Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Su Campu wrote: »

Where do you get these facts from? There's no record of snow then - on the ground or otherwise.
    It was either 08 or 09 west dublin had snow end of oct while east had 2 days of thunder i remember the snow on ground
    http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=30&month=10&year=2008&hour=12&map=0&mode=0
    Also look here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/1029/1225197273438.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Edit
    There just looking for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That's the 3rd time this week that that link's been posted. They're insurance guys so are misquoting what was forecast to get a bit of extra business. :rolleyes:

mcriot29 wrote: »
    It was either 08 or 09 west dublin had snow end of oct while east had 2 days of thunder i remember the snow on ground
    http://www.meteociel.com/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=30&month=10&year=2008&hour=12&map=0&mode=0
    Also look here

But the snow on the ground in Dublin? Casement has a couple brief reports of sleet mixed with rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Advertisement

But the snow on the ground in Dublin? Casement has a couple brief reports of sleet mixed with rain.
    There was snow on ground is west dublin it lasted over a day i rem it east dub had none just lots of thunder no rain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Pangea wrote: »

To be fair there is a difference though, Madden is just a chancer with a website, those BWS guys are made up of former UK Met Office and Royal Navy staff, so at least they have some kind of experience and qualifications. Having said that, I don't think anyone or any computer model can predict long range with much degree of certainty. The weather will still do what it wants to do!

There was snow on ground is west dublin it lasted over a day i rem it east dub had none just lots of thunder no rain

Casement is in west Dublin. Now there were also some hail reports, so that could have lasted on the ground.

Casement is in west Dublin. Now there were also some hail reports, so that could have lasted on the ground.
    It was snow and was in blanch area defo not hail

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Very interesting charts tonight, all just a bit early though, if it was the 20th of November i'd be getting excited but it's only the 20th of October!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

It was snow and was in blanch area defo not hail

Are you mixing up with October 2003?

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/oct03.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Also look here

That 2 days of thunder was definitely before 2005. I remember it well as I was working across the road from a telecom eireann mast. It sounded like someone was dropping bombs on us !!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There was no snow in October in lucan at that time as was doing marathon training. There was snow in November 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Thread from back then confirms it did snow, can't imagine it lasted on the ground for two day though

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055407835&page=9

Harps wrote: »
    Thread from back then confirms it did snow, can't imagine it lasted on the ground for two day though

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055407835&page=9
    Yep i new in was 08 and it lasted in blanch for over a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

in 08 we got loads of snow in drogheda and it lasted for about 3 days....it started snowing in the evening and with in a few hrs we had about 5 inches :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Not wrote: »
    That 2 days of thunder was definitely before 2005. I remember it well as I was working across the road from a telecom eireann mast. It sounded like someone was dropping bombs on us !!:eek:

That was October 2003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Thewweatheroutlook with Brian Gaze is increasingly going towards an exceptionally cold spell for October starting at the end of next week. The earliest I have seen snow ever in Ireland (excluding very high ground and mountains) was in 2008... It snowed the day before Halloween and there was a brief dusting at Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow (about 100 metres above sea level).

Does anyone have any info on very early or indeed late snowfalls in Ireland? The latest I witnessed was 7th May 1997 when heavy snow showers hit many parts. I was living in Co. Sligo then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thewweatheroutlook with Brian Gaze is increasingly going towards an exceptionally cold spell for October starting at the end of next week.

"Exceptionally Cold spell
    " for October as you put it implies c. -5c temps for at least a few nights.

This is the latest Gaze article.

Show me the bit where he says October will be EXCEPTIONALLY cold in Ireland or say nearby in NW England or Wales.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

"Exceptionally Cold spell
    " for October as you put it implies c. -5c temps for at least a few nights.

This is the latest Gaze article.

Show me the bit where he says October will be EXCEPTIONALLY cold in Ireland or say nearby in NW England or Wales.

Woh... Just a tad aggressive there Sir... back off. I only quoting what I read and made no specific references to Ireland. And yes I am aware that exceptionally cold in October is nothing like what ciukd happen in December or January under similar setups.

• Advertisement

Woh... Just a tad aggressive there Sir... back off. I only quoting what I read and made no specific references to Ireland. And yes I am aware that exceptionally cold in October is nothing like what ciukd happen in December or January under similar setups.
    Yeah a lot on here are aggressive and seem to be a click

Totally agree dude. But I enjoy the forum and learn plenty off others... though there are a few know alls who seem to think they run the show ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Woh... Just a tad aggressive there Sir... back off.

Ah no, Sponge Bob is not aggressive really, he is just a big cuddly snow bunny behind it all! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Wolfe_IRE

225232.png

tumblr_lh4tx2bYkx1qgd4eno1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

nYMup.gif

Upper air temps vs 30 year average for next Saturday based on the GFS. -4 to -6 degrees below average over Ireland, but up to -10 further east. Meanwhile uppers over Greenland are +12 degrees above average, which is as high as the scale goes on that chart. Will be interesting to see how close to this it ends up being.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Totally agree dude. But I enjoy the forum and learn plenty off others... though there are a few know alls who seem to think they run the show ;)

Have to disagree guys, never found it aggressive or cliquey on here. Sure people will challenge you if you post information that other people might rely on, without backing it up with examples or links, but that's a good thing. If it could possibly misinform people, and you're not really sure if it's true then mention that in the post, or better yet, don't post it.

With the amount of "I know a guy whose dog's brother's best friend's owner gets a pain in his left knee when snow is coming..." made up sh*te that can appear on here during the crazy season, it's good to have people on here that can debate both sides, WITHOUT bitchiness or resorting to insults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Have to disagree guys, never found it aggressive or cliquey on here. Sure people will challenge you if you post information that other people might rely on, without backing it up with examples or links, but that's a good thing. If it could possibly misinform people, and you're not really sure if it's true then mention that in the post, or better yet, don't post it.

With the amount of "I know a guy whose dog's brother's best friend's owner gets a pain in his left knee when snow is coming..." made up sh*te that can appear on here during the crazy season, it's good to have people on here that can debate both sides, WITHOUT bitchiness or resorting to insults.

A person can be critical without being cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

A person can be critical without being cynical.

Yeah, but I don't see the cynicism in here.. there can be a lot of trolls so maybe some people are just a bit more suspicious of others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Brian Gaze did NOT!!!! predict an 'exceptionally cold spell' in 'october' in 'Ireland' ....to be precise!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Looking forward to Friday! At last single figures for everyone.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20021927

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement