper which could be too late at this point because my principal said I was lucky that I applied on the day I did as the SEC weren't accepting any new additions. Get yourself a book, vectors are critical to Applied Maths and your physics book probably won't go indepth enough. Exam papers also, be sure to go over some of them and be aware of the marking scheme. I say go for it, I planning to blitz it the day before and I see no reason why you couldn't!

Wanchor wrote: »
    I had this idea about 3 weeks ago and I picked up Applied Maths under the exact same notions as yourself, good at maths and physics. I got a book and studied it for about a week in among the other subjects and I have covered enough for questions 1,2,3,4,5 and 10. That being said I haven't looked at it in over two weeks so I'll see how it goes. If you are going to do it, you may have to apply for an exam paper which could be too late at this point because my principal said I was lucky that I applied on the day I did as the SEC weren't accepting any new additions. Get yourself a book, vectors are critical to Applied Maths and your physics book probably won't go indepth enough. Exam papers also, be sure to go over some of them and be aware of the marking scheme. I say go for it, I planning to blitz it the day before and I see no reason why you couldn't!

I don't think my idea is all that absurd. You had 3 weeks, but like you said, 3 weeks of doing a subject along with 7 others isn't the same as 3 weeks of only app maths. Two days for just one subject can be very efficient :)

My headmaster said he'll apply for me on Monday morning so hopefully I'm not too late. What happens if I'm not registered to sit it and I just go in and do one because the examiner wouldn't notice?

My friend said he won't be using his book 'fundamental applied maths' much before the exams so I can use that and I'll get the papers online.

Thanks for the support, and good luck with your's :)

I'm taking in 19 extra subjects and the SEC will be forced to reschedule exams to adequately deal with my request.

reznov wrote: »
    I'm taking in 19 extra subjects and the SEC will be forced to reschedule exams to adequately deal with my request.

Dude, I get the point, you don't like my idea....
    (Sounds like somebody hasn't enjoyed doing their leaving cert maths course :P)

And anyway, why would they be rescheduling? If it was an inconvenience to anyone I wouldn't do it.

jos360 wrote: »
    Dude, I get the point, you don't like my idea....
    (Sounds like somebody hasn't enjoyed doing their leaving cert maths course :P)

I actually have enjoyed it very much, but thank you for your concern.

They would reschedule because I'm a celebrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

One warning OP, if you leave us hanging on this and don't keep us updated after the exam and come results time, I will find you and I will kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

My friend tried that, he got 22%
    Then again, he wasn't an A maths student, didn't do physics and only did 5 hours work on it:D

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    My friend tried that, he got 22%
    Then again, he wasn't an A maths student, didn't do physics and only did 5 hours work on it:D

Did he use it for points purpose? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

To be perfectly honest, I'd do what the OP would do if I didnt have music that thursday. But, in saying that, I don't have physics.. :/

You're all lucky to be able to do both of those subjects...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

Go for it definitely !!!!!! If u really are an a or even b standard maths and physics student, then try. A 6th year in my school last year did applied maths but never went to class because it was before school. Honestly he went to lyk 5 classes. He had 4 days to study, so he did 8 hours every day and got a C1 (70 points), also he wasn't even a b standard maths student. Also applied maths test is the 22nd I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

reznov wrote: »
    Did he use it for points purpose? :pac:

Actually yes, after he did badly in Maths he thought he could do better in A.Maths:D
    Now it's on his college record that he failed A.maths. Silly lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Do question 10. It's absolute piss.

Question 1 can be tricky but is basically mechanics from physics.

As is question 4.

I'd stay away from questions 6 and 8.

I've you've only got 2 days don't even go near 9.

3 is extremely straightforward.

2 can be tricky.

5 is nice, but not sure with only 2 days.

So, do 1,3,4,10 definitely. That's 66.6% if you get them out fully.

got 99% in Applied Maths in my LC. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

Do question 10. It's absolute piss.

Question 1 can be tricky but is basically mechanics from physics.

As is question 4.

I'd stay away from questions 6 and 8.

I've you've only got 2 days don't even go near 9.

3 is extremely straightforward.

2 can be tricky.

5 is nice, but not sure with only 2 days.

So, do 1,3,4,10 definitely. That's 66.6% if you get them out fully.

got 99% in Applied Maths in my LC. :D
    It doesn't give u a percentage so how do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

Mani09 wrote: »
    It doesn't give u a percentage so how do you know?

He probably viewed his script, as I plan to do for mine.

One warning OP, if you leave us hanging on this and don't keep us updated after the exam and come results time, I will find you and I will kill you.

Don't worry, my extra exam paper was ordered today,
    Sh!ts going down! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

jos360 wrote: »
    Don't worry, my extra exam paper was ordered today,
    Sh!ts going down! :D

I hope it goes well for you, but in all fairness you are trying to get a whole honours course done in 3 days, even with your experience in physics and maths if you are going into this with only you can teach yourself in the 3 days I would be surprised if you even manage to pass.

In saying that though, I think the ones closest to what you have done already would be Q1 and Q10, with the easiest to learn fresh being the collisions.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Pepperr wrote: »
    I hope it goes well for you, but in all fairness you are trying to get a whole honours course done in 3 days, even with your experience in physics and maths if you are going into this with only you can teach yourself in the 3 days I would be surprised if you even manage to pass.

In saying that though, I think the ones closest to what you have done already would be Q1 and Q10, with the easiest to learn fresh being the collisions.

Good luck!

I didn't realise when I made this thread, I actually only have like a day and a half, not three.

Challenge accepted none the less :)
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement