Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

What are the latest charts saying for Monday in regard to temp/snowfall in the east ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

What are the latest charts saying for Monday in regard to temp/snowfall in the east ?

from my little knowledge and understanding id say thats it for a few weeks at least :(

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Depends where in the east, I do not think it will be allot and I would be happy with 1cm at this stage.

Maybe things will get better when another ramp happens with the 0z chats??

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Monday was always a south set up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Some snow (maybe light amounts) possible pushing in over the northeast from Irish Sea on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Did anyone see the programme on BBC earlier about the big freeze in 1963? , was very interesting with their old charts and set-ups

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

GFS is showing some potential for sleet/snow on Tuesday night much further up the country (although a slight increase in temperatures by as the night goes on to just above freezing):

(http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=54&mode=0)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hirlam model has front stalling Sunday over southern counties before dying out, select t Nedbor http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

UKMO after heavily modifying there Fax output at 120

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=156035

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=156036

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ECM follows the breakdown at 144

237219.gif

-6 uppers up until 120 when possible sleet and snow moves across the country followed by rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don't think this breakdown is absolutely certain for next weekend. The models suggest that this will happen but ME are saying still the possibility of snow and UKMO saying some areas remaining cold. so nothing is set in stone yet. IMO this is a case of human input into forecasts are not complete dependence on the models as professional forecasters know that a cold block can be difficult to shift and the models are always keen to have the Atlantic barging in. A post on NW this morning shows ECM and GFS charts from last weekend for today - both show mild SW'ly airflow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Is there any way of getting the charts on meteociel to work like an animation?
    Or any other charts on other sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

Bejubby wrote: »

Click on Anim and that should work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Bejubby wrote: »

Under "Précharger" click < Anim > and it'll run though the ones on that page

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I don't think this breakdown is absolutely certain for next weekend. The models suggest that this will happen but ME are saying still the possibility of snow and UKMO saying some areas remaining cold. so nothing is set in stone yet. IMO this is a case of human input into forecasts are not complete dependence on the models as professional forecasters know that a cold block can be difficult to shift and the models are always keen to have the Atlantic barging in. A post on NW this morning shows ECM and GFS charts from last weekend for today - both show mild SW'ly airflow.

Would having snowcover in place delay the breakdown at all?? As a cold ground should have some feedback into the atmosphere?

fax120s.gif?19-12

that high pressure to the ne (quite weak unfortunately) will give very low temperatures in the UK and the continent, hopefully it will very difficult for the Atlantic to shift this cold pool. What I think will happen is the milder air will get no further than eastern England and the cold will return west again. Even in the coldest winters there will always be milder Atlantic interludes as we are so far west. I'm optimistic that we'll see good blocking in Feb - time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Any thoughts on the 12z GFS?

Did I say that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

Pheonix from the Flames

Scandi High refuses to DIE

h500slpq.png

Pheonix from the Flames

Scandi High refuses to DIE

Yes, so I've noticed and the link up with the Arctic high looks promising.
    I'm convinced that we have to look east (and not Greenland) for a route to cold for the simple reason that we have already seen blocking to the NE this winter and that pattern should continue. We'll live in hope that this trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Yes, so I've noticed and the link up with the Arctic high looks promising.
    I'm convinced that we have to look east (and not Greenland) for a route to cold for the simple reason that we have already seen blocking to the NE this winter and that pattern should continue. We'll live in hope that this trend continues.

Historically I think Scandinavia Highs tend to be more common later in winter then Greenland Highs. Certainly if we're all to get a good taste of winter an easterly is the best solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Chucky Norris

the 12z gfs doesn't look good at all after friday even out in FI:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

the 18z gfs doesn't look good at all after friday even out in FI:(:(

Considering that FI is about +48 at the moment I wouldn't be too worried about what's on the charts for Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

the 15z gfs doesn't look good at all after friday even out in FI:(:(
    Its the 12z which comes out around 15.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Very well explained forecast from Tomasz Schafernaker today for the week ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

12Z ECM, GFS and UKMO in agreement for mildish southwesterlies at +120.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Still another few days of this grey, stagnant nothingness ahead before a brief return to mild SW'erlies, its been consistently pushed back all week though so hard to know what'll happen yet. ECMWF is hinting at some active weather next week but no doubt it'll be watered down again to more of the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Glacier Point on netweather has posted an update on global synoptic trends and in a nutshell is suggesting a reload of the cold from the NE or E possibly as early as 28th Jan into early February (which ties in with MTs thinking).

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/58354-in-depth-model-discussion-analysis-and-summaries/page__st__2060

I think I got most of the explanation.....

....in the first paragraph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Cold from the east needs to roar across,all this stagnation leads to what we've had over the last week= mundane crap
    Give me a Northerly anyday over an Easterly
    I'd rather it raining than the crap I've had this past week. There hasn't even been a frost since last Wednesday
    It's pathetic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

18Z GFS still going for a mild Atlantic incursion next weekend.

• Advertisement

Whats this? it doesn't look like the Atlantic will smash through according to this chart?

fax120s.gif?20-12

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement