Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

They have the look of this mornings ECM 00z run which was very poor for longer term cold prospects, I have a feeling MT could well be right about waiting to early February for anything very cold and snowy.

I agree to a certain extent, but whom is to say what is the gold standard in cold weather, alot here would be happy with a few snowy days while some hardcore want 5 weeks with sub zero temp with records broken. Time to get one owns expectations in check before one gets let down!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Happy with ECm at 120

ECM0-120_fsc8.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Happy with ECm at 120

ECM0-120_fsc8.GIF
    Yeah another slight upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

ECM....it keeps getting more interesting...:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

GEM goes for something similar, perhaps a little colder, while the JMA looks similar, albeit weaker.

235469.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

My oh my that ECM is turning into something special.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

pad199207 wrote: »
    My oh my that ECM is turning into something special.....

Talk about a turn around from the ECM 12Z:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

GEM goes for something similar, perhaps a little colder, while the JMA looks similar, albeit weaker.

235469.png
    This is what we want to see but I'll hold my breath as we've been here before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

at +96 were looking on track

235521.png

235520.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

at +96 were looking on track

235521.png

235520.png

Looking good for Ulster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Weathering wrote: »
    Looking good for Ulster

Not really, -6 850's @1015 slp isn't going to give you snow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

ECM 0Z just what we wanted a continuation of the trend. I think we will take -8 uppers over most at 96hrs.

235551.png

Posted this in the other thread but should go here

Good agreement on the 06z GFS out to 5 days and ensembles looking ok after that, certainly don't really follow the OP

graphe_ens3.php?x=98&ext=1&y=12&run=0&runpara=0

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Massive changes on the GFS continues to bring cold very close to our eastern shores around 96 hours but the easterley is now replaced by a southerly wind further out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

That low is driving everything 06z gives some poke which kicks cold back East, next run could see it slacken or spin off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Posted this in the other thread but should go here

Good agreement on the 06z GFS out to 5 days and ensembles looking ok after that, certainly don't really follow the OP

graphe_ens3.php?x=98&ext=1&y=12&run=0&runpara=0

Thats the 00z

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Thats the 00z

Sorry, typo, I meant 00z :o

More coffee....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Update from NOAA

SATURDAY NIGHT...LATEST MODELS DEPICT A WAVE LIFTING NORTHEAST
    THROUGH THE BAROCLINIC AXIS WELL TO THE SOUTHEAST WHICH WOULD
    SPREADING LIGHT PRECIPITATION INTO IL...AND POSSIBLY INTO SE IA. THE
    GFS IS AN OUTLIER WITH A MUCH STRONGER AND MORE NW TRACKING SYSTEM...
    WHICH RESULTS IN OUR FORECAST KEEPING CHANCE POPS FOR LIGHT SNOW
    ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST.

That nw tracking system is the one that heads towards western Greenland and phases with troughing in the west Atlantic.

SUNDAY INTO TUESDAY...COLD HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS OVER THE REGION
    WHILE THE UPPER LEVEL TROUGH TRANSITIONS EAST OVER THE AREA. THIS
    WILL RETURN TEMPERATURES BACK TO NEAR OR BELOW NORMAL. MODELS
    DIVERGE EARLY IN THE WEEK...WITH THE GFS DEPICTING A LONGWAVE UPPER
    TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL U.S. AND ANOTHER SYSTEM BRUSHING PAST TO THE
    SOUTHEAST BY MONDAY NIGHT...WHILE THE ECMWF IS LESS PHASED WITH MORE
    OF A SPLIT FLOW PATTERN...KEEPING SYSTEMS WELL TO THE SOUTHEAST.

I should also add though that NOAA didn't think much of last nights ECM operational run in terms of what it did with the PV in the USA.

LATE DAY 6 TUE THRU DAY 7 WED FOLLOW A 70/30 WEIGHTING OF THE 12Z
    ECMWF/18Z GEFS MEANS GIVEN ROBUST ENSEMBLE MEAN AGREEMENT AND
    VERIFICATION CONSIDERATIONS IN FAVOR OF THE 12Z ECMWF MEAN. THE
    12Z ECMWF BRINGS ITS NRN CANADA VORTEX WELL SWD OF CONSENSUS BY
    WED.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

I don't think ME have ever used the words wintry and snow so much in a forecast, certainly not this far out!
    During Saturday night, most parts of the country will be dry with clear spells, although showers may appear again near eastern coasts and also in the northwest and west. Winds will become light, northerly with severe frost and ice occurring widely. Sunday will start mainly dry and bright with frost and ice clearing slowly but temperatures will struggle to rise significantly. Winds will back northwesterly, light to moderate during the day. During the evening, outbreaks of rain will turn persistent in the northwest and west, then becoming more widespread across the country as the night goes on. As the rain comes further east, it will be likely to turn to sleet and snow, especially on higher ground. Widespread rain and sleet is likely for much of Monday, with snow possible down to low levels and perhaps accumulating in places. This will clear overnight into Tuesday; severe frost will result and ice or lying snow will persist. Tuesday and Wednesday will both be very cold with ongoing severe night frosts persisting into daylight hours. Most of the country will be dry but easterly breezes are likely to bring wintry showers to eastern counties later with further snowfall possible there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

omicron wrote: »
    I don't think ME have ever used the words wintry and snow so much in a forecast, certainly not this far out!

Just goes to show how juicy some of the ECM output has been. We'll find out in about an hour or so if that will still be a wintry outlook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm not too swept away by the 12z output, inconclusive would be the best word to describe it ... and we're seeing some indications of the same model role reversal that came before the December downgrades. Not saying no cold or snow either, just perhaps more of a frontal boundary situation with the north likely to do better of course. Won't really expect to see any clear indications beyond weekend until perhaps as late as Friday's model runs, suspect there could be a downgrade again at 00z but that's just a hunch based on trends in each model.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it seems like the gfs has been the trendsetter this winter. it was they who said no first to the easterly back in mid December. i fear if there isn't a backtrack by the gfs this evening, then we're going to see the ecm once again changed its output to something similar to the GFS. Over on netweather they are banking the current ecm run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I'm not too swept away by the 12z output, inconclusive would be the best word to describe it ... and we're seeing some indications of the same model role reversal that came before the December downgrades. Not saying no cold or snow either, just perhaps more of a frontal boundary situation with the north likely to do better of course. Won't really expect to see any clear indications beyond weekend until perhaps as late as Friday's model runs, suspect there could be a downgrade again at 00z but that's just a hunch based on trends in each model.
    Hi MT so would you say this is a false run and just a build up to february

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

it seems like the gfs has been the trendsetter this winter. it was they who said no first to the easterly back in mid December. i fear if there isn't a backtrack by the gfs this evening, then we're going to see the ecm once again changed its output to something similar to the GFS. Over on netweather they are banking the current ecm run.
    I think you're Giving the gfs a bit too much credit. The difference is their 4 runz a day is often shocking. Often the route to no snow is the middle ground between the 2 extremes. If you look at the models just to see will it snow or not it might mislead us into thinking who is best. Apparently ukmo leads the 4/5 day verication stats ahead of ECM. GFS Lags in 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I think you're Giving the gfs a bit too much credit. The difference is their 4 runz a day is often shocking. Often the route to no snow is the middle ground between the 2 extremes. If you look at the models just to see will it snow or not it might mislead us into thinking who is best. Apparently ukmo leads the 4/5 day verication stats ahead of ECM. GFS Lags in 3rd.

Superbly put

THE GEFS ensembles have backtracked towards greenland blocking... will it ever end?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i certainly hope i'm giving it too much credit, but it was the gfs led the way back in mid december when it picked up the signal for a zonal pattern instead of a raging easterly depicted by the ecm. the ecm initially refused to back the GFS before falling into line. I think M.T. Cranium in his post is alluding to the possibility we might see the same thing occurring again. I'm looking at the models to see if cold will be sustained, as that increases our chances of getting decent snowfall to all levels, based on the gfs that's not going to occur.

If the ECM backs down from this , it will have been an epic fail ,

Massive pressure build over greenland in the ens

235627.png

If the ECM backs down from this , it will have been an epic fail ,

Massive pressure build over greenland in the ens

235627.png

Thats at 240 though? SUbject to the usual FI caveats?

EDIT: My bad, similar anon present throughout the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

It's 10 days out. Not sure why the models bother going that far.

I still think 96+ is the forum feeder output. Give people something to chat about.

No more than 3 days ago we were in for Atlantic muck reaching into Poland and Germany. Now look where we are in FI :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement