Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Croatia - Match thread

• 10-06-2012 1:27pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Euro-2012-Preview-Ireland-vs-Croatia-161145.jpg

So its today, Irelands first match of Euro 2012 and although I made threads for each group (will do a group D one before tommorow) I think we all know this game (and im sure all of Irelands games) deserves a thread of its own.

This is a head vs Heart game for me: head says draw if things dont go wrong, heart says we can take the 3 points in game one. Its a tough one to call tbh but we really have to get something out of itimo if we are to progress. Croatia will be thinking this way too though so I honestly think a draw isthe most likely result in this game and think it could be a cagey affair.

I didnt make this (not 100% on the croatian lineup but assume its right) but here are the teams:
    abCNFXgagP.jpg

Everyone knows Modric will be a threat as will be Srna (quality player) from the right and imo Dunne, St Ledger (always does well internationally) & Given will have to as usual be immense in green for us to get a result here. Our front four def have the quality to trouble their defenders though so we could win it if our defenders can perform to their best.

COYBIG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Go.on.you.boys.in.green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

You'll never, beat the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Head vs Heart all over the place for this game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I'll gladly take a scrappy 1-0 win. Watch McClean become a national legend by bagging the winner! COYBIG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

markc1184 wrote: »
    I'll gladly take a scrappy 1-0 win. Watch McClean become a national legend by bagging the winner! COYBIG!

This i will also go for,pure romantic result but we have all waited for days like this so Come on the boys!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

It will be interesting to see how Spain do against Italy today, i reckon Spain will win comfortably, 2-0.

As others have said, I think a draw is possible too but my heart is saying we could take them and win 1-0!

I've been waiting 10 years for this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

**** yer draw. 45-0. COME ON!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

That Croat lineup looks about right. Numerous players could come in but that lineup is completely feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Let's hope that by 9.30 tonight Irish eyes will be smiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

1-0 win and McGeady to play out of his skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I feel like a child on xmas eve waiting for kick off!Cmon Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Duff wrote: »
    1-0 win and McGeady to play out of his skin.

Hopefully your name sake and McGeady have an outstanding tournament cause that's what it is going to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Completely forgot about it :eek:

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Hopefully Spain beat 7 shades of ****e into Italy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Well if our normal game plan of stifling the opposition and playing on the counter and hoping to nick a goal from a set piece doesn't work and we don't score, at least we can resort to playing short passing football as we are used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

"We'll do them for yiz today!!!!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

It's the stage they all wanna play at so here's hoping they do their best. McGeady could be immense and an introduction off young McClean could be electric.

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Tis been way too long bah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Look at Denmark yesterday ,Ireland getting the rght result today wouldn't be half the shock that was ,Anything can and will happen in football ,So heart or head ,I feel positive about today 2-1 Ireland ,Spain and Italy draw ,,,

Ireland topping the group tonight :D

You heard it here first.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Head say draw, heart says sneaky win for the boys in green!

Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

0-0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Can't wait! Hope we get off to a decent start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Still makes the hair on my neck stand up:D

Also, I noticed on the video it was this very day in 1990 that we drew with England!

COME ON LADS WE CAN DO IT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I'll be watching both matches tonight with about 20 Italians, they're all up for the BIG, but I wonder how they'll feel when we nick their qualification spot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Mega celebrations as Spain 1 - 1 Italy final whistle result

Ireland can nick it 1 - 0

Then a shock result against Spain will see us through

C'mon the lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Can't wait for this game! I'm thinking we will get a penalty at some point in this game. I am of course basing this on nothing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I reckon it could be 3-2 tonight with a Croatian sending off and a penalty for Ireland. Spain and Italy match will be boring, but I reckon Italy will grab a late winner.

antodeco wrote: »
    I reckon it could be 3-2 tonight with a Croatian sending off and a penalty for Ireland. Spain and Italy match will be boring, but I reckon Italy will grab a late winner.

Can't see us scoring 3 tbh! Italy looking strong so far, still can't believe Spain aren't playing a forward!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

doyle 1-1..33/1. :)

• Advertisement

Nozebleed wrote: »
    doyle 1-1..33/1. :)

Dunne 2-1 201/1 ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

20 bottles of Bud on ice, curtains drawn, RTE HD with the volume turned up to the bol1x.... C'MON IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Well that Italy v Spain game showed that both teams are potential winners of the group. We really need to go for the win tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

reaching fever pitch! lets go top of the table tonight and stay there...

COYBIG!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Benny Cake wrote: »
    20 bottles of Bud on ice, curtains drawn, RTE HD with the volume turned up to the bol1x.... C'MON IRELAND!!!
    Jaysus, if you like to drink piss I could have provided some for free. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Benny Cake wrote: »

1.5ltrs of Coke on ice, curtains wide open despite it being 2am, perfect quality stream on with the volume to the max (and earphones in not to wake the missus)....C'MON Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Stupidly excited here. Optimism rising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

That Italy Spain game was a cracker. By the looks of that game we have to win this one if we are to have a chance of qualifying out of the group.

Time to step up to the plate, Irish teams have a great record in big tournaments. 'Mon the boys in green, get stuck in and win tonight.

Croatia need Ratikic or Perisic on the left to play at least as good as Dszadzudzak (sp?) did for Hungary.

Blaring put em under pressure now! COME ON IRELAND!!!

Pletikosa - Srna, Corluka, Schildenfeld, Strinic - Rakitic, Vukojevic, Modric, Perisic - Mandzukic, Jelavic

ireland lineup as expected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

AvC-IbvCQAAtihv.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Have sledge at 40/1 for first goal, long shot but have a weird feeling he'll pop up with one

• Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IMO one of Italy or Spain winning today would have suited Ireland better. I think a win is needed tonight now.

Although he hasn't shone so far for Croatia, Jelavic will be one to watch. Dunne better be on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

1.5ltrs of Coke on ice, curtains wide open despite it being 2am, perfect quality stream on with the volume to the max (and earphones in not to wake the missus)....C'MON Ireland.

3 pint bottles of Guinness bought in the African store in Piazza Garibaldi ready to go. Door open to hear the Italian reaction to their game as they toddle down the street. Volume way up on my crappy landlord's TV. C'MON IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Like other have said, the heart says yes, but the head says no. A win gives us a fighting chance to qualify, a draw makes it difficult, a loss makes it impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

population wrote: »
    3 pint bottles of Guinness bought in the African store in Piazza Garibaldi ready to go. Door open to hear the Italian reaction to their game as they toddle down the street. Volume way up on my crappy landlord's TV. C'MON IRELAND!!!

San Migeul already down the hatch, off now for the short stroll across the ramblas to an Irish bar for the game

So ****ing nervous. Been watching Robbie's goal against Germany on repeat to get me physched!

COYBIG!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

10 - No team scored more goals from set-pieces in qualifying than the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

In London, any streams of RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Only two beers left, been up since 9 this morning, hungover as fúck. Kick off at 4.45am for me, head to bed straight after the game to get two hours kip before getting up for work. Had planned to go to bed and then get up for this but stupidly decided to stay up for Spain -v- Italy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement