Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing car insurance company

Options
  • 10-06-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, I am currently insured with aviva, was happy with the quote they gave me year ago for my 1.2 punto. Bought an audi a3 1.6 month ago, and cost when UP, for like 300e :o Now I shopped around a bit and allianz is giving me best quote so far. Its like twice as cheap. So I wanted to know how to switch insurers? Do I first have to apply for new policy, and then cancel the old one, or old one cancels automatically? Or cancel old one and get a knew one after? Its in a midterm of my NCB so I guess I will lost six month I have with current insurer? Ohh Can I cancel my Insurance if I have unpaid bill?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Most companies now include details about early termination in their policy document, I suggest you download the Aviva motor policy document from their website.

You mention an 'unpaid' bill, if that's a reference to a claim, most insurers will not allow you to cancel midterm if there's an outstanding claim. If you mean that you're paying on an instalment plan and you're overdue on a payment, you may find that you've actually borrowed the money to pay the full year premium and the monthly payments are going to a financial institution who have already paid Aviva the full premium for the year so cancelling may not be as easy as you think.

Your existing policy will not be automatically be cancelled if you take out a new policy, that's what happens if you move your bank current account or move your mobile from O2 to Vodafone and want to port the number. There is no equivalent procedure with motor insurance, it will be up to you to ensure that you have continuous coverage by the simple expedient of not driving your car in the time that elapses between terminating the old policy and starting the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sameman

Thanks a million bud :)

Advertisement