Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So guys, has anyone else heard about what kind of financial support you actually get with HEAR?

Looked through their website top to bottom, no info at all :confused:

And is it true that the HEAR people cover the costs of your books in college? :o

The amount you get varies from year to year, and possibly even by college, but I'm not sure on that point. In UCD last year the grant was sizable.

On the books, again this is only based on my UCD experience, you'll get book vouchers, they won't cover all book costs if you buy every book each lecturer recommends (which you shouldn't do), but it's enough for one or two books, the rest, especially in first year you can get in the library.

Nitsuj wrote: »
    I got a letter a couple of weeks ago stating I'm eligible. Now what? Just wait for the results?

Also, how do I find out if my course is accepting HEAR? I know the university (NUIG) is apparently accepting HEAR. Does that mean ALL courses in NUIG accept HEAR?

Yep just wait, from what I remember there was some sort of indication on the offers letter that you got in through HEAR.

Yes if your college accepts HEAR applicants, all courses should be covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Jaafa wrote: »
    The amount you get varies from year to year, and possibly even by college, but I'm not sure on that point. In UCD last year the grant was sizable.

On the books, again this is only based on my UCD experience, you'll get book vouchers, they won't cover all book costs if you buy every book each lecturer recommends (which you shouldn't do), but it's enough for one or two books, the rest, especially in first year you can get in the library.

Thanks for the reply bud, much appreciated.

Could I maybe get a rough figure of the size of the grant, unless you dont want to disclose it in public? :)

Im going for med so gonna have to buy many a book unfortunately :( is there any other bursaries or access programmes in UCD that could maybe provide financial support for student like me 'cause my whole maintenance grant will go towards covering accommodation costs :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Could I maybe get a rough figure of the size of the grant, unless you dont want to disclose it in public? :)

Im going for med so gonna have to buy many a book unfortunately :( is there any other bursaries or access programmes in UCD that could maybe provide financial support for student like me 'cause my whole maintenance grant will go towards covering accommodation costs :confused:

UCD does offer some other financial assistance, you can ask your student advisor about it. But don't go out & buy all books, there are some you wont even use even if recommended. Also there is a second hand book store in UCD, or some people might be selling some online so keep an eye out for that too.

I'll pm you the exact amount. I know many people in med (I'm doing biomed) and trust me max you'll have to buy is maybe 3 if even. In terms of extra financial assistance yes there is some, not much from what I understand but it'll all be explained to you in good time, once your in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

Jaafa wrote: »
    I'll pm you the exact amount. I know many people in med (I'm doing biomed) and trust me max you'll have to buy is maybe 3 if even. In terms of extra financial assistance yes there is some, not much from what I understand but it'll all be explained to you in good time, once your in.

thanks for the reply, the book situation sounds pretty comforting :D

Im after emailing the ucd hear rep about further financial assistance for students like myself and she gave me names of a couple of programmes within the university and said that i'll be introduced to them in full during the orientation week.

If anyone wants those programmes from her email, drop me a PM :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Just wondering does anyone know, I got told by HEAR that I was eligible for it at the end of June there and I got my offer from NUIG at the start of July there as I was a deferred applicant. I am well above the points needed for the course so I am wondering am I still eligible for HEAR or not? When i got my offer from CAO there was no mention of HEAR at all?:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Just wondering does anyone know, I got told by HEAR that I was eligible for it at the end of June there and I got my offer from NUIG at the start of July there as I was a deferred applicant. I am well above the points needed for the course so I am wondering am I still eligible for HEAR or not? When i got my offer from CAO there was no mention of HEAR at all?:/

Did you get a second letter from HEAR? I got mine on the 2nd of July and I reckon you should ring up if you only got one letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Did you get a second letter from HEAR? I got mine on the 2nd of July and I reckon you should ring up if you only got one letter.

You only ever get one letter from HEAR (well, two including the application one, then the one to confirm eligibility). After that it's up to your university to send you out an information pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Avox wrote: »
    You only ever get one letter from HEAR (well, two including the application one, then the one to confirm eligibility). After that it's up to your university to send you out an information pack.

Oh okay, well I think I will wait anyway until next week when everyone's results are out. Im hoping they will send me something then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Katie948

Hey:) just wondering, many people planning on going 2 Mary I with the Hear Scheme?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ter91

I think because you are a deferred applicant you get your offer earlier. If you get high points it doesn't matter, it is the highest points that qualify for it (as far as I'm aware). You should get something out in the post after the CAO offers come out on the 20th. Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Katie948 wrote: »
    Hey:) just wondering, many people planning on going 2 Mary I with the Hear Scheme?:D

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

So.. what are the chances of those reduced points somehow reducing by 100?

:o:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Willbbz wrote: »
    So.. what are the chances of those reduced points somehow reducing by 100?

:o:p

It is possible but highly unlikely. Saying that I have a friend who got in on the HEAR Scheme for a 445 point course for 375, but this wasnt the most popular course and he was the only HEAR person to apply for it so he would have gotten in as long as he got the 300 point minimum for the HEAR Scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

There is a 300 point minimum for HEAR? I never knew that.. :O
    Really hoping for at least 40 off, but I'm not too disappointed if I don't get it.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Is there any way to check how many hear applicants are there for your course ?

Really hoping for at least 40 off, but I'm not too disappointed if I don't get it.. :)

I never knew that either :O

I hope you get your course :P

I probably won't need the HEAR points thing. I've gotten 40 pts above last years points for my course so....

Yes there is, unless things have changed since last year.
    angela1711 wrote: »
    Is there any way to check how many hear applicants are there for your course ?

Not that I know of, but the larger the course intake the more hear student will apply. If its a course that only takes in 15 people then there may be no one else.
    TheComeUp wrote: »
    I never knew that either :O

I hope you get your course :P

I probably won't need the HEAR points thing. I've gotten 40 pts above last years points for my course so....

You will still be accepted through the HEAR scheme though. You will get the extra financial support and just lots of support when you need help with anything while at College.

DylanII wrote: »
    You will still be accepted through the HEAR scheme though. You will get the extra financial support and just lots of support when you need help with anything while at College.

Yep I know that :D It's just a relief that I won't be relying on HEAR to get me my course you know? :P

• Advertisement

Well, I got over 300 so it's okay.. Wasn't told about it though :)
    All my courses I'm atleast 20-50 points off... I'd be happy with any of them tbh, so it doesn't affect me greatly :)
    Unlesssss :O having good luck is just against me and I gets nowhere :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yep I know that :D It's just a relief that I won't be relying on HEAR to get me my course you know? :P

..and even better, someone else will get a chance to get in through HEAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

So if I got 20 points below my course is there a high chance to get it through the reduced points ?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

I got more than enough points for any course that I put down, so I won't be needing the point reduction. Is there really any other benefits to HEAR?

spurious wrote: »

Actually I was gonna ask that. So if I get the points for my course without HEAR lets say, someone else will be able to "take my HEAR space" if you could say?? That's brilliant if so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nitsuj wrote: »
    I got more than enough points for any course that I put down, so I won't be needing the point reduction. Is there really any other benefits to HEAR?

Financial help in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleahy18

i got 315 points i have 3 courses on my CAO and i`d take any of them one is 385 and the other two are 375 points and 390 any chance i might still get one of the courses the 390 is very popular with a lot of positions for students, the 375 also has a lot of positions and the 385 has only around 50 intake of students every year, im also re checking 2 scripts but is there any chance with just 315 points????

any reply would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

Well, I got over 300 so it's okay.. Wasn't told about it though :)
    All my courses I'm atleast 20-50 points off... I'd be happy with any of them tbh, so it doesn't affect me greatly :)
    Unlesssss :O having good luck is just against me and I gets nowhere :L
    angela1711 wrote: »
    So if I got 20 points below my course is there a high chance to get it through the reduced points ?

There is a high chance that you will both be accepted. Not guaranteed though.
    Actually I was gonna ask that. So if I get the points for my course without HEAR lets say, someone else will be able to "take my HEAR space" if you could say?? That's brilliant if so.
    spurious wrote: »

No, weather you get the required points or not you will be taking a HEAR place. Reduced points in only part of the HEAR Scheme.

I'm eligible for DIT's access scheme aswell, reduced points on DIT courses... Feeling hopeful now! :)

• Advertisement

Sleahy18 wrote: »
    i got 315 points i have 3 courses on my CAO and i`d take any of them one is 385 and the other two are 375 points and 390 any chance i might still get one of the courses the 390 is very popular with a lot of positions for students, the 375 also has a lot of positions and the 385 has only around 50 intake of students every year, im also re checking 2 scripts but is there any chance with just 315 points????

any reply would be greatly appreciated

Thanks.

It is possible yes. But don't bank on it. There are people who get a huge amount of points off and some who only get a small amount.

Dont give up on hope, but do look into alternatives just incase.

Good luck :)

Advertisement