Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

pompeyboi wrote: »
    So is it Gunna snow? what do people think? i wanna know!!!!

will-it-snow-in-the-uk-and-ireland-488x596.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

Just for that Redsunset.... I'm 'ramping' up production....

221951.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Ya may make loads cause there'll be many folk in here at their wits end if nothing comes to fruit. The devastation will be unbearable.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Snowmaker wrote: »
    Just for that Redsunset.... I'm 'ramping' up production....

221951.jpg
    Dont want any of that thanks.
    Looks like anti-snow to me.(salt)

odyboody wrote: »
    Dont want any of that thanks.
    Looks like anti-snow to me.(salt)

Nope, it's fine powdery white snow, the stuff dreams are made of, the promised land, that magical place where good boardsies go when they die...

As for Redsunset... well, that's a cross I have to bear.

Actually, based on the summer, just my thoughts... not much snow this winter, but I do think it will be quite dry and very cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

The latest NAO output suggests that our weather will become somewhat more settled for a time from around the middle of the first week of October. This is signified by the neutral phase that has been hinted in recent days and again in today's output (See below), as well as in all main models showing high pressure building from the west.

221966.gif

Meanwhile, there is no signs of significantly cooler air spilling south from the Arctic in the next 7-14 days as seen in the latest AO output. Temperatures in fact will climb to average or slightly above average levels for the time of year this coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Wolfe_IRE wrote: »

Good to see you back Wolfe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Good to see you back Wolfe.

+1 :) ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

Iancar29 wrote: »

+1 :) ....

Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I dunno where you have been ... we all no we only get 2 days of summer in Ireland... thats enough for me... :rolleyes:

... I want to see my Dog as happy as this again...

156777_10150104939261718_6973677_n.jpg

Honest to God my husky HATES the snow:confused:

Sits at the patio door and goes "meh, knock yourselves out making snowballs. I'll keep my coat dry"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Great to see you back Wolf Ire. I attribute the lack of snow last year directly to your absence......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Smidge wrote: »
    Honest to God my husky HATES the snow:confused:

Sits at the patio door and goes "meh, knock yourselves out making snowballs. I'll keep my coat dry"

He was probably saying to himself, "I'll be the judge of what should be 'my element'...." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

I see scotland woke up to the white stuff but it was snowjoke
    But foam have a look frist video
    http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=maoq1t6bs#/watch?v=Qa_uBgtnxV8

And for today's bit of eye candy :) ...

222107.png

222109.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

:pac:Savage work there Ian !

From the cooler trends which ive noticed in the CFS runs , Met Office have similar thoughts to about October being colder than average and a good probability of this being the consensus for November and December too.

We expect that the current weak El Niño conditions in the
    tropical Pacific will start to disappear by the end of this year,
    and they are not expected to influence European and UK
    weather significantly during the forecast period. Arctic sea ice
    is at its lowest recorded extent, and whilst this could play
    some part in determining weather over the UK over the next
    few months, as yet there is no clear predictive association.
    Sea surface temperatures in the northwest Atlantic are higher
    than normal and this favours a tendency towards colder,
    atmospheric blocking weather patterns over northwestern
    Europe.
    The consensus from computer model simulations is for
    surface pressure to be higher than average to the north of
    the UK during the three-month period, especially in October.
    This is consistent with the anomalous sea surface
    temperature pattern. Such a pressure distribution favours
    weaker than average westerlies or spells of easterly winds,
    increasing the risk of colder than average conditions through
    the period.

222126.png

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/n/3/A3-plots-temp-OND.pdf

Obviously this forecast is only for the UK but its good to see in anyways imo :)

SnowPhoenixParkNewYearsDay2010PA.jpg:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So in layman's terms and without reading back lots n lots of pages - is it time for me to start thinking about getting winter tyres on the car then? :) Had them in 2010 and badly needed too they were on the half-salted M3 in -14 C conditions!

Nowadays I've a much shorter commute but need new tyres anyway so should I take the plunge?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    So in layman's terms and without reading back lots n lots of pages - is it time for me to start thinking about getting winter tyres on the car then? :) Had them in 2010 and badly needed too they were on the half-salted M3 in -14 C conditions!

Nowadays I've a much shorter commute but need new tyres anyway so should I take the plunge?

To keep it short, nobody knows how the winter will play out.. there are some small signs that point to a potentially colder average winter but we could just as quickly end up with a mild and wet one!

Maybe consider getting two snow tires and two normal ones.. set for both eventualities that way. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Keep it on track folks , don't attack the person posting,question the post if you like but dont attack it, if you have nothing useful to say , we'll just don't say anything at all :)

Snow seems to have arrived early(ish) in Svalbaard this year, plenty of snow down to sea level - about a week earlier than this time last year - panoramic webcam here for Longyearbyen:

http://longyearbyen.livecam360.com/flash/main.php

Lower left of the main webcam image you can view archives from previous months/years, even create a time-lapse for a month/year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

When is that postman chap delievering his predictions for this winter and where would u hear it first?

I dunno if it was mentioned before but i like the update on the MWEs page to include winter 09 and 10 :)http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/major-events.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

I dunno if it was mentioned before but i like the update on the MWEs page to include winter 09 and 10 :)http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/major-events.asp

Bit of reminiscing looking at those articles with a cup of tea and then a bit of drooling over some FI CFS charts, thursday night well spent. :D

When is that postman chap delievering his predictions for this winter and where would u hear it first?
    Mid october thatS when he gave it last year, saying that hes more into selling his herb book then weather these days.
    But when vogan mad man netweather etc where predicting a bad winter he was mocking them saying there are no signs of any bad winter, so he was bang on with his forecast so fair play to him respect to him

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Mid october thatS when he gave it last year, saying that hes more into selling his herb book then weather these days.
    But when vogan mad man netweather etc where predicting a bad winter he was mocking them saying there are no signs of any bad winter, so he was bang on with his forecast so fair play to him respect to him

Actually NetWeather were pretty much spot on , considering their forecast was mainly for the UK.

222269.png

mcriot29 wrote: »

Actually NetWeather were pretty much spot on , considering their forecast was mainly for the UK.

222269.png
    Yep your correct i was thinking more of there forum members forecast for last winter not netweather itself , but they did well on there prediction the netweather guy,that forecast from netweather seems to be very good prob best of all longe range

WSI is the company that owns The Weather Channel. It says we (the company lists Ireland as forming part of its 'UK' forecast region) can expect a warmer and wetter than normal Oct to Dec.

It will issue its next seasonal outlook, including the late autumn and early winter forecast, on 22 October.

THIS YEAR'S OCT-DEC FORECAST

WSI (Weather Services International) expects temperatures for the upcoming period (October-December) to average slightly higher than normal across most regions, with the exception of parts of far southeastern Europe.

“As we head further into autumn, trends in the climate models are for a generally mild and wet period across western Europe, with any below-normal temperatures confined to parts of southern and eastern Europe” said Dr. Todd Crawford, WSI Chief Meteorologist. “Further, climate models are suggesting a lack of significant North Atlantic blocking (negative phase of the North Atlantic Oscillation, or NAO) as we head deeper into autumn. While it is still a few weeks too early to issue a proper winter forecast, our preliminary analysis suggests that blocking (and associated cold weather) may be fairly rare, especially early in the winter.”

In October, WSI forecasts:
    Nordic Region* – Warmer than normal
    UK* – Warmer than normal
    Northern Mainland* – Warmer than normal
    Southern Mainland* – Cooler than normal

In November, WSI forecasts:
    Nordic Region – Warmer than normal
    UK – Warmer than normal
    Northern Mainland – Warmer than normal
    Southern Mainland – Warmer than normal

In December, WSI forecasts:
    UK – Warmer than normal

*To view the map defining WSI’s European regions, click here.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

WSI is the company that owns The Weather Channel. It says we (the company lists Ireland as forming part of its 'UK' forecast region) can expect a warmer and wetter than normal Oct to Dec.

It will issue its next seasonal outlook, including the late autumn and early winter forecast, on 22 October.

THIS YEAR'S OCT-DEC FORECAST

WSI (Weather Services International) expects temperatures for the upcoming period (October-December) to average slightly higher than normal across most regions, with the exception of parts of far southeastern Europe.

“As we head further into autumn, trends in the climate models are for a generally mild and wet period across western Europe, with any below-normal temperatures confined to parts of southern and eastern Europe” said Dr. Todd Crawford, WSI Chief Meteorologist. “Further, climate models are suggesting a lack of significant North Atlantic blocking (negative phase of the North Atlantic Oscillation, or NAO) as we head deeper into autumn. While it is still a few weeks too early to issue a proper winter forecast, our preliminary analysis suggests that blocking (and associated cold weather) may be fairly rare, especially early in the winter.”

In October, WSI forecasts:
    Nordic Region* – Warmer than normal
    UK* – Warmer than normal
    Northern Mainland* – Warmer than normal
    Southern Mainland* – Cooler than normal

In November, WSI forecasts:
    UK – Warmer than normal

In December, WSI forecasts:
    UK – Warmer than normal

*To view the map defining WSI’s European regions, click here.
    That's great news,a warmer milder autumn would be perfect.

An interesting article here

"Although there are cavalier assumptions that it is possible to forecast a season ahead, regular failures in that regard show how difficult it is for both amateurs and professionals alike.

"Winter weather will be predicated on a number of atmospheric and oceanic drivers, some of them conflicting, and it is far too early to attempt a prognostication given this complexity. There is one indicator that does have some success but we will have to wait until the second half of October to see how that is evolving. It is the advancement – or not – of snow cover across Eurasia. If this is rapid there is some evidence that shows that Europe is more susceptible to experiencing extreme cold outbreaks brought on north-easterly winds."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

CFS is still sticking to its guns indicating a cold start to winter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement