Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths course in 3 days (suggestions)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

If I were you, I'd get the methods from the book, but I'd move as quickly as I can to the exam questions. The questions generally repeat themselves to a certain extent, but it can be quite a big jump from the book to the exam questions.
    (I would also suggest starting now and just spending maybe 15 minutes or so on it per night. Practice is key for the questions.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nayrneleh

Good luck - I look forward to hearing how you got on!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MatthewRud

I'm an A/B student in Higher Maths, and the same in Physics. I struggle with Applied Maths. It is a bit of both, but at the same time it goes much further than both. Vectors in Applied Maths are everywhere, much more than in Physics. In-fact, vectors in Physics barely even get as tough as we learn on day one of Applied Maths. Furthermore, you have to be able to think in a specific way with Applied Maths, which can be difficult to adjust too from the beginning.

You're trying to do a 2 year course in 3 days. You would be lucky to get a C to be really honest. There is so much technique to the exam, and a particular method about approaching each question. The only good way to practice for the exam is to do past questions. I find the book to not be much help.

Each question taking about 20 minutes, you would really need a lot of time to familiarize yourself with all of the possible scenarios in 3 days. Typically, I would do the past 10 years of exam papers for each question, and at that you haven't dealt with every possibility.

People really do underestimate Applied Maths. Some people are great at it from the beginning. Others like me do fine, but struggle at times. Marking schemes don't tell you what you've done wrong, and often skip a lot of steps. If you can't go into your teacher to ask for help or what you've missed, your going to be in trouble. Lot to do in 3 days. My advice would probably be to scrap the text book altogether. Use resources like physicsteacher and skoool.ie. Then hit the exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

amymak wrote: »
    (I would also suggest starting now and just spending maybe 15 minutes or so on it per night. Practice is key for the questions.)

Not starting until Tuesday is part of the challenge :D

MatthewRud wrote: »
    I'm an A/B student in Higher Maths, and the same in Physics. I struggle with Applied Maths. It is a bit of both, but at the same time it goes much further than both. Vectors in Applied Maths are everywhere, much more than in Physics. In-fact, vectors in Physics barely even get as tough as we learn on day one of Applied Maths. Furthermore, you have to be able to think in a specific way with Applied Maths, which can be difficult to adjust too from the beginning.

You're trying to do a 2 year course in 3 days. You would be lucky to get a C to be really honest. There is so much technique to the exam, and a particular method about approaching each question. The only good way to practice for the exam is to do past questions. I find the book to not be much help.

Each question taking about 20 minutes, you would really need a lot of time to familiarize yourself with all of the possible scenarios in 3 days. Typically, I would do the past 10 years of exam papers for each question, and at that you haven't dealt with every possibility.

People really do underestimate Applied Maths. Some people are great at it from the beginning. Others like me do fine, but struggle at times. Marking schemes don't tell you what you've done wrong, and often skip a lot of steps. If you can't go into your teacher to ask for help or what you've missed, your going to be in trouble. Lot to do in 3 days. My advice would probably be to scrap the text book altogether. Use resources like physicsteacher and skoool.ie. Then hit the exam papers.

Yea I might just flick through the book for a few hours and then just hit the papers. If it were any other subject I wouldn't fear of doing it but I'v done a lot more of this type of stuff than just my leaving cert courses and I can learn it pretty quickly. Also, I've never failed an exam in my life (maybe Im just good at not turning up to hard exams :p), so I won't start anytime soon hopefully!

Also, our physics teacher is really into his subject so he rarely does the actual syllabus and just does other things with us. In other words, vectors are very much covered :P

I was planning to use physicsteacher and I've a few people on physicsfourms who could probably help if I get really stuck (they don't sleep much).
    Didn't think of skool.ie tho, thanks for that :D
    Good luck with the rest of your exams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ducky195

Go for it man haha
    I do HL maths and physics and am hoping for A's in both. Applied Maths isnt to bad and after Chemistry its all il be doing aswell. If the paper goes your way you could end up with a low B or a high C

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

jos360 wrote: »
    So I finish my last exam on the 19th (Chem) and I think I might sit the applied maths exam on the 21st.

I know nothing about the subject and I'm only going to give myself the 2 days to study.

I do HL Physics and Maths to A1 standard and I was just wondering if anyone could suggest the easiest six questions to do on the paper for someone who does phys and maths?

I know I probably won't get an A but my aim is a low B in two days just as a challenge :) (sad I know...)

Thx

First response to this post is literally: http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5kjq8WgRm1r0lh0wo1.mp3

Seriously, I think you're way underestimating this subject. I know someone who got 6 A1s in the Leaving (including HL Maths), and got a B2 in Applied Maths, having taken it in the Institute for 5th and 6th Year. I'm just finished 5th Yr myself, and have 5 of the 6 topics done (we do all of them though). I'm really good at Maths, and work my ass off for Applied Maths. I get A1s on all my class tests, but the Higher Level papers are freakin difficult. I have yet to get through a b part question without the aid of a marking scheme or my teacher (I take it in school as an elective 8th subject, so my teacher is also my Maths teacher, which is helpful because I always have questions).

Applied Maths is difficult, and I say that as someone who does very well in it. It's very predictable and with a few months of practising papers and revising I should be okay, but two days? You have got to be kidding. Fair play if you do well, but the average person I know who gets As in HL Maths and HL Physics still would do well to pass it. The overlap with Physics is minuscule; pretty much the entirety of the material on Newton's Laws that's done in Physics is covered in a page or two at the beginning of relevant chapter in our book, or so I'm told as I don't take Physics.

As I said, fair play if you do well. But please don't be surprised if you don't. Most people seem to think Applied Maths is an easy honour in the Leaving, if you're good at Maths and Physics. People overestimate how similar the subjects are. It's an entire 2 year course in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

Hate to add more negativity to the thread but this really is ridiculous

Being an A standard in Maths and Physics is not enough to do well in Applied Maths (mad as that sounds), I know a good few people in my class who will probably get A's in both but would struggle to pass the Applied Maths paper

It's a completely different subject and is incredibly difficult, there are some concepts in that I've been doing since TY (i started early) that I've only properly started to understand towards the end of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 29 afrocod

So how did it go?

I got all of 4, most of 1, and the rest was a bit of a disaster. For 7 I drew 2 diagrams and that was that.

I was in almost the same position as you, I was sitting as an external candidate, so with a day and a half to go I only had 1 question prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

this is comical..... really, you're terribly deluded, this thread exudes pretentious arrogance....
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001930/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

Just wondering if this Jos360 guy is the same one my teacher was talking about, Breda Disney. She tutored him a few days before the exam and apparently he picked up the subject easily enough.

No idea how it went though!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

OP, just out of curiosity what did you manage to get in applied maths in the end? :)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind knowing this as well...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He appears to be training to swim the channel now.
    Ahem.

spurious wrote: »
    Ahem.

He's some boy, our Jos...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Ahem.

I noticed this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Ahem.

Won't take him longer than 3 days...
    trololololol

Pepperr wrote: »
    Just wondering if this Jos360 guy is the same one my teacher was talking about, Breda Disney. She tutored him a few days before the exam and apparently he picked up the subject easily enough.

No idea how it went though!

Thats me :)

So just if anybody is wondering, I got an A2 :)

Thanks for the support (and somewhat entertaining cynicism).

• Advertisement

Ahem.

Haha not exactly, I was just curious :)

OP, just out of curiosity what did you manage to get in applied maths in the end? :)
    afrocod wrote: »
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind knowing this as well...
    So how did it go?

I got all of 4, most of 1, and the rest was a bit of a disaster. For 7 I drew 2 diagrams and that was that.

I was in almost the same position as you, I was sitting as an external candidate, so with a day and a half to go I only had 1 question prepared.
    nayrneleh wrote: »
    Good luck - I look forward to hearing how you got on!
    One warning OP, if you leave us hanging on this and don't keep us updated after the exam and come results time, I will find you and I will kill you.

A2, No need to find/kill :)

Thanks for the support (and somewhat entertaining cynicism).

Fair play... I done something similar and got a D1. You Da Man!

Fair play... I done something similar and got a D1. You Da Man!

Thanks man. Well it was balanced by the fact I made a balls of my HL maths :)

Thanks man. Well it was balanced by the fact I made a balls of my HL maths :)

Me too, I got a C3 and I'm devastated... Unfortunately it wasn't balanced by anything. I bet you got a B (nothing wrong with that, it's exactly what I wanted)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

...You did applied maths in 3 days and got an A2?!
    Oh wow. :pac: Good job. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Don't be ridiculous, what you're saying is impossible. I'm just being realistic
    ganon wrote: »
    Hate to add more negativity to the thread but this really is ridiculous
    this is comical..... really, you're terribly deluded, this thread exudes pretentious arrogance....
    Ahem.

:pac: Well done dude.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Everyone tells the truth on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

f9Ytn.jpg

• Advertisement

f9Ytn.jpg
    Everyone tells the truth on the Internet.

Want 'pics or gtfo' ?
    Pics it shall be!

And yea, people bs on forums, but how much of a sad motherfcker would I have to be to make this up :L I started this post because I needed advice on doing the subject.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement