Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Croatia - Match thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

No James McClean at all. Disappointing game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Paparazzo wrote: »
    We weren't woeful, 15 shots to croatia's 20. And considering we had a definite peno not given, and their first goal was a complete fluke, we weren't that bad.
    Can't picture us getting anything against Spain or Italy though :(

We were. We were a shambles Bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

So disappointing, we usually build our results on the back of our defensive performances but our defence let us down tonight.

I thought we held our own in the 1st half but defensive errors cost us dearly. Most worrying thing is Croatia were poor too so doesn't bode well for the next 2 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ah dunno if I'm horny or hungry!

Have a **** onto a cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Subs were terrible from Trap. Why no wingers.

Ireland 2-1 Spain (Torres OG x2, Torres)
    Ireland 1-0 Italy (Balotelli OG)

'mon boys
    Cox looked like he gave a sh!t when he came on in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

El Spearo wrote: »
    fairly disagree with dunphy there...

i dont think many gave 100% out there...i dont mind losing to the better team, but i would want them to show more heart than tonight

Heart is overrated. How about playing some football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Trampas wrote: »
    Supporters in stadium did us proud
    Sick of being proud TBH.
    Would rather be winners

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

They Wouldn't get a kick in a stampede But that's what you deserve when you play anti football to get to a tournament and have all your best footballers in the stand or at home.

Victory for football.

Fortune favours the brave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No shape.
    No organisation.
    No imagination.
    No ****ing hope.

We were terrible.

****ing Simon Cox left midfeild.

Absolute joke tacticly.

Worst thing is we have two more years of this ****e.

• Advertisement

Cox looked like he gave a sh!t when he came on in fairness.

Both Cox and Walters were excellent and Long wasnt bad either. We hadnt a proper chance other than the goal in the first half tonight. 2nd half we created numerous chances. Andrews could have a brace alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Disappointing :(... and seeing how Spain and Italy played earlier on today I'm starting to doubt if we'll even get a single point let alone get out of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well that was a very painful watch. The fans at the match were a credit to the country. We don't have a skillful midfield and in reality those who are there are not allowed play at all, tactically we do not play any meaningful football at all. I actually feel for our forward players because beyond a ball being launched up at them in the air they have nothing to work off. I believe an Irish team allowed to play could have taken that Croatian team.

If we play anything like this in the next two games we have a good chance to become the worst team in the Championship. Very disappointing as I truly believe this Irish team can play so much better if they are allowed to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Paparazzo wrote: »
    We weren't woeful, 15 shots to croatia's 20. And considering we had a definite peno not given, and their first goal was a complete fluke, we weren't that bad.
    Can't picture us getting anything against Spain or Italy though :(

Agree with that best performance ever from Ireland in reality, results don't tell the whole truth.

Never noticed that foul on Ward for the croatia goal. Shafted by the ref! Makes no difference now, roll on spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Bilic 1-0 Trap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Ref not good.

You guys were unlucky with all 3 goals. Esp 1/3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Seaneh wrote: »
    No shape.
    No organisation.
    No imagination.
    No ****ing hope.

We were terrible.

Absolute joke tacticly.

Oh **** off will ya ... here's the baby , where's the bathwater so you can **** them both out.

You were naive if you thought we'd walk Croatia ... I still believe we can draw with Spain and beat Italy ... unfortunately I still think that wont be enought but **** off with you're ****e-ology

dsmythy wrote: »
    Bilic 1-0 Trap

Was actually 3-1, but whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

RayCon wrote: »
    Oh **** off will ya ... here's the baby , where's the bathwater so you can **** them both out.

You were naive if you thought we'd walk Croatia ... I still believe we can draw with Spain and beat Italy ... unfortunately I still think that wont be enought but **** off with you're ****e-ology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Simon Cox on the left wing will forever be one of life's great mysteries. McGeady hadn't done much apart from the free-kick, but that sub totally gave zero balance on the left flank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Hes right with every thing he said and whats worse its hardly a new thing this is ireland nearly every single game under trap every game its a nervous ride while we watch ireland self destruct after scoreing a goal against nearly any level opposition

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

gandalf wrote: »
    If we play anything like this in the next two games we have a good chance to become the worst team in the Championship. Very disappointing as I truly believe this Irish team can play so much better if they are allowed to.

I think we are probably the worst team in the tournament. Us and Ukraine being the bottom 2 anyway. I don't think we can play much better either, not in a technical sense. That said, I don't think we're out of this thing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

You can't the Irish self-deprecation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

most disappointing bit is we weren't ripped apart. 3 very very sloppy goals conceded and Shay didn't have much else to do. Denied a clear penno too.

Assuming the best we can do v Spain is a draw, i suppose we want Italy to beat Croatia leaving the group as follows:

Italy - 4
    Croatia - 3
    Spain - 2
    Ireland - 1

Hence if Spain beat Croatia and we beat Italy we go through. Optimism.

Realism is now looking nil points Eurovision style. Even Jedward beat that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

It's probably all about damage limitation from now on and the team can still do us proud if they show some real fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'd like to remind the 'we're only Ireland' people that Croatia is a smaller country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'd like to remind the 'we're only Ireland' people that Croatia is a smaller country.
    Best left back is back home watching the match. Our best midfielder is watching the match from the stands and oir brightest attacking talent is sat on the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Seaneh wrote: »
    No shape.
    No organisation.
    No imagination.
    No ****ing hope.

We were terrible.

Absolute joke tacticly.

i never thought we would walk over Croatia but I expected us to give them a ****ing game.

We are probably going to have the worst point and goal total in the Championships.

We hadnt a clue what to do on the pitch.

Traps fans claimed we were "tight at the back" and "hard to break down" and "organised".

Are we ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Agree with Dunphy :/ *dirty*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

What's Eamo's take on it? I need an opinion for work tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

Bilic got it spot on. had his midfield and forwards press the Irish backs and not give them any time on the ball. Worked perfectly. Defenders panicking and playing silly passes.

The goals were fierce unlucky. A flukey header. A possible foul on Ward for the second. In off the keeper for the third. More bad luck in one game than we've had to endure in years.

Our goal was nicely taken. Throw in a decent penalty appeal and the result could have been a bit different.

One thing I hate is right footed wingers playing on the left and vice versa. It becomes terribly predictable cutting in all the time. Everyone saw how good McGeady was on the right against Bosnia but he never seems to get a look there with Ireland.

Cox on the left? I don't get that at all.

Ah well, onwards and upwards. We're still only a point behind Spain and Italy. Éire abú!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why are people putting all the blame on trap, the players let him down tonight, that wasnt a typical irish performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

You were naive if you thought we'd walk Croatia ... I still believe we can draw with Spain and beat Italy ...

lol.
    Deluded?Confused?Drunk?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

nuxxx wrote: »

Ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

People need some perspective.

We were unlucky today. Goal one was a deflected cross, goal two was both offside, a foul and a sliced clearance all in one, and goal three came off the post and Shay's head.

No rub of the green there at all. Croatia were the better team, but Italy are better than us and we have done well against them the last 4 occassions having not lost once. We are regularly a worse team. Russia are better than us too. We still got a draw in Moscow.

The difference is that we were lucky then, and unlucky tonight. Thats football. The system that got us there is the same system that saw us lose 3-1 tonight. Let's not lose our heads.

On the plus side, Andrews looked pretty decent all game and did himself no harm finding a premiership club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why are people putting all the blame on trap, the players let him down tonight, that wasnt a typical irish performance.

It was a typical Irish performance. Just happened that the opposition were good in front of goal with their chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On a good night Ireland are the Stoke City of international football, well organised, obdurate and can find the goal to nab a result. However tonight they were Wolves, Far too open, sloppy in defence with a couple of fairly strange substitutions thrown in the mix by a manager who didn't seem to know what he was doing. Ireland were robbed of a penalty and that might have just have swung the game back for a draw but unlikely. The Croates have better footballers who'd played better football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

nuxxx wrote: »

It's one thing to agree with Dunphy, but it's another thing to keep ones mouth shut until/waiting til things go wrong .

As Brady said why didn't he say all this before kick off?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Have to say I've seen Ireland play worse, Russia away and Armenia at home in particular, but the off-the-line defending and non-clinical finishing in those two games can only last so long.

• Advertisement

Each game has a life of its own and football is a funny old game. Write us off at your peril is what i say. We played muck against France in Croke Park back in 2009 but played the game of our lives against them in Paris. If we dont succeed then fair enough sure we were up against fantastic footballing sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Sick of being proud TBH.
    Would rather be winners

that's never going to happen

Leiva wrote: »
    It's one thing to agree with Dunphy, but it's another thing to keep ones mouth shut until/waiting til things go wrong .

Dunphy is a reporter by day, by night he's:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Okay I am over it now.

I am going to build the Spanish game up in my head from this point onwards to exacerbate the disappointment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Leiva wrote: »

Dunphy has been saying it for 4 years.

I admit he wasn't vocal right before the game but to say he has kept his mouth shut is not really correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Feel bad for Brady tbh

• Advertisement

"You'll never beat the Irish" ............well excepts maybe tonight but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Well not a great start, but I'm glad we were are here at the finals rather than wondering what may have been.

Given 6: Not his fault for the goals

Ward 4: Found out badly and kept giving the ball away
    Dunne 6: Slow start, but got better
    St. Ledger 6: Got the goal. Looked nervous at times
    O'Shea 5: Needed him to attack more. His defending wasn't great either

McGeady 4: Poor
    Whelan 5: Needs to stamp his authority more. Was invisible for long periods
    Andrews 6: Improved late on, but was overrun in midfield
    Duff 6: Look dangerous when in position which was rare

Doyle 6: Though he played OK and tried to win the ball. Didn't think he should have been subbed
    Keane 4: Had a shout for a penalty. Overall he was extremely poor, but in fairness he had no service

SUBS:
    Walters 5: Won a lot of the ball.
    Cox 5: Tried hard but why was he on the wing?
    Long N/A

Overall disappointing performance. Still don't think Croatia are great shakes, but we really didn't get started. Hopefully Trap will use a different formation. I think we will need to have 5 in midfield and use either Cox or Walters upfront and leave Keane on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What's Eamo's take on it? I need an opinion for work tomorrow.

Just go into work drunk and you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

My fear now is that we'll be seen as the whipping boys of the group, and Spain & Italy now not only need/expect to beat us, but need to beat us by more than the 2 goal margin of tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Why was Cox brought on instead of McClean? Shocking sub.

• Advertisement
Advertisement