Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I afford?

Options
  • 10-06-2012 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Me and my friend want to share an apartment in Dublin, preferably near the city, preferably near Thomas st. We're both 19 and she'd have a part time job (hopefully) and is signing on for the summer, I'm signing on and will be on the dole until I find a job (I won't be in college this year so I can have a full time job). It'd have to be two bedroom and I was thinking should I look into rent allowance? How much would you say we could afford? And does any one know anything about rent allowance? Should my friend apply for the grant to get some money to contribute to this as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Me and my friend want to share an apartment in Dublin, preferably near the city, preferably near Thomas st. We're both 19 and she'd have a part time job (hopefully) and is signing on for the summer, I'm signing on and will be on the dole until I find a job (I won't be in college this year so I can have a full time job). It'd have to be two bedroom and I was thinking should I look into rent allowance? How much would you say we could afford? And does any one know anything about rent allowance? Should my friend apply for the grant to get some money to contribute to this as well?

You gotta be living there for 6 months before you can get rent allowance; http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Why Thomas St? Got a couple of grand to spare?

http://www.daft.ie/21209101 €1000 monthly between the two of ye. Probably another months rent for the deposit, so do you have €2000 and do you really think you can live on whatever you get on the dole, minus €500 (each)?

Advise you to get a job first, and then maybe think about moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

How much would you say we could afford? QUOTE]

how can you possibly expect anyone to be able to answer that without knowing your income, expenditure etc!!
    Do a household budget and figure it out for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Thomas st is where she'll be in college and I'm always there for an organisation I'm involved in. My plan is to save up over the summer(I think she will too) and to get extra money in flea markets- I've loads of stuff that can be resold and my uncle designs clothes which various family members have sold in markets for a cut in profits. I'm also trying to forward a babysitting career and can offer study grinds. I'm not sure what my income will be or how much a minimum household budget would be because I'm new to this which is why I'm asking here in case someone a bit wiser an help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pancakes rule

Doesn't have to be on Thomas street, but it'd be excellent to get somewhere close enough to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rather than get a place between both of ye, try to get a place that has two spare rooms. Generally, the more people in the house, the cheaper it is, but just make sure that there's enough room for all people to live there. Look for a 4 person house share with 20 minutes walk that has two rooms that you can rent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement