Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

totally agree as much as I love snow I really dont want to see it in the run up to christmas. Hopefully things will turn much colder between Stephens Day and New Years Eve with snow showers battering the East!.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Gonzo wrote: »
    totally agree as much as I love snow I really dont want to see it in the run up to christmas. Hopefully things will turn much colder between Stephens Day and New Years Eve with snow showers battering the East!.

There we go the east again, there's more to Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

davidsr20 wrote: »
    There we go the east again, there's more to Ireland :)

Well in fairness, the east of Ireland does get the real powder snow and not that wet Atlantic sleet :D however I suppose that is down to Dublin being located on the east coast, thus putting it in a very favourable position when the beast from the east gets going ! (Russian and Scandinavian influences)

Also with the right conditions, the Irish Sea is a snow-making machine........think lake effect snow ;) unfortunately Galway is a little too far west from the Irish Sea. However if we get a belt of the powder snow this winter, we will send some over west to you David :D

Anyway, I digress and lets get back to the models.........looking very mild in the run up to Christmas so lets hope MT is right about early January and a possible cold outbreak.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A Met Eireann 2228 update hinting at a small chance of some sleet and snow on high ground- MONDAY (CHRISTMAS EVE): A frosty start in parts, with rain across southern counties slowly extending countrywide by early afternoon - risk of sleet and snow later in the day - mainly over higher ground. Winds will be light variable at first, becoming fresh northerly along southern and eastern counties. Feeling colder, with highest temperatures 6 to 9 degrees Celsius.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seems there's a cooling trend for christmas day onwards. Thinks looks optimistic I must say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Delighted that it's going to be colder on Christmas Eve :D That's something at least :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,046 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Next week will play out very much like last week, cooler damp muck, clear enough for frost on perhaps half the nights following a brief blowy period on Sunday, very unremarkable. Morning frost over damp ground is the best bet for a festive interlude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Next week will play out very much like last week, cooler damp muck, clear enough for frost on perhaps half the nights following a brief blowy period on Sunday, very unremarkable. Morning frost over damp ground is the best bet for a festive interlude!

I disagree, There is a fair chance it could snow in northern areas some day next week. There is certainly potential, more than your average Irish week in winter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

leahyl wrote: »
    Delighted that it's going to be colder on Christmas Eve :D That's something at least :pac:
    Lets hope so. Even a frosty Xmas morning would be nice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

leahyl wrote: »

It may get even colder. Each run over the last 3 weeks has been retreating this warm spell/warm-plume etc. We are so close to a good solid cold spell of weather.

The atlantic hasnt been winning out. Temputures havent been over 10 c widely throughtout the country.

Each run has been showing differant sernrios on how there might be a push west or from the north or from the north east.

Low pressure systems have been slowly shown to move south east, or pushed back towards the labador strait or disapppear from one run to another.

All very positive at the moment for cold lovers.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z runs will be interesting today.

Indeedlers waiting with bated breath

Saturday morning is a total washout anyway.

2Nu2a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Saturday morning is a total washout anyway.

[IMG][/img]

Thats a lot of snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Saturday morning is a total whiteout anyway.

2Nu2a.png

This is a typo right :D

red_bairn wrote: »
    This is a typo right :D

Nope. No amount of wishcasting will turn that rain to snow on the 22nd. :P

Saturday night / Sunday morning looking windy. Gales on southern and western coasts.

Northwesterly airflow on Christmas Day. -4 uppers over the country. Possible chance of snow on hills/mountains in the northwest there. Rain/sleet at lower levels. Maximum temps a few degrees above freezing.

Thats it up to 120. Colder than the 06Z.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Some elevated Northern parts may see some snow on christmas day if the 12z is right
    233424.png

233425.png

Northwesterly airflow on Christmas Day. -4 uppers over the country. Possible chance of snow on hills/mountains in the northwest there. Rain/sleet at lower levels.

Thats it up to 120. Colder than the 06Z.

Still time for it to change, hopefully it swings in a more favourable way.
    What altitude do you reckon it could snow at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Lots of cold air building up north. Tonights 18z could be legandary run. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Can really see why some do not want to commit to calling another mild winter/xmas going by the way models have been evolving. Without being bias either way there has been no clear cut evidence that this winter will swing cold or mild. Temptation is to keep calling mild simply because thats the norm for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

If I could have anything for Christmas this year it would be a DSLR & snow! That would make me extremely happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnnyoneone

You know the snow/cold people say might come... if that does come will it only come for about a day or any chance of it sticking around for a while?

12Z ECM at 120 says no to snow on Christmas Day. Only 0 to -2 uppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

12Z ECM at 120 says no to snow on Christmas Day. Only 0 to -2 uppers.

But hardly mild compared to the temps the charts were showing for xmas day a few runs back.

But hardly mild compared to the temps the charts were showing for xmas day a few runs back.

Personally, if there isn't going to be snow then I'd prefer dry, mild weather over cool, wet weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I'd prefer dry, mild weather over cool, wet weather!
    I'd prefer dry cold weather over both :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

RecentSnowCoverEuropeAsia.gif

Snow coverage certainly looks better this year. Lots of cold ground in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

But if you compare that to todays coverage, it has fallen back, not in Germany or North Italy

ims2012355.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Yes I know its the GFS precip chart

And I know its at T120

But there are shady bits over my house, LOOK !!! :pac::p

gfs-2-120_drs5.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement