Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What time do the models come out at?

....now! Here ya go.

http://youtu.be/C-cqUj99zMI

Sorry, couldn't resist!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

12z and 6z runs compared no major change at all.

gfs-0-108.png?12
    gfs-0-114.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Twas a windup. :P In reality, @ t108 the block is slightly further west, cleaner source of cold air resulting in the cold air arriving faster but also much colder air to our northeast. Looking forward to the rest of the frames. Obviously these details are not worth agonizing over this far out, but it's fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Big difference with that low south of Greenland at 114 hours.

Colder but drier here at 120.

Just to illustrate the improvement in temps @ the 850hpa level. 6z v 12z

6z:
    gfs-1-126_imv1.png

12z:
    gfs-1-120_atl3.png

Containing my excitement is becoming a desperate stuggle, I promised myself I'll wait 2 more days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Just to illustrate the improvement in temps @ the 850hpa level. 6z v 12z

Containing my excitement is becoming a desperate stuggle, I promised myself I'll wait 2 more days!

Exxxxcellllent *rubs hands together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,968 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Remarkable fixing of the trend for this remove. Even UK met have gone for a bit of a ramp themselves on their 15 and 30 day outlooks!

144...oh dear. This could all be over very quickly.

The block does look more fragile around the t144 mark. Big changes in what would normally be the reliable timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CrimsonSunrise

Looking good! We really need the 850 temps to be -8c or -10c right across the country if we want snowfall from an easterly. And us down south would need some interaction between lows to the south with the easterly air mass for some decent snowfall. It's a longshot! Come on the upgrades!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Limbo that's were we are! (cold and frosty)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Looking good! We really need the 850 temps to be -8c or -10c right across the country if we want snowfall from an easterly. And us down south would need some interaction between lows to the south with the easterly air mass for some decent snowfall. It's a longshot! Come on the upgrades!

Very parochial point but we can get streamers in Cork from a south easterly as Cork is essentially the east coast (if you know what I mean) for winds from that direction.

A few cold, dry days with a very slack northeasterly and then the ridge vanishes and it's milder, wet stuff coming back in. Much more realistic compared to what was shown yesterday

Starting to look very poor but its a huge change from the 06Z so too early to say for sure yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I'm not sure I'd like this evenings 12z gfs solution.
    Colder 850 temps are good,but being stuck in a sort of col (no wind) is not so good.

Waiting for a dogs dinner from the ecm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

A few cold, dry days with a very slack northeasterly and then the ridge vanishes and it's milder, wet stuff coming back in. Much more realistic compared to what was shown yesterday

Starting to look very poor but its a huge change from the 06Z so too early to say for sure yet.

OMG seriously? That's disappointing but not unexpected I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Cold ends before it really starts. If Ecm picks this up then it's game over, ball burst for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

The whole high pressure block is orientated further north and reaches as far as greenland. Unfortunately this lets the atlantic back in for us but only slight changes to this (slight push south of the western flank of the high) could be excellent for us IMO or more likely it will be a pile of tosh.

I wouldn't say it's 'starting to look very poor', one op run showing a breakdown outside of the current reliable timeframe? If anything it's an upgrade in terms of temps up to 144 anyway! Things go wrong after that though.

GFS FI = The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Nice charts if you're looking for flooding.

UKMO very similar to GFS at 144...:(

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's 'starting to look very poor', one op run showing a breakdown outside of the current reliable timeframe? If anything it's an upgrade in terms of temps up to 144 anyway! Things go wrong after that though.

UKMO at 144 looks similar though, except maybe even a bit worse.

We'll have to see what the ECM holds, but yeah at the moment things aren't looking too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Its probably timely to stick in a post here that this gfs is not what's going to happen,no more than the last 2 ecm's are.

Truth being told,the weather is trumping the models ,but do you know I think the met service professionals are confident using intuition alone that something very cold is coming,as am I

Pointless talking about Extreme FI breakdowns when we can't be sure of nearer term details at this stage

For sure there will be a return of atlantic weather,there has to be,it's nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

At least the downgrades are happening now as opposed to in the reliable timeframe!
    The experts have advised that teleconnections do not support any long lasting mild incursions but they were possible on occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cold getting colder, wouldnt be to bothered comparing yesterdays FI to todays FI.

Still T120 before the cold uppers hit the east coast.

Wouldnt panic about the Atlantic attack in low resolution.

Yes the East flow has slackened but it could only be downgrades after yesterday evenings charts and still far enough out to upgrade again :)

Anyone pulling hair out after each run because it's not showing snowfall in their area yet will be to exhausted to enjoy the snow by the time it finally arrives ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

UKMO +144 is far from a poor chart? Big block, undercutting, ridging stretching eastwards towards greenland.....

Also GFS is grand in the reliable timeframe?? If your calling game over based on the stupidly overplayed low in FI then you've been on the crazy beans.

Calm down people, just because the raging easterly of the ECM the other day aren't still there(kinda obvious they wouldn't be) doesn't mean it's game over. And the notion that we were even guaranteed a long cold spell was never hugely on the cards, other than the rogue ECM and GFS there's always been subtle hints of the Atlantic stirring in far FI.

But FI is just that at the moment, fantasy. Let's get the cold and the blocking in place, then see what happens. The orientation if the high will change plenty in the next few runs, a nudge south, and hello beasterly and high potential for a longer cold spell, a nudge north, we risk the Atlantic approaching. So finely balanced. Give it a few runs before getting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

NOGAPS all the way, on a one horse open sleigh :D

nogaps-0-180_tim0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

John.Icy wrote: »
    UKMO +144 is far from a poor chart? Big block, undercutting, ridging stretching eastwards towards greenland.....

Also GFS is grand in the reliable timeframe?? If your calling game over based on the stupidly overplayed low in FI then you've been on the crazy beans.

Calm down people, just because the raging easterly of the ECM the other day aren't still there(kinda obvious they wouldn't be) doesn't mean it's game over. And the notion that we were even guaranteed a long cold spell was never hugely on the cards, other than the rogue ECM and GFS there's always been subtle hints of the Atlantic stirring in far FI.

But FI is just that at the moment, fantasy. Let's get the cold and the blocking in place, then see what happens. The orientation if the high will change plenty in the next few runs, a nudge south, and hello beasterly and high potential for a longer cold spell, a nudge north, we risk the Atlantic approaching. So finely balanced. Give it a few runs before getting down.

Someone talks a bit of scene at last, some people on here never learn its as bad as net weather. Its one run from the GFS, FI is 144 hours, The gfs is more than likely over doing things as usual. Some one said the UKMO is a bad chart at 144hrs I must be going blind.

Wait for the the ECM 12z to come out and im sure some of you might change your minds again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Netweather has a nice covering over the Wicklow mountains tonight, anyone think that's going to happen ?

uksnowrisk.png

Also the Cork Snow Shield looks like it's malfunctioning 177 hours out :rolleyes:

uksnowrisk.png

Someone talks a bit of scene at last, some people on here never learn its as bad as net weather. Its one run from the GFS, FI is 144 hours, The gfs is more than likely over doing things as usual. Some one said the UKMO is a bad chart at 144hrs I must be going blind.

Wait for the the ECM 12z to come out and im sure some of you might change your minds again.

Regarding the UKMO, look at the hemispheric view, very similar to GFS only with lower heights to our north. It's bad because it looks like it would result in a breakdown like the GFS if rolled on from t144, probably even quicker. Not that im taking FI output seriously, but it cant be ignored either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

dacogawa wrote: »
    Netweather has a nice covering over the Wicklow mountains tonight, anyone think that's going to happen ? ...

Here is a pic from the wicklow mtns earlier today, posted on the ramping thread!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82104920&postcount=580

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement