Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OoP (Out of Position) Players

Options
  • 10-06-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Watching the fairly intense Toulouse - Toulon Top 14 Final yesterday, I couldn't help but notice the erstwhile Australian flanker George Smith playing at 11. It got me thinking...

How many other players can people think of that were noticeably played out of position? So I'm not talking locks swapping 4 for 5 or vice-versa, even scrum halves playing as 10s is less impressive with the prominence of Morgan Parra and Dimitri Yachvilli...

I'll get the oval rolling:
    1. John Smit switching from hooker to prop
    2. Denis Leamy filling in at 12 for an injury ravaged Munster towards the end of a Magners League season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think D. Wallace was tried at 12 as well. Failed tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Bergamasco at 9 has to be the biggest failure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

AFAIR Niall Ronan was tried out a couple of times at scrum half in his last season at Leinster.

Speaking of the Eye-talians, using Botes at 10 was a failure too, he's an excellent SH.

Isa Nacewa makes an excellent flanker to pack down the scrums. ;)

• Advertisement

R Samo played on the wing and at 8 for Australia during the last world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

.ak wrote: »
    I think D. Wallace was tried at 12 as well. Failed tho.

Played wing once, if not twice, for Munster. Niall Ronan played 9 and 12 also for Leinster A. Andy Farrell played flanker, outhalf and centre at Sarries. Cian Healy played hooker throughout schools and with Ireland schools as well as centre for Clontarf once or twice. Ben Foden spent a spell playing 9 a few years ago. Radike Samo has played both 8 and wing for Australia. Richardt Strauss has played at openside and hooker at professional level. I'm sure there are plenty more!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Mike Tindall is another one, played flanker.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

isnt there a super 15 hooker who starter out as a winger?? the name aludes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I remember Agen had a player who played loose head and on the wing. That's was the most extreme one I've ever seen.

Of course Munster fans would fancy Marcus Horan as a bit of a winger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Nigel Brady sent on as loosehead prop by McLaughlin.
    Niall O'Connor sent on.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Isa Nacewa makes an excellent flanker to pack down the scrums. ;)

Douglas Howletit did it a few years ago with munster ;)

I remember Agen had a player who played loose head and on the wing. That's was the most extreme one I've ever seen.

Of course Munster fans would fancy Marcus Horan as a bit of a winger

He was almost better on the wing for us than Dowling! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

Watching the fairly intense Toulouse - Toulon Top 14 Final yesterday, I couldn't help but notice the erstwhile Australian flanker George Smith playing at 11.
    [/LIST]

Kiwi David Smith played at 11 for Toulon yesterday afaik...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Pierre Spies played a few games at wing for the Bulls a few seasons ago

chupacabra wrote: »

He should have stayed there

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Isaac Boss and Piri Weepu have played back three

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Will23 wrote: »
    Kiwi David Smith played at 11 for Toulon yesterday afaik...

Yep, George Smith was with Stade as a medical joker. But he played centre for them against Toulon in the Amlin a few weeks ago.
    GerM wrote: »
    Ben Foden spent a spell playing 9 a few years ago.

Foden started off as a 9, and Sale moved him to wing and fullback. I was looking through some old magazines a while back and found an interview with him as he moved to Northampton and he said a large part of his reasoning for moving was so he could play at scrumhalf. I think the move to the back 3 was very much under protest until he realised he was actually fairly handy there.

I think it is only in the last few seasons he has started working on his fullback game.

Isaac Boss and Piri Weepu have played back three

I'm seeing a trend here...

So basically Kiwis can play 1-to-15. ;)

I'm seeing a trend here...

So basically Kiwis can play 1-to-15. ;)

Weepu could easily "fit in" at 1, 2 or 3 I'd say too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Fishooks12 wrote: »

i wonder why....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sandyfordboi

sydthebeat wrote: »

schalk brits maybe he plays as a hooker for saracens maybe was a wing in super rugby?

Michalak scrum half that plays as fly half for the sharks and france when he plays!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thomas O Leary was a full forward Hurling player who kept getting put at scrum half by Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

sydthebeat wrote: »

Craig Burden for the Sharks it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

chupacabra wrote: »

Was he good? Because he seems far more suited there than at 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Bergamasco at 9 has to be the biggest failure

He also played on the wing several times for Italy before he told whoever the coach was that he had had enough.
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Thomas O Leary was a full forward Hurling player who kept getting put at scrum half by Ireland.

IIRC TOL has also played 10, 13 and both wings for Munster

Jim Williams was another who was a winger before he was a 6/8.

I remember Jeremy Davidson making his debut against Fiji on the flank - not an experiment that was ever repeated....

The English prop (loads of strength, a little less technique) whose name escapes me was a flanker before he was a prop.

BOD played at fullback for the lions in a couple of the warm up games on his first tour - like a fish out of water. He also played a European pool game at outhalf against Toulouse and in Toulouse - pretty sure that the score was >50 and he never played there again.

Eric Miller filled in at fullback on a couple of occasions for Ireland - actually looked pretty handy but he hated it.

There are loads of examples of players moving from the back row to the second row.

Neil Jenkins at fullback for the lions in '97. He may have kicked the lions to victory but I've rarely seen a more uncomfortable fullback!

John Hayes played in the 2nd row before he moved to prop (around the time that lifting was allowed IIRC).

Christian Cullen playing 13 when he was the greatest 15 in the world.

Umaga made a successful switch from winger to 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Clearlier wrote: »
    He also played on the wing several times for Italy before he told whoever the coach was that he had had enough.

IIRC TOL has also played 10, 13 and both wings for Munster

Jim Williams was another who was a winger before he was a 6/8.

I remember Jeremy Davidson making his debut against Fiji on the flank - not an experiment that was ever repeated....

The English prop (loads of strength, a little less technique) whose name escapes me was a flanker before he was a prop.

BOD played at fullback for the lions in a couple of the warm up games on his first tour - like a fish out of water. He also played a European pool game at outhalf against Toulouse and in Toulouse - pretty sure that the score was >50 and he never played there again.

Eric Miller filled in at fullback on a couple of occasions for Ireland - actually looked pretty handy but he hated it.

There are loads of examples of players moving from the back row to the second row.

Neil Jenkins at fullback for the lions in '97. He may have kicked the lions to victory but I've rarely seen a more uncomfortable fullback!

John Hayes played in the 2nd row before he moved to prop (around the time that lifting was allowed IIRC).

Christian Cullen playing 13 when he was the greatest 15 in the world.

Umaga made a successful switch from winger to 13.

i woud have paid a large sum of money to have seen that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭geotrig

Shane Williams played scrum half before he moved to the wing

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Clearlier wrote: »

Andrew Sheridan played in all three rows. He was always just the wrong size fro each position I felt. Too tall to scrummage, too heavy too lift, too immobile to break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

twinytwo wrote: »
    i woud have paid a large sum of money to have seen that:D

To be fair it was far from being BOD's fault. It was very early on his career when Leinster hadn't learned how to compete away from home. However he was never suited to playing out half. His kicking technique even for a centre is pretty average.

Just remembered that Austin Healy played every single position in the backline (as well as referee).

Advertisement