Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly Paint!!!!

• 10-06-2012 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

:eek:

Seriously it STINKS!! OH unearthed a pot of paint not particularly ancient, regular Magnolia, and proceeded to give the spare room a once over in anticipation of visitors, he did not notice any smell as he applied it but, as it dried, Sweet Mother of Jebus!! Sweaty socks is the nearest description that I can come up with but, X 1000!!

We have tried another coat of new paint...no good....how might I neutralise this smell??

I would be most grateful for any advice...it is seriously bad:eek::o

I had no idea paint had a Best Before date!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Chop a few onions in half and leave them around the room. They absorb the smell :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Cheers Chucken but, tried all that, it persists!!!!!!!:eek:

Right now I'm looking at cancelling the visitors and erecting crime scene tape across the door!!

Any other ideas??? I bought sugar soap and will wash it down with that but I am not hopeful!!!

The windows have been open all week (he painted it last Sunday) and the door sealed but it has not diminished the smell to any great degree:(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Eh! Of course there's a stink! That's your nose's way of telling you that the VOC's/ toxic odours, added fungicides and metals are bad for your health! Keep your windows open till the smell is gone;)

Ummmm, must have been very out of date paint :D.

Hubby just said to try the onions again but put them in a pan of water. Also baking soda in a few jars around the room might help.
    He's asking if theres carpet in the room? If there is,it might have absorbed the smell.

Failing all that he says ask in B and Q, they might have other ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Was it Crown paint by any chance?

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    Eh! Of course there's a stink! That's your nose's way of telling you that the VOC's/ toxic odours, added fungicides and metals are bad for your health! Keep your windows open till the smell is gone;)

I appreciate the usual 'new paint' smell...even quite like it!!! This is something completely different, a foul smell:eek:

And it is Homebase emulsion........never, never again!!! However, it was ancient(not too!!)........so I really can't blame the product!!

Potatoes check
    Onions check
    Bread Soda check.......sadly, none of these having the desired effect.

Apart from fixing my problem, is this something new? I recall many houses having bits of paint stored in sheds and resurrecting them without the foul odour I am experiencing!! They did something similar with make-up a few years back...printed on a Best Before Date and added something to the product that smelled overtime....Marketing Huh!!:rolleyes:

Chucken wrote: »
    Ummmm, must have been very out of date paint :D.

Hubby just said to try the onions again but put them in a pan of water. Also baking soda in a few jars around the room might help.
    He's asking if theres carpet in the room? If there is,it might have absorbed the smell.

Failing all that he says ask in B and Q, they might have other ideas.

Chucken, you star....never thought of the carpet until you mentioned it...so I cleaned it yesterday with Vanish High Traffic Foam, Hoovered (with my Dyson;)) and then ran my steam cleaner over it..........SUCCESS:D:D:D:D

Went in there this morning and I've got my room back & I did it whilst singing "A Nation Once Again" ;) Private Joke

Thanks for all the help people, will never use old paint again!!!

Delighted you got it sorted :D

Keep up the singing,it's lovely ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

The water has gone stagnant in emulsion....It will take a while for smell to go....give it a week...

Advertisement