Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter/Spring 2013 (Model Output Discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Worth noting that if it aint cold enough for snow it might aswell be very mild and almost enjoyable
    I dont see much value in cold without snow

Mid Jan looks to be the time for change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Worth noting that if it aint cold enough for snow it might aswell be very mild and almost enjoyable

But that's the problem with irish winters, 12-14C with rain and mhist is not enjoyable and neither is 4C with rain and mhist. Personally I would rather the 4C because at least there is a chance of some nice crispy frosts in the morning as opposed to 10C with grey and mist nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thats your preference
    My preference- Worth nothing that if it aint warm enough for shorts and t shirt it might aswell be cool and almost enjoyable.
    Snow has nothing to do with it. Love the cold dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

MUSEIST wrote: »
    But that's the problem with irish winters, 12-14C with rain and mhist is not enjoyable and neither is 4C with rain and mhist. Personally I would rather the 4C because at least there is a chance of some nice crispy frosts in the morning as opposed to 10C with grey and mist nothingness.
    If anyone is claiming that there's no difference between standing out in rain at 4 degrees, and the same rain at 10 degrees, then they're talking utter nonsense! I work outdoors regularly and 10 degrees is a lot more tolerable than cold, sleety, not-even-pretty rain.

And frost is not likely to form at any temperature above freezing, not if it's raining too... It can easily be 10 degrees during the daytime only for temperatures to reach 1 or 2 degrees at night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Looking very mild for the coming 5-7 days with temperatures likely to reach 13-15oC on Friday. Not particularly wintry eh? :D

I find the meteorologist Brian Gaze pretty accurate over on TWO (The Weather Outlook). Below is his latest update, posted at 7.30pm this evening. In a nutshell, he is not buying all this talk of an SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming) event.

Now snow lovers won't like this but his view is that we might not see any snow until around Valentine's Day....that is 6 weeks away! Also, his comments only pertain to England.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

This winter is proving very testing for snow lovers in Ireland. Is anyone hopeful of snow this winter for the Emerald Isle or do you think we are in for a snowless one again? :D

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

derekon wrote: »
    Looking very mild for the coming 5-7 days with temperatures likely to reach 13-15oC on Friday. Not particularly wintry eh? :D

I find the meteorologist Brian Gaze pretty accurate over on TWO (The Weather Outlook). Below is his latest update, posted at 7.30pm this evening. In a nutshell, he is not buying all this talk of an SSW (Sudden Stratospheric Warming) event.

Now snow lovers won't like this but his view is that we might not see any snow until around Valentine's Day....that is 6 weeks away! Also, his comments only pertain to England.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

This winter is proving very testing for snow lovers in Ireland. Is anyone hopeful of snow this winter for the Emerald Isle or do you think we are in for a snowless one again? :D

D
    Things are starting to look good in the long range carts sill way out in FI things start looking cold last week in january first week in febaury if nothing happens then, i think we be out of look for snow lovers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Shocking disagreement by Day 5. No solid resolution on pressure to our north even within 120 hours.

234737.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Shocking disagreement by Day 5. No solid resolution on pressure to our north even within 120 hours.

234737.png

Slight variations in the predicted timings of vigourous low pressure systems passing through is always going to give a graph like that though.

The general situation seems clear enough, HP over or slightly to our south steers a succession of LP systems up over Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Certainly trending downwards on the 06Z

graphe_ens3.php?x=106&ext=1&y=4&run=6&runpara=0

nilhg wrote: »
    Slight variations in the predicted timings of vigourous low pressure systems passing through is always going to give a graph like that though.

The general situation seems clear enough, HP over or slightly to our south steers a succession of LP systems up over Iceland.

If you looked at the esembles themselves from yesterdays 12z you'd see that wasn't the case. A lot of member going for vastly different solutions, confidence is very low pas t4 days at this rate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I think it's going to be a while yet before we see anything interesting in the 0-120 range. The changes with the strat are only getting going now, and there could be a 2-4 week lag by the time there is an impact on conditions closer to the surface. Even then, it doesn't man we'll see anything interesting in this part of the world, but at least there will be potential for some big changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

D

I find that strange. Are you sure he's not of the view that a ssw event will happen, but that the outcome will not be favourable for the uk once its effects show up in the troposphere. I ask because a ssw event is very likely to happen. Also bear in mind that M.T. Craniums winter forecast of a cold February is likely predicated on the usual 2- 3 week time lag between a major winter warming event, which is predicted to occur on the 6th or seventh of January, showing its hand at the level where weather occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I find that strange. Are you sure he's not of the view that a ssw event will happen, but that the outcome will not be favourable for the uk once its effects show up in the troposphere. I ask because a ssw event is very likely to happen. Also bear in mind that M.T. Craniums winter forecast of a cold February is likely predicated on the usual 2- 3 week time lag between a major winter warming event, which is predicted to occur on the 6th or seventh of January, showing its hand at the level where weather occurs.

Apologies Nacho, I should have clarified. The SSW is taking place, no doubt about that and of course Brian Gaze accepts that as its a meteorological fact. What I meant to say is that he does not necessarily think it will bring cold over the British Isles.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Apologies Nacho, I should have clarified. The SSW is taking place, no doubt about that and of course Brian Gaze accepts that as its a meteorological fact. What I meant to say is that he does not necessarily think it will bring cold over the British Isles.

D

Oh yeah? Yeah yeah well he's.. he's wrong!!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

D

Did he explain why exactly he did not feel it will bring cold over the British Isles or is it just a hunch. :D I guess like everyone else he will just have to wait and see what this dynamic process will bring :D Exciting times ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Can someone explain to me what this SSW is? I presume something off to our South South-West?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

kstand wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what this SSW is? I presume something off to our South South-West?

Sudden stratospheric warming

The temperature in the stratosphere rises very sharply in a short space of time and when it happens it can split or even shred the polar vortex causing height rises to the North of the Ireland which can lead to cold and snow, you cant really spot the actual warming itself on the normal model output but you can see the effects of one down the line but there are all manner of charts from all models specific to the profile of the stratosphere.

Thread following it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056803618

kstand wrote: »

Pop over here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056803618

Look at the state of these !

graphe_ens3.php?x=108&ext=1&y=3&run=6&runpara=0

A lot of chopping and changing to come

you cant really spot the actual warming itself on the normal model output

You can, meteociel give temperature charts for the 10hpa level on the GFS for one.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=6&code=code&mode=10&mode3h=&runpara=0&carte=1

Other sites give a wider range of Strat output from various models.

• Advertisement

D

No need to apologise:) let's just hope he's wrong. one thing in our favour is that there are two possible further warmings forecast after the ssw occurs, crucially one of them may well see off any remnants of the vortex that might like to take up resident in Greenland, which would really not be what we want to see! so the second warming, if it comes to pass, should increase our chances of blocking setting up in the right place.
    still, as we all know, we can have the most promising background signals for a cold outbreak, yet the blasted Altantic still wins.

we should all think about doing a snow dance or two:D

No need to apologise:) let's just hope he's wrong. one thing in our favour is that there are two possible further warmings forecast after the ssw occurs, crucially one of them may well see off any remnants of the vortex that might like to take up resident in Greenland, which would really not be what we want to see! so the second warming, if it comes to pass, should increase our chances of blocking setting up in the right place.
    still, as we all know, we can have the most promising background signals for a cold outbreak, yet the blasted Altantic still wins.

we should all think about doing a snow dance or two:D

Across the board agreement on the models that there will be a significant downturn on temps as soon as the end of next week :D the GFS was leading the way then this morning the ECM and the UKMO really have begun to pick up on the new cooling trend :D MT has now factored into his forecast a transitional period into his outlook :D plus have not seen many mild rampers about lately :rolleyes:

OK first of all I thought there was a gap for this kind of thread, if the mods think otherwise feel free to shut it. This is not a thread for posting FI eyecandy charts.

For the first post I'll focus on a much talked about possible cold spell developing. It is true that it looks like the pieces of the jigsaw are falling into place. By that I mean to allow potential for a cold outbreak.

What has been creating all the buzz lately is the SSW(Sudden Stratospheric Warming). But what does it mean for us down here. Info about the SSW itself can be found in the strat thread. Current output show further warming episodes after the initial SSW. This eventually splits the vortex, with a piece being forced into Canada by the subsequent third warming. As shown in the chart below this leaves a ridge over Greenland.
    235076.png

This will encourage height rises and high pressure in the region of Greenland in the troposphere(our part of the atmosphere). A Greenland high would allow cold air air to be drawn from the North/Northeast

Of course, stratospheric drivers can be overruled. And I talked about this in the ramping thread. The MJO(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden%E2%80%93Julian_oscillation) is currently in a phase which will tend to mute the stratospheric signal. But it is forecast to transition to phase 7 in about day 10/11, then on to phase 8.
    235081.gif

Phase 7 of the MJO tends to support height rises over Greenland and in the mid Atlantic. Here is a composite 500mb height anomaly for MJO phase 7 in January.
    235084.gif

And now onto the the models. Well, let's call a spade a spade, they are all over the place. Very hard to find consistency. In volatile situations like this it can be more helpful to look at ensemble anomaly means. These two(GFS and NAEFS) suggest heights building over Greenland.

NAEFS
    235087.png

GFS
    235088.gif

As ever there is no guarantees, but I think at this stage it is reasonable to get a little bit excited. I Suspect the High to our south will make several attempts to push north over us. It will probably stay stagnant over us for a while. We might get some cool sunny weather with some frost. Similar to this set up:
    ECM1-144_lwq7.GIF

After this there is a lot of uncertainty, but as I displayed above there is good reason the believe that heights could build over Greenland. This may open the door for an outbreak of wintry weather after mid month. :)

Nice ECM tonight out at +168, very different to the dire GFS !

ECM1-168_hag4.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Wonderful ECM... :)

And at +192...... :D

Im banking this as the new trend !

ECM1-192_lyd8.GIF

ECM0-192_jtb3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z ECM at 168-192....Wow. Shows the potential of what could happen even earlier than expected.

12Z ECM at 168-192....Wow. Shows the potential of what could happen even earlier than expected.

It really does, will the low undercut on the next frame now ?

i fear the gfs suddenly dropping the idea of a second warming in the stratosphere could be hugely significant- it could explain the latest awful gfs run
    however, were the latest gfs run to verify, it would seem to back up M.T. Cranium's idea that the notably cold weather would fail at first to reach us.

i wonder has all this anything to do with the suggested increase in solar activity? it was said that the failed easterly in december was due to a sudden uptake in November. although, of course there was no major stratospheric warming event going on back then.

• Advertisement

+216 still great. Run the last 3 frames and watch that vortex love heading directly towards us.

I want to see the next frame !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement