Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers Sparkling Ale Kit - Fermentables

Options
  • 10-06-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, making my third batch of kit-based home-brew and this time went Coopers Sparkling Ale from HomeBrewWest. I went with the bundle option: All malt 1Kg extra light SprayMalt. So I received the wort concentrate and 1kg of Munton's Light Spraymalt. I figured that the bundle option would cover all of the fermentables I needed, but looking at the kit instructions, I'm not so sure.

Kit instructions suggest:
    1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract
    500g Light Dry Malt
    300g dextrose/sugar
    So that's 2.3kg of recommended fermentables, whereas the bundle I received came with just 1kg of light Spraymalt. Do I need to add additional fermantables? Should I use the 1kg of Light Spraymalt and 1kg of brewing sugar? confused!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Just the kilo of spraymalt should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great stuff BeerNut, thanks! Any thoughts on how using 1kg of Spraymalt versus the 2.3kgs of fermentables will affect the flavour profile/ABV? Will it make a very thin ale?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Any thoughts on how using 1kg of Spraymalt versus the 2.3kgs of fermentables will affect the flavour profile/ABV? Will it make a very thin ale?
    Spraymalt is less fermentable than sugar so it definitely won't be thinner. Sugar in quantity can give a cidery tang to beers, especially pale ones, and you won't get that with spraymalt.

Advertisement