Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

patneve2 wrote: »
    Very nice 500 hPa temps for early next week, even more important than 850 hPa temps for snow in my opinion. Definitely some decent accumulations in NW and W if this chart came to be.

I don't see 500hPa charts used much, what would be a general guide for snow at low levels would you reckon? (Say equivalent to -8 at 850?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

omicron wrote: »

I don't see 500hPa charts used much, what would be a general guide for snow at low levels would you reckon? (Say equivalent to -8 at 850?)
    colder than -35,preferably around -40 and sub 524 dam air.
    The chart linked has that as the air is a fast delivery artic blast,either coming via the North/northeast with a touch of scandi dp's about it with no mid atlantic mixing,just a minimum cold track Iceland to Mallin track,the high to the west blocking much of the mid atlantic mixing with it.

-40c 500hpa air temp on a track like that would be a polar low breeding ground and certainly a recipe for heavy snow shower development,with especially the north and sometimes the west in the firing line.
    Less so East Leinster/Dublin/the south east who for a change would be mostly looking on in envy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ECM at +144. is that a northeasterly I'm seeing here or am I ramping?
    edit: gone at +168 but that's FI anyway

ECM1-144.GIF?31-0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snow events quite likely now Mon - Wed next week
    Nice little surprise, sprung up out of no where

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Still do not see anything exciting on the cards. Short/mid term potential indeed for the North and NW mostly.

After that? Mid Atlantic ridge will either collapse over us ala the latter stages of the ECM tonight, and GFS I think, or it might link up with the Russian high to form a Scandi block at first, maybe ridging west towards Iceland at time. (Based on GEFS charts, pinch of salt required.) Or will it go to greenland, who knows!

And an important note, tomorrow is the first day of February, in a week, it'll be the 7th. The extent of cold needed for a decent cold spell is increasing each day. The sun will melt any accumulations on paved surfaces unless there is severe cold over the country, which I don't see yet. I'd say at a guess that a 2 week decent cold spell at this time of year uppers of at least -12 or lower would be needed?? Snow will fall at higher 850's but think back to Feb 2009. I went from 4-6 inches of powder snow on pavements to 0 in the spaces of 3 hours when the sun made a few appearances in between showers. Not much melt on grass, but it was a horrible slushy mess in general.

If we are too see a severe cold spell, it'll be from the North mostly I say, there's just not enough cold pooling to our east in the case of an easterly, a north easterly would be better, but a direct northerly would get the coldest air to us quicker.

A chilly time ahead...cold at times...the cold that most of us want? Maybe for those in the north :p Anyway here's to a clearer picture over the weekend of what the mid Atlantic ridge decided to do next week.

North/west is the place to be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Reasonable looking ECM EPS,

20% chance of decent cold spell now.

40% chance of a real cool down but nothing too severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A reasonable ECM mean at T192hrs

Still a bit too move but this suggests a reasonable NEasterly is a possible outcome

Reem1921.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

John.Icy wrote: »

And an important note, tomorrow is the first day of February, in a week, it'll be the 7th. The extent of cold needed for a decent cold spell is increasing each day. The sun will melt any accumulations on paved surfaces unless there is severe cold over the country, which I don't see yet. I'd say at a guess that a 2 week decent cold spell at this time of year uppers of at least -12 or lower would be needed?? Snow will fall at higher 850's but think back to Feb 2009. I went from 4-6 inches of powder snow on pavements to 0 in the spaces of 3 hours when the sun made a few appearances in between showers. Not much melt on grass, but it was a horrible slushy mess in general.

!

I think you're being a bit pessimistic with regard to the potential of a cold spell to deliver for snow lovers later in the winter. The effect of the sun on snow melt is a lot less than you would imagine, as the snow reflects most of the sun's radiation. What happened in 2009 was the result of the temps being too high. They were lowered during the heavy showers and then climbed back up above freezing after the showers thus melting the snow. Would have happened anyway, sunshine or not.

Why do you think we would need 2 weeks of cold? Yeah it's true that it seems that way, but that's because it tends to take a while to get the cold to our island. Once the air is cold enough for snow, it's cold enough for snow, simple as that. It can get cold very quickly sometimes in the right setup.

And -12 uppers? Why? -8 to -10 uppers would be fine most of the time. The laws of thermodynamics don't care if it's nearly St. Valentine's day :P

Although in saying that 2 weeks of cold and -12 uppers would be great ;)

Rougies wrote: »

I think you're being a bit pessimistic with regard to the potential of a cold spell to deliver for snow lovers later in the winter. The effect of the sun on snow melt is a lot less than you would imagine, as the snow reflects most of the sun's radiation. What happened in 2009 was the result of the temps being too high. They were lowered during the heavy showers and then climbed back up above freezing after the showers thus melting the snow. Would have happened anyway, sunshine or not.

Why do you think we would need 2 weeks of cold? Yeah it's true that it seems that way, but that's because it tends to take a while to get the cold to our island. Once the air is cold enough for snow, it's cold enough for snow, simple as that. It can get cold very quickly sometimes in the right setup.

And -12 uppers? Why? -8 to -10 uppers would be fine most of the time. The laws of thermodynamics don't care if it's nearly St. Valentine's day :P

17th february 1991-gave 8 inches of snow in Arklow in a whiteout streamer off the Irish sea from the northeast,after a week of ice days at either side,as good a fall as most got in the final days of november 2010.

I do think,once you get past mid march though,mother nature is better to send warm weather to us,than cold as its much easier for warmth then than cold and nice too.

Rougies wrote: »

Sure temps rose above zero at times in Feb 2009, but the increasing strength in the sun definitely played a role for my location anyway in terms of how rapid such a large fall melted. In the early days of Dec 2010 I had two days of above 0 temps with little to no snow melt in total cloud cover, drippings here and there, but not total wipeout.

And the -12 850's was in reference to MT's earlier thoughts that a big cold snap could last for quite some time, even into March IIRC correctly?? Maybe he's changed tune from that, but a few are pinning hopes on the appearance of a mid Atlantic ridge next week as a sign that a big cold spell is coming, when I just don't see the cold that would lead to that, unless we get a beastly Northerly blast and proper blocking, not a mid Atlantic ridge that could topple so easily.

And the colder the uppers the better anyway, as seen this month, -9 uppers didn't exactly riffle up anything notewhile did it? Although that Coldspell was quite stagnant to what we know the Irish sea can do.

• Advertisement

To be fair John,the feb 2009 cold spell wasn't as deep or sustained in terms of its source as 2010.
    That said,you are right,longer daylight/sun hours is a melting lying snow factor but not a big issue untill March or so if you have snow producing weather ongoing during your spell.

whitebriar wrote: »
    To be fair John,the feb 2009 cold spell wasn't as deep or sustained in terms of its source as 2010.
    That said,you are right,longer daylight/sun hours is a melting lying snow factor but not a big issue untill March or so if you have snow producing weather ongoing during your spell.

True about 09/10, silly enough example.

That is true if there is plenty of snow about, but I'd still say if you had a snowfall say on a Monday for several hours, by that Wednesday/Thursday if you had nothing but sun and the odd flurry since the Monday, you'd want a very cold airmass to still have much on the ground if it was midway through February?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Alot of snow melting talk going on in here. I don't think the sun is a big issue in early to mid Feb. It's the source of air you have to worry about.

For me the issue is on shore breezes. They can quickly raise the temps. Melt all of the good stuff.

Haven't had a chance to look at any charts, but me thinks time is our enemy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

That is true if there is plenty of snow about, but I'd still say if you had a snowfall say on a Monday for several hours, by that Wednesday/Thursday if you had nothing but sun and the odd flurry since the Monday, you'd want a very cold airmass to still have much on the ground if it was midway through February?

Im no expert but i'd say if the temperatures hoovered around 1c/2c during the day there wouldnt be much of a melt during the day (like it was here last week and that wasnt an extreme cold source).

Sure temps rose above zero at times in Feb 2009, but the increasing strength in the sun definitely played a role for my location anyway in terms of how rapid such a large fall melted. In the early days of Dec 2010 I had two days of above 0 temps with little to no snow melt in total cloud cover, drippings here and there, but not total wipeout.

Yeah it was the same here in 2009 and 2010 regarding the sun's role in facilitating melting. I'm not saying it doesn't play a role, but I just thought you overestimated that role a bit ;) The wind is also a factor, the stronger the above 0C wind the faster snow will melt, and far as I can recall it was windier in Feb 2010 than it was in early Dec 2010.
    And the colder the uppers the better anyway, as seen this month, -9 uppers didn't exactly riffle up anything notewhile did it? Although that Coldspell was quite stagnant to what we know the Irish sea can do.

Absolutely the colder uppers the better. The Irish Sea didn't get a chance to shine in the last cold(ish) spell as most of the precip was frontal related. We never really got a decent E/NE flow in place, it was always a bit all over the place hmmming and hawwwing, N/S/E/W, troughs and lows all over the place. It was a big mess. Wicklow mountains loved it though :D

Yeah, but that would be the same for anywhere in the world. I'm, pretty sure there are places in Antartica with 24hrs sunshine with no snow melting going on. And in the eternal darkness of the Arctic, if the temp rises above 0c, snow's gonna melt!

Sun is a factor, but it's a pretty small factor in the grand scheme of things. (EDIT: of course the sun is THE factor regarding everything weather related and life as we know it ;))

But then again, we live in Ireland, snow marginality capital of the world. The heat from friction from a worm wriggling too excitedly 2 ft under the ground in Leitrim could scupper the chances of snow for the whole country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Looks like Met É are fully on board for significant wintriness from Monday night onwards. I presume thats the latest ECM in its entirety? Serious vascillations likely before we get to Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Some very interesting snow risk charts from Monday into Tuesday......particularly for Donegal, SLigo Leitrim but a blast for the east in the initial push from the north....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

06z from GFS looks poor for delivering any cold to Ireland, bar the 2 day northwesterly, within next 10 days. However, looks more interesting in the low resolution latter stages. Though take them with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

MTC in his daily forecast says as follows of next Tuesday:-

"TUESDAY ... Very windy and cold with mixed wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow (accumulating to 3-7 cm on some northern hills) with west to northwest gale force winds 70-110 km/hr, risk of some severe gusts in the north, and temperatures steady in the 2-4 C range possibly dropping to 0-2 C where snow accumulates. The rain-snow line will rapidly fall to about 150m or lower and some of the passing squally showers could be thundery with large hail or snow. Blizzard-like conditions may develop in higher sections of the north. This is almost like the "Greenland Express" we saw in Dec 2010."

Its the last line that intrigues me. I've looked at the models and I can't really see what he means (and I do know its probably the pace of evolution that he's talking about). That said, I can't really read models (save for self evident things like upper temps, dew points etc - that actual z500 PRMSL view on Meteociel is double dutch to me I'm afraid).

Can anyone explain what MTC means?

Thanks in advance.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

MT is now saying to expect a modified cold spell with the possibility of something more severe. Basically was what we had recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Many posts deleted as they added no value to Model/Technical discussion thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looks absolutely bitter with the wind chill on Tuesday, strong NW'erlies piling in the showers in the north west. Probably mainly a high ground snow event but an interesting day nonetheless, should manage a few showers here hopefully. ECMWF still hinting at a more prolonged spell of below average temps as well

ECM1-96_vzd6.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Aaaaaand Monday....

uksnowrisk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

And an important note, tomorrow is the first day of February, in a week, it'll be the 7th. The extent of cold needed for a decent cold spell is increasing each day. The sun will melt any accumulations on paved surfaces unless there is severe cold over the country, which I don't see yet.

One comfort is that extent of cold often increases over the Northern Hemisphere in February which can sometimes peak as late as early March, this is because it can take a fair amount of time for such a vast area of the globe to cool down fully during the winter (lag effect).

At a local level, this graph shows the daily average temp at Birr for January & February (based on 71-00 30 year mean). Though this greatly masks day by day within month on month to year on year variation, it does show that cold spells in February tend to occur with an equal frequency - and possibly to a greater extent - than in January in Ireland. It also should be noted that RH & Td values tend to be lower in February also, which can actually make it feel even colder than January.

239211.PNG

Data from the ECA&D

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭compsys

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    One comfort is that extent of cold often increases over the Northern Hemisphere in February which can sometimes peak as late as early March, this is because it can take a fair amount of time for such a vast area of the globe to cool down fully during the winter (lag effect).

At a local level, this graph shows the daily average temp at Birr for January & February (based on 71-00 30 year mean). Though this greatly masks day by day within month on month to year on year variation, it does show that cold spells in February tend to occur with an equal frequency - and possibly to a greater extent - than in January in Ireland. It also should be noted that RH & Td values tend to be lower in February also, which can actually make it feel even colder than January.

239211.PNG

Data from the ECA&D

Yes, all well said.

I get so bloody tired of people on this board saying every winter that once February comes it's somehow getting too warm too snow.

I remember many years when the coldest part of the winter was early March! And as well all know by now, it's statistically more likely to snow at Easter than it is at Christmas.

Just as the first two weeks of August are often the warmest, the first two weeks of February and beyond will often be the coldest for Ireland and Europe. A 'lag effect' as you have called it.

In fact, from a meteorological point of view, for some people, winter runs from 21st December to 21st March. As a result, we're very much still in winter.

If there's no sign of cold weather, even in FI, come 1st March, it might be time to put away the snow ploughs. But to be talking about the end of winter on 1st February is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

This was posted over on net weather, I did post it on another thread but it was deleted, Its from a legit source

UKMO view remains consistent. They've just issued new 6-15d analysis based on 00z output.

Essentially cold / periodic snow / ultimate battleground set-up (latter developing Fri & with easterly push of uncertain scope continuing through to Monday). Into 10-15d period, Exeter continue story with MOGREPS-15 & DECIDER products showing strong NW/W influence with varying degrees of cyclonicity. Their conclusion is for the cold/wintry phase next week to be short-lived, through to about following Monday; the trend 10-15 d period then characterised by return to average or slightly below average temperatures. Thus, a consistent story from them over last 3 days in this regard, i.e. no real expectation of a *prolonged* cold spell of any note. Hope this helps.

This was posted over on net weather, I did post it on another thread but it was deleted, Its from a legit source

UKMO view remains consistent. They've just issued new 6-15d analysis based on 00z output.

Essentially cold / periodic snow / ultimate battleground set-up (latter developing Fri & with easterly push of uncertain scope continuing through to Monday). Into 10-15d period, Exeter continue story with MOGREPS-15 & DECIDER products showing strong NW/W influence with varying degrees of cyclonicity. Their conclusion is for the cold/wintry phase next week to be short-lived, through to about following Monday; the trend 10-15 d period then characterised by return to average or slightly below average temperatures. Thus, a consistent story from them over last 3 days in this regard, i.e. no real expectation of a *prolonged* cold spell of any note. Hope this helps.
    They could be right and probably will be but its a brave forecaster that sticks their neck out definitively.
    Mt's scenario is plausible but requires an unusual set of circumstances to happen and tbh one or two things to go wrong and it's a No go.

Our dominant climate is very easy to call,Unnusual set ups notoriously difficult.
    That's because,cold spells rely on something abnormal happening.Those abnormalities are subject to chaos theory and aren't made to order.
    Mt has rationalised a possible process after next weeks low sinks into Europe well,based on what should happen with that and kudos there.However,scepticism and caution to that prediction should apply.
    It's easy to call what happens to commoner garden atlantic lows in a normal Irish winter.
    It's relying on (from a cold lovers perspective) a lot of abnormal things to go right for you in mt's scenario versus the form horse doing what it usually does.

The form horse is and always has been the atlantic.
    Sans full blocking there,you are sans any freezing weather lasting.
    Lets see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Not the real Gerald Fleming

MetO have fairly consistent with their outlook. The safest bet is not go beyond 144hrs. Atlantic might win and then again it might not. The Jet stream won the last battle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

0z GFS seems to be moving towards the ECM output. It's all to play for now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement