Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Raeone wrote: »
    So 100% sure I will still have to do the orientation? Thanks.

Yes 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

hey guys, how do u know if u got in through hear or not???? does there have to be a letter of hear?? not sure if i got through hear or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

DylanII wrote: »
    Yes 100%

How do you know for sure? Im in the same position as I got over the Min requirements so I didn't even need HEAR in the end. What do you mean, "you're still a HEAR student"?

I also got an Email congratulating me and it said "If" you accept one of the HEAR places. I had already accepted CAO at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

WestIRL wrote: »
    How do you know for sure? Im in the same position as I got over the Min requirements so I didn't even need HEAR in the end. What do you mean, "you're still a HEAR student"?

I also got an Email and it said "If" you accept one of the HEAR places.
    You were accepted to HEAR months ago, regardless of whether or not you made use of the potential points reduction for the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

I also got an Email and it said "If" you accept one of the HEAR places.

You get your offer through CAO. Obviously, if you have met the minimum requirements, then you don't need the HEAR point reduction. This just means that you're not using that aspect of what they have to offer. When people say, "you're still a HEAR student", you still get another few advantages. (like the free photocopying etc.) So technically, you are availing of HEAR, but you just didn't need them to get you in on reduced points. :)

• Advertisement

Yes 100%

I also got an Email congratulating me and it said "If" you accept one of the HEAR places. I had already accepted CAO at this stage.

It means that you will still get the extra academic, personal and financial support while at college. If you were told that you were eligible for HEAR and were offered a place via the CAO then you are an access/hear student.
    Glitt_123 wrote: »
    hey guys, how do u know if u got in through hear or not???? does there have to be a letter of hear?? not sure if i got through hear or not??

If you were told you are eligible for HEAR and then got a CAO offer then you got in via HEAR.

You get your offer through CAO. Obviously, if you have met the minimum requirements, then you don't need the HEAR point reduction. This just means that you're not using that aspect of what they have to offer. When people say, "you're still a HEAR student", you still get another few advantages. (like the free photocopying etc.) So technically, you are availing of HEAR, but you just didn't need them to get you in on reduced points. :)

Oh I see. So where can I find a list of these benefits? Did someone mention something about financial assistance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Oh I see. So where can I find a list of these benefits? Did someone mention something about financial assistance?

Go to accesscollege.ie to see the benefits :)

This link tells you a little bit.
    http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/benefits.php

From what I've heard myself, they might offer a lump sum of money depending on your circumstances (between €200-€1000), free photocopying and printing, access to a special library where you can get the books you need (textbooks). You can also get access to some of the Professors' notes. There's probably more but that's what I've heard thus far.

I don't think there is a list. Every college offers different supports

• Advertisement

If you were told you are eligible for HEAR and then got a CAO offer then you got in via HEAR.

How does that make sense? If I got over Min points then I didn't "get in via HEAR", I had enough points anyway. Why then did my email say "IF you are accepting a place under HEAR".

How does that make sense? If I got over Min points then I didn't "get in via HEAR", I had enough points anyway. Why then did my email say "IF you are accepting a place under HEAR".

I don't see what the issue is. Do you think that you are too good for it? Why apply so?

The email was most likely written before the offers were even made.

I think when they say 'If', they are saying this is what will happen if you accept it. It means you already have it, but theoretically you can refuse it if you choose to. I got a letter stating that I was eligible for a place, but I didn't formally accept it. I just have it through the CAO offer, despite having more than enough points. I've technically already accepted by not refusing via the phone.

I don't see what the issue is. Do you think that you are too good for it? Why apply so?

No but do we have to walk around with a big HEAR badge on our chest for the year or something. I hardly don't think I'm too good for it when I've told all my friends I was applying for it. It's just a don't want people to thing I got less points than the Min req when I got more: my course dropped so if I had to go by last years points I would have had to use HEAR. But why would I want people to thing I got less points then what I got?

No but do we have to walk around with a big HEAR badge on our chest for the year or something. I hardly don't think I'm too good for it when I've told all my friends I was applying for it. It's just a don't want people to thing I got less points than the Min req when I got more: my course dropped so if I had to go by last years points I would have had to use HEAR. But why would I want people to thing I got less points then what I got?

Of course you don't have to wear a badge. That's just ridiculous.

No one knows that you are a hear student except you and the access office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I wouldn't mind telling people I had less points in the slightest, aslong as I had my course. Still can't believe I missed out by 10 points haha. :/ xD

I wouldn't mind telling people I had less points in the slightest, aslong as I had my course. Still can't believe I missed out by 10 points haha. :/ xD

Oh hard luck :(

Did you get another course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Awh it's okay haha, yeah I have one that's pretty similar to the one I wanted.. So it's not too bad. :)

Awh it's okay haha, yeah I have one that's pretty similar to the one I wanted.. So it's not too bad. :)

That's not so bad.

One if my friends didn't get anything. She got about 530. Her back up course was one that was 490 last year and everything rose. Now she has to wait until next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

That's not so bad.

One if my friends didn't get anything. She got about 530. Her back up course was one that was 490 last year and everything rose. Now she has to wait until next year.

Thats horrible. :/
    Makes me feel bad for complaining now.

• Advertisement

biohaiid wrote: »
    That's not so bad.

Thats horrible. :/
    Makes me feel bad for complaining now.

No need. If I hadn't gotten my first choice last year I would have broken the internet with all my complaining. But that was mostly because there was no comparable course.

No need. If I hadn't gotten my first choice last year I would have broken the internet with all my complaining. But that was mostly because there was no comparable course.

Try not getting your top 3!haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

biohaiid wrote: »
    Try not getting your top 3!haha.

I know someone who got their 10th choice. :p

Avox wrote: »
    I know someone who got their 10th choice. :p

Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Ok I know this has been asked but I just want to confirm it :D If i got a letter from HEAR in June/July saying I'm eligible once I meet the minimum entry requirements and got my first choice (which accepts HEAR), but I didn't need the reduced points from HEAR am I still a HEAR student? I know you don't need to have gotten reduced points and that you can still get a place but it doesn't say it anywhere on the CAO that i got HEAR and I also got a letter from the CAO and nothing from HEAR. Should I wait a few days?

chomps_x wrote: »
    Ok I know this has been asked but I just want to confirm it :D If i got a letter from HEAR in June/July saying I'm eligible once I meet the minimum entry requirements and got my first choice (which accepts HEAR), but I didn't need the reduced points from HEAR am I still a HEAR student? I know you don't need to have gotten reduced points and that you can still get a place but it doesn't say it anywhere on the CAO that i got HEAR and I also got a letter from the CAO and nothing from HEAR. Should I wait a few days?

You got HEAR. I got in on HEAR without reduced points but haven't heard anything either. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

chomps_x wrote: »

Yes, you are still eligible for HEAR.. the reduced points was just a benefit for it, but you still get all the other benefits

You will get a letter in the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

WOOHOO thanks guys :D Okaaay need to pack! Omg haha I'll be bringing 2 suitcases with me lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

will all HEAR students get to go to the orientation in DCU? Someone rang my daughter today and sounded as if she may not attend, but she wants to go to get to know some people before moving to Dublin. Is there space for everyone or will they select who they want? To be honest it's the main part of HEAR that she was excited about as she got into the course on her own points.. Anyone ?

Advertisement