Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mobile Dallas Texas

Options
  • 10-06-2012 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys,
    Ill be travelling to Dallas this summer with a friend for 1 week.The hotel im staying at provide a free shuttle from DFW airport to the hotel but they require that i ring them when i arrive to collect us.
    just wondering,is it possible to use an irish mobile phone (and sim card) to call them.
    If so,does anyone know what codes i would use?
    Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your mobile needs to be authorised for international roaming, only way to be 100% certain is to phone your network call centre them and ask or drop into one of their shops and ask.

The phone also needs to supports the US networks, what's the make and model?

Store the hotel phone number in your phone with '+1' as the prefix followed by the 10 digit phone number.

For example, if the hotel website shows their number as (234) 567 4444, store it as +12345674444

Don't listen to anyone who mentions '00' as an international dial prefix, the only foolproof prefix is '+' followed by the country code (1 for US & Canada) followed by the local number.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 poopsie

I travel to the states once a year on average. Roaming is quite expensive. You may be better off either buying a U.S. sim card for an unlocked phone prior to your trip. That's what I usually do. One thing to keep in mind, tho. Depending on which U.S. simcard you buy, you can be charged up to .60 connection fee. I have used Telestial in the past. While their price per minute is around $0.10 per minute, the connection charge is $.60. I ran out of credit quickly and had to top up.

They will send you the sim card prior to travel so that's a plus. I had my phone all hooked up and ready to call my brother by the time I landed in the states. If you plan to use your mobile phone a lot while you are there, a U.S. sim card may be the way to go. However, if you only need to call the hotel upon arrival, I'd just use a pay phone at the airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I second Poopsie's advice above, it'd be a lot handier to use a payphone. I'm sure they'd expect it as you are coming in from abroad as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 highcream

I second Poopsie's advice above, it'd be a lot handier to use a payphone. I'm sure they'd expect it as you are coming in from abroad as well.

Do pay phones still exist in the US?:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

highcream wrote: »
    Do pay phones still exist in the US?:)

Last time I was there, but that was back in 2008. They are bound to still have'em around commuting hubs like airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 highcream

Last time I was there, but that was back in 2008. They are bound to still have'em around commuting hubs like airports.

Ya,surely.
    Thanks for the help.
    Mylocal vodafone store said i would need to use my sisters i phone to be able to ring the hotel rather than the old style nokia i have.
    Cheers

An easy way to check would be to see if the airport has a website and lookup what facilities they have.

Advertisement