Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OoP (Out of Position) Players

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Andrew Trimble played in the back row for Ireland only the other week against the Barbarians albeit through an injury crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Clearlier wrote: »
    To be fair it was far from being BOD's fault. It was very early on his career when Leinster hadn't learned how to compete away from home. However he was never suited to playing out half. His kicking technique even for a centre is pretty average.

Indeed. Wouldn't hold it against BOD too much. It was 2002 so he was established at the time. Leinster were short on options and had to play Toulouse just when they were on the cusp of becoming the great team of the early decade. Final score was 43-7 but that doesn't reflect the game. We were actually competitive before their far superior bench ran riot in the last quarter. 3-0 at half time according to the report.

BOD played outhalf a couple of years ago away to Connacht for a half when Sexton was injured and we were panicking about what to do for the Toulouse semi final. Went very badly though and Berne played against Toulouse. Last time I recall him stepping in there was for the second half of the NZ hammering in 2010. ROG was on the field but BOD actually stepped in at first receiver for the last 30 minutues. This was when the game had lost its structure and it actually worked well as he just went at them and offloaded. Was completely unpredictable. ROG was tucked away further out the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I remember Neil Francis calling on EOS to pick BOD at 10 in the 2007 WC!

Didn't he play out half until he was 18 or 19?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »

Wouldn't be surprised, the really good kids tend to be put in positions where they get the ball as much as possible and can control the game.

Yes, played a bit there and at Irish underage level but moved out to accommodate Paddy Wallace. Played his rugby at 12 on the WC winning side but took the kicks at goal. Moved out to 13 gradually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Lots of the best backs seem to be out halves or full back at schools level, before being moved to other positions when they join teams where there are loads of players of high ability.

It seems that the schools put the best players in those positions when they only have a few genuine talents to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

durkadurka wrote: »
    Lots of the best backs seem to be out halves or full back at schools level, before being moved to other positions when they join teams where there are loads of players of high ability.

It seems that the schools put the best players in those positions when they only have a few genuine talents to work with.

Will Genia at ten probably counts as well

• Registered Users Posts: 25 attic

Will Genia at ten probably counts as well

Surprised noone go this one. D'Arcy as picked as winger when he was really a centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

yeah he was outhalf for Rock SCT back in 1997, he'd been scrumhalf understudy to Ciaran Scally for years before then.

still remember the SCT semi final in lansdowne road back in 97, BOD missed a drop goal in front of the posts in injury time and Rock lost to Clongowes featuring Des Dillon & D'arcy (at 15) great match.

much as i dont like him but Austin Healy is probably the best example of a utility back there is.

Leo Cullen was irish school's no. 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

attic wrote: »
    Surprised noone go this one. D'Arcy as picked as winger when he was really a centre.

D'Arcy began life as a full-back, moved to wing and only played centre when BOD got injured in 2003/4, so you could argue that he's being played out of position in the centre...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

the whole ireland team under declan kidney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Tony Buckley playing prop instead of manning the burger vending outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Tony Buckley playing prop instead of manning the burger vending outlet.

Always felt he lacked technique really, he was a skilful, powerful player who couldn't scrummage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Denis Leamy playing at 12 a few years ago in Musgrave Park in a Munster Vs Leinster celtic league game. (for the first half anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Rob Henderson playing 10 for Munster a few years ago, pretty sure he punctured a ball each time he kicked one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Fairly sure quite a few mobile hookers started as flankers, Steve Thompson was a recent one. Ireland also seemed in the past to try a lock in the backrow for 1 or 2 games. Jeremy Davidson, Paddy Johns, not sure if they did it with Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

No more personal jabs at players. I've already banned someone over this. It's an interesting thread, let's not make it a closed thread thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Any number of quality NZ fullbacks shifted to centre for crucial world-cup fixtures. Cullen in '99, MacDonald in '03, Muliainia in '07. Defies belief really...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Swiwi wrote: »
    Any number of quality NZ fullbacks shifted to centre for crucial world-cup fixtures. Cullen in '99, MacDonald in '03, Muliainia in '07. Defies belief really...

Funnily enough the centres who go to the wing tend to work out. Kahui, Umaga, and Nonu all did well on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Funnily enough the centres who go to the wing tend to work out. Kahui, Umaga, and Nonu all did well on the wing.

I think any half-decent player with a bit of speed & size can make a fair go of playing wing. Centre & full-back on the other hand require skills like reading the game and positional sense etc. It is clear (as so generously demonstrated by NZ on not one not two but THREE consecutive world cups) that centre & fullback are not interchangeable...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

WeeBushy wrote: »
    AFAIR Niall Ronan was tried out a couple of times at scrum half in his last season at Leinster.

Pretty sure that was centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

CatFromHue wrote: »

It seems to be that a lot of centres are introduced to test rugby on the wing. Off the top of my head on top of those mentioned Mortlock and JdV all appeared initially on the wing. JOC too, I know he's yet to settle into on position but he's not going to be a winger, far too talented. You could mention Earls as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

I'm nearly positive that Cian Healy came on as a late sub for Leinster in the back row in a rabo game the season before last. Anyone else remember that or am I just making this up? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Dom Ryan played out in the wing for a chunk of a game last season. The opposing winger almost shat himself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

blackhound wrote: »
    I'm nearly positive that Cian Healy came on as a late sub for Leinster in the back row in a rabo game the season before last. Anyone else remember that or am I just making this up? :o

Was that not Strauss? And speaking of Strauss he was originally an openside flanker...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Strauss did that towards the end of last season didn't he? Can't remember against who.

I also remember seanie throwing line out ball in a HEC game a year or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

.ak wrote: »
    I think D. Wallace was tried at 12 as well. Failed tho.

the Wallaces were very versatile - to have a prop, flanker and winger all lions - usually families produce only one type of skillful player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

thebaz wrote: »
    the Wallaces were very versatile - to have a prop, flanker and winger all lions - usually families produce only one type of skillful player

The Faaingas disagree and they're identical twins.

danthefan wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was centre.

Was both. He played scrum half for Leinster A.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Could we argue that Kidney's putting Sexton at 12 is out of position?

Advertisement