Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭IrishGurll

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/347522/Winter-to-blast-in-early
    Where Do They Get This Information From :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

IrishGurll wrote: »

Reading that kind of tripe is unhealthy.

For your own sake, Stick to professional material.

That Jonathan Powell is a chancer who use to run Positive Weather Solutions.

Media sensationalism at its best. Stop reading dung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The problem with posting those links somewhere like here is that they will get an extra few hundred hits from them, therefore increasing their revenue. If you must post tripe then at least copy and paste it here and hit these "journalists" where it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

This is my preliminary forecast for the U.K. and I have no reason to suspect that the pattern would be radically different for Ireland so I have just changed some wording here to make this relevant to Ireland ...

Winter 2012-13 Forecast Summary

Based on my usual methodology and a consideration of the unusual ice-free anomaly expected to start the season, the following is my expected temperature and precipitation trend for DEC-JAN-FEB (following a November with expected mild temperatures 1-2 C deg above average, and near normal in precip ... October expected to be near normal for temperature and somewhat on the wet side of normal).

DECEMBER looks fairly close to normal (on the whole) with a roughly equal mixture of mild and cold days. There may be one relatively severe cold spell of 2-4 days around the middle of the month towards the 20th. This might not produce much snow as it could be a shallow incursion but some snow would be likely given the temperature anomalies indicating below zero temperatures briefly. Before that, the period 7th to 13th is expected to be quite mild (highs could reach 11-13 C), and the run up to Christmas increasingly mild with rain replacing any earlier sleet or snow in most areas but there would be a better chance for snow in north-central parts of Britain around Christmas. A stormy interval may develop just around or after Christmas Day. Numerical index values suggest a windy day on the 26th so there's one specific daily forecast to test out (I prefer to be more general but what the heck).

JANUARY looks relatively mild but with severe cold forming gradually off to the north and east of Ireland and the U.K., some intervals of modified cold could intrude, perhaps less forcefully in south and west regions of Ireland. The month may also become rather stormy at times especially in periods around the 10th and 25th. Some damaging winds would not surprise me given the developing thermal gradient across the Atlantic and a likely very strong zonal jet stream at times. A trend to much colder weather getting closer to Britain at least is likely near the end of the month although mild weather could hold on in Ireland and the southwest parts of England.

FEBRUARY is expected to be much colder than average by 1.5 to 3.5 degrees with considerable snow or sleet and frequent easterly winds. This will develop because of massive blocking to the north of Ireland and the U.K. extending from Iceland to Scandinavia. There is some indication of a very severe period of wintry weather. This severe cold may last some time beyond the end of the month.

I may update this seasonal forecast if I have any further results from ongoing research, but this is the output of the current research model with some consideration given to the ice anomaly. I suspect it will intensify the pattern that would have existed otherwise, so I have tended to amplify the numerical output on either side of normal. Once severe cold is established over snow cover it is hard to dislodge during the depth of winter, but would also warn that February is the least reliable of the three monthly forecasts not only because it's further out but also because it is more anomalous.

Thank you for the update MT - quite interesting to hear the way you think the winter weather will pan out with a mild Dec and Jan followed by a potentially very cold February. However it should be remembered that in Ireland, February is usually our coldest month.

I undertstand this is just a preliminary forecast MT however when do you hope to have your official Ireland Winter Forecast 2012/2013 out? Would we be looking towards the middle of October? :)

D

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

If possible, could anyone provide me with the IMT yearly winter averages (or the individual months) going back to 1979?
    Doing a little analysis and I'd really appreciate it. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

konman wrote: »
    link isnt displaying, any chance you could re-post?

Sorry , fixed.. forgot to keep the attachment in the post.

But of course... it was swiftly removed on the 12z run ha :rolleyes:

Still though , was nice to see a decent Northerly head down .

Wow i sure do like the October CFS run! :)

Met Office monthly outlook onto something here?

221662.png

Brb...... off to build my ramp!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    If possible, could anyone provide me with the IMT yearly winter averages (or the individual months) going back to 1979?
    Doing a little analysis and I'd really appreciate it. Cheers!

You can download monthly or seasonal mean values for a few parameters from most of the Irish stations here:

http://eca.knmi.nl/indicesextremes/customquerytimeseriesplots.php?optionSelected=station&processtext1=Your+query+is+being+processed.+Please+wait...&countryselect=IRELAND|ie&stationselect=All+stations|**&categoryselect=Rain|1&indexselect=RR%3A+Precipitation+sum[1]|RR&seasonselect=Nov|17&processtext2=Your+query+is+being+processed.+Please+wait...

Just select station/parameter/month or season and click 'Next'. A text file will be generated which can then be downloaded then opened in a spreadsheet program such as Excel etc.

Another handy source of Irish temp data which can also be downloaded.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/findstation.py?lat=53.08&lon=-7.88&datatype=gistemp&data_set=1

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

According to this, no frigid winters to come for a few years...

http://www.bitsofscience.org/no-more-horror-winters-europe-winter-forecasts-4668/

Conor30 wrote: »
    According to this, no frigid winters to come for a few years...

http://www.bitsofscience.org/no-more-horror-winters-europe-winter-forecasts-4668/

FIrst thing i did was read the date... sorry ... no dice... :rolleyes:

I don't think the date really matters.

In general though, the author didn't look at a whole lot of variables. What he did look at, he didn't look at many sources of data or do much analysis.
    Overall, I'd say that piece is too simplistic and overlooks way to many things to come to the conclusions that it does.

• Advertisement

In general though, the author didn't look at a whole lot of variables. What he did look at, he didn't look at many sources of data or do much analysis.
    Overall, I'd say that piece is too simplistic and overlooks way to many things to come to the conclusions that it does.

Yes I agree , but from the date ( which we remember was a crappy mild and wet winter period ) , imo i think its like the chill this week where papers started the winter headlines , just the other way around .

Like here... i think Gavin P gives an nice detailed account of what HE THINKS the winter may be like and more importantly , why...
    A nicely put together video i think . :)

Brings in the Met Enesmble Model that and others shockingly enough like the CFS hinting Blocking patterns breaking down the dreaded zonal flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

I think it does matter a lot given that approx 1 month after this was written, europe was in an incredibly cold spell of weather with temps below -30 in eastern europe.

catch.23 wrote: »
    I think it does matter a lot given that approx 1 month after this was written, europe was in an incredibly cold spell of weather with temps below -30 in eastern europe.

The forecast (if you can call it that) was that seasonal length severe cold won't happen. A few weeks of cold was still possible though

The first of many FI cold and snow charts to come this Autumn methinks!

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=140558
    index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=140559
    index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=140560

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

The first of many FI cold and snow charts to come this Autumn methinks!

Nothing comes up

only one wrote: »
    Nothing comes up

I dunno? All seems fine from my side. 3 charts from meteociel, SLP, 850hPa temps and precip...

The Links Not Working :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

The forecast (if you can call it that) was that seasonal length severe cold won't happen. A few weeks of cold was still possible though

If a few weeks of cold are possible then seasonal cold is obviously possible, all it requires is the pattern or blocking that caused the few weeks of cold to stick around a bit longer. i.e. if a certain pattern can cause cold for a few weeks, then it can cause it for the whole winter, but the chances of it happening aren't as high.
    No one can say that we won't have a 1963 style winter in the next few years because they don't happen any more, because if the cold can exist for a week it can equally exist for a month or two.

The article strikes me as someone who thought to themselves that this doesn't happen often, therefore if I say its not going to happen in the next few years I'll probably be right.

I've edited the original post with the charts. Is it working now?
    catch.23 wrote: »
    If a few weeks of cold are possible then seasonal cold is obviously possible, all it requires is the pattern or blocking that caused the few weeks of cold to stick around a bit longer. i.e. if a certain pattern can cause cold for a few weeks, then it can cause it for the whole winter, but the chances of it happening aren't as high.
    No one can say that we won't have a 1963 style winter in the next few years because they don't happen any more, because if the cold can exist for a week it can equally exist for a month or two.

The article strikes me as someone who thought to themselves that this doesn't happen often, therefore if I say its not going to happen in the next few years I'll probably be right.

I think the piece was nonsense anyway, poorly thought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

I've edited the original post with the charts. Is it working now?
    No MiNdGaM3 still not working mate

• Advertisement

Both worked fine for me!

Final attempt, I'll try link from photobucket! There should be 3 images below this line...
    SLPOct7_zps346ae283.png
    850Oct7_zpsec76279b.png
    PrecOct7_zpsed3cc7d9.png

If they don't work, then GEFS perturbation 8, around t324!

It's working now ! thanks !

Both worked fine for me!

If they don't work, then GEFS perturbation 8, around t324!

Nice to see , but not good to see its only one perturbation...

and soo far out ...

Yes... its that one on the 7th of Oct. @-6 850hp
    221758.png

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Nice to see , but not good to see its only one perturbation...

and soo far out ...

Yes... its that one on the 7th of Oct. @-6 850hp
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/207463/221758.png

Never gonna happen, obviously! But nice to know the potential for these kinda events are brewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

The closest bit of cold air i could find ... ( below -4 850hp ) :)

221940.png

And that is yet another run that in November there is 1 or 2 good break down in the zonal West -East flow. :) ... havent gone further than November though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Iancar29 wrote: »
    And that is yet another run that in November there is 1 or 2 good break down in the zonal West -East flow.

221945.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭pompeyboi

So is it Gunna snow? what do people think? i wanna know!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pompeyboi wrote: »
    So is it Gunna snow? what do people think? i wanna know!!!!

It sure will.....someday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

pompeyboi wrote: »
    So is it Gunna snow?

Workin' on it!! :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement