Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Rougies wrote: »
    Rain, sleet and wet snow. No thanks :p

apologies for the brief wander into FI....merely a way station on the road to whiteness....an awful lot of cold air around the place and coming from both directions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Graupel

ECM is fantastic at +216 incase nobody had noticed, Definite trend developing for the 5th-8th Feb. This is exactly what we want to see happening.

293a5pt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

See attached link which is Matt Hugo's views on what will occur in February 2013.

http://matthugo.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/february-2013-whats-in-store/

Not very exciting from a snow lover's point of view - he is going for north westerly winds to be dominant during February with the jet stream to flow north of Scotland , yes north of Scotland !!

This is at odds with MT who is of the view that the jet stream will sink south. What to believe? :rolleyes:

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

derekon wrote: »
    See attached link which is Matt Hugo's views on what will occur in February 2013.

Not very exciting from a snow lover's point of view - he is going for north westerly winds to be dominant during February with the jet stream to flow north of Scotland , yes north of Scotland !!

This is at odds with MT who is of the view that the jet stream will sink south. What to believe? :rolleyes:

D

I hope MT is right but I think he will be wrong. Just a hunch though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Ah I wouldn't worry about Matt Hugo and the Ec 32,he and they are wrong as often as they are right in the last year.
    Past 5 days,he's no better or worse than any of us really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Azores High looks like taking control to me, it'll push that nasty blue stuff east.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

mike65 wrote: »
    Azores High looks like taking control to me, it'll push that nasty blue stuff east.
    And push the white stuff west

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

whitebriar wrote: »
    Ah I wouldn't worry about Matt Hugo and the Ec 32,he and they are wrong as often as they are right in the last year.
    Past 5 days,he's no better or worse than any of us really.
    Simon Keeling (weatherweb.tv) seems to favour a cooler outlook on his update today, all to play for no doubt.

derekon wrote: »

D

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gens/run/gens-0-3-150.png?12

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wintry forecast from ME this morning for Friday:

...outbreaks of rain will develop in many parts of Munster and south Leinster by Friday morning, perhaps preceded by sleet on high ground. During Friday, the rain will extend to the rest of Leinster and to much of Connaught also, although Ulster will stay mainly dry. Rainfall accumulations in southern, and perhaps also eastern, counties may result in flooding. The rain will clear away early on Friday night as strong, northerly winds set in. However, rain may turn to extensive sleet and snow for a time in the east and south, leading to deposits of snow on high ground and perhaps at lower levels also.

Based on yesterday evenings ECM (obviously).

Not sure if latest ECM run (or GFS for that matter) would support this forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Good to hear the word snow and sleet in their forecast , this winter is not done yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

An extraordinarily bullish forecast for likely severe cold from MT this morning. He has really stuck his neck out and called something that I'm not seeing being called elsewhere. Very interesting. The GEM would be the only model screaming cold snap as far as I can see.

Will we see the cold???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

dopolahpec wrote: »
    An extraordinarily bullish forecast for likely severe cold from MT this morning. He has really stuck his neck out and called something that I'm not seeing being called elsewhere. Very interesting. The GEM would be the only model screaming cold snap as far as I can see.

Will we see the cold???
    Yes just seen MT's forecast and he's been saying it for a while so I wouldn't doubt him.

200motels wrote: »
    Yes just seen MT's forecast and he's been saying it for a while so I wouldn't doubt him.

I know he has been saying it for a while. I don't doubt it is a genuine forecast. But it is just that, a forecast. So while I don't doubt that it is a forecast, MT's forecast, surely I am allowed to discuss it's likelihood. Or do you believe that the forecast itself shouldn't be doubted, that it will be just as things transpire?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

UK Met not even remotely on the same page as MT as regards UK forecast up to 8th Feb, theyre still calling mild and damp with frosty interludes. Its an interesting divergence because they flagged the recent UK cold spell with good advance notice, but who knows, they could change at any time.

A 70% probability for severe wintry weather for an extended period is a huge call from MT, but as has been mentioned, he's been flagging it for months.

I am particularly looking forward to this weekends Farming Forecast and Countryfile weather slot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I know he has been saying it for a while. I don't doubt it is a genuine forecast. But it is just that, a forecast. So while I don't doubt that it is a forecast, MT's forecast, surely I am allowed to discuss it's likelihood. Or do you believe that the forecast itself shouldn't be doubted, that it will be just as things transpire?

I think it's more a case of folks hope-casting that the tentative forecast MT has given will come to fruition, his forecasts for this year have been relatively accurate given the fact that none of the models agreed on anything and an accurate forecast couldn't be given past 24 hours.

Deank wrote: »
    I think it's more a case of folks hope-casting that the tentative forecast MT has given will come to fruition, his forecasts for this year have been relatively accurate given the fact that none of the models agreed on anything and an accurate forecast couldn't be given past 24 hours.

Yes, I believe his forecast has been the best LRF I have seen this winter. But blind faith in it will lead to disappointment for some, and unwarranted criticism for MT if it doesn't transpire. I think he is on to something btw. Major pattern change in the models for sure. Wouldn't take much for a sudden downwell of bitter cold from the north/north east.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Yeeehawwwww

gfs-1-384_jer9.png

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Yeeehawwwww

gfs-1-384_jer9.png

Long way out but that would put us nicely in the freezer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think MT may be a bit premature, thinking more 12/15th onwards per GFS 6z

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I think MT may be a bit premature, thinking more 12/15th onwards per GFS 6z

All we need now is for it to move to T0 with no problems :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

t|nt|n wrote: »
    All we need now is for it to move to T0 with no problems :D
    Yeah only 66 more GFS runs to go,almost there :D

delw wrote: »
    Yeah only 66 more GFS runs to go,almost there :D

The countdown is on so...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

Bring it on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Long way out but that would put us nicely in the freezer :D

Really need to see -12c uppers over us for entering the freezer!

-4c to -8c uppers, in reality, is wishy washy. :)

Bring it on

It's going to be a bit like this.

2013-01-20+17_35_16.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I think you got the wrong end of the stick, I know it's a forecast but MT is right more than he's wrong, and of course your allowed to discuss a different scenario that's what's makes the weather boards such interesting reading, all the different views on various models is fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As the last cold outbreak showed, and will again next week, even the margins have margins. My feeling is a cold reload will leave us on the edge again, probably just mountain snows, the jetstream would want to take a serious dive for serious cold origin air to establish - out to 10 days from now at least

DEFCON F.I. is firmly back at +120hrs

• Advertisement

Have to say Dean..70% certainty is a bit more than tentative. His restraint and the use of tentative referred to the first three days of February and the possibility that his projected cold spell will come at us faster than he expected.....and given ME's forecast for snow potential down to low levels towards the end of the week, I'd say it's all moving along very nicely

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement