Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants in potted buxus

Options
  • 10-06-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Ive 2 small buxus in pots and both have a colony of ants when I took them out of their pots for planting in the garden

One had a lot of eggs and I sprayed it with the hose

Going from the net I could submerge the pots in water for at least an hour or use ant powder on them.

What I want to know is if I'm planting in the garden is it important to make sure I get rid of all the ants in case they come back as I see some forums say theyre good for the plant too though one of the buxus has some black leaves but that maybe because the pot is too small?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bonsaiboy

The last two bonsai trees i repotted had lots of ants. I didnt do anything to try remove them, I think they are good to help drainage\air if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭virino

I believe the main danger with ants is that they farm aphids, which produce that black substance which is honeydew that the ants love to bring to their offspring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bonsaiboy

its complicated so i leave them sort themselves out :-)
    Some ants do farm aphids but some plants actively attract ants by having "Extrafloral nectaries"
    which produce nectar outside the flower to attract predatory insects, including ants. These predatory insects will eat both the nectar and any plant-eating insects around, thus functioning as 'bodyguards'.

Advertisement