Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which country in your opinion is the most loved globally?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Lots of love for Lesbos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I don't think Ireland is as well liked as we'd like to believe. The arrogance associated with the celtic tiger era, cringey statements like "everyone loves the Irish", and the sheer ignorance of some Irish abroad isnt doing us any favours.

I'd say this could well be right, I think English people think they are loved worldwide too... and look at the USA (snigger)... talk about delusional

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Country - statistically France
    People - it would have to be the natives of a place people have actually heard of and who haven't ever been the aggressors in a major conflict so maybe somewhere like Finland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Can't really be considered a nation but I'd say Native Americans are pretty much universally liked.

Except by the European colonists who tried to wipe them off the face of the Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Hawaii. Ukelele's and coconut bras. What's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Country - statistically France
    People - it would have to be the natives of a place people have actually heard of and who haven't ever been the aggressors in a major conflict so maybe somewhere like Finland?

I thought no one liked the French...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I never hear anything but love for the Vatican City on here. :D

Sure everyone loves a plucky wee underdog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

A few people mentioned Japan - I don't think they're as universally liked as you might think. They've been involved in their fair share of conflicts and have done some seriously nasty things down the years. I would say that our own little Ireland is more liked around the world than Japan. Someone mentioned Canada and then there was Greenland, Iceland etc. I don't know so much if these countries are 'liked' so much as they're just in existence and don't bother anybody.

I'd say New Zealand is a country that is very well liked indeed.

Antartica!!

Everyone likes Antartica and the happy feet penguins and the snow and ice and all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Thud

Monaco is pretty liked for it's size...has Monte Carlo and a sort of fairy tail monarchy thing going for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Antartica!!

Everyone likes Antartica and the happy feet penguins and the snow and ice and all!!

Yeah well 5 of the scientists that live there are sound, but nobody likes that one gobshlte Pedro, everyone hates him. So he wrecks their average. Typical. So Pedro:mad:

Yeah well 5 of the scientists that live there are sound, but nobody likes that one gobshlte Pedro, everyone hates him. So he wrecks their average. Typical. So Pedro:mad:

I think Pedro is a sound chap... Yeah he likes to make fart jokes a little too often and can be a dick at times but that's just what makes him Pedro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Serious I'd say Ireland and by a long way too-Most of the country's mentioned may not be hated but very few of them would be loved!

Like Canada is lovely and people say nice things about it but you won't see half the world claiming to be Canadian, Lot's of people may visit France but that's because the Cultural art stuff, Overall the French would not be a particularly liked people and considered quite rude and arrogant.

Japan-I don't know anyone who loves Japan!! again it might be nice when there but most people will never be there or care to go either.

Ireland certainly is loved and even though we like to knock ourselves this can't be denied.

Strangely Britain seems to be a lot more loved than we like to think too, especially by Americans and Canadians etc

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

No one mentioned the Dutch :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

who haven't ever been the aggressors in a major conflict so maybe somewhere like Finland?

Read up on Finland in WW2.

• Advertisement

Smcgie wrote: »

Probably for good reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

blackwhite wrote: »
    I never hear anything but love for the Vatican City on here. :D

Sure everyone loves a plucky wee underdog!
    LOL, the most disgustingly ornamented place on the face of the planet imho.

I'm going to say the Italians: great history, great food, beautiful women and fast cars. What's not to like? (other than Vatican City being within their borders!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I don't think Ireland is as well liked as we'd like to believe. The arrogance associated with the celtic tiger era, cringey statements like "everyone loves the Irish", and the sheer ignorance of some Irish abroad isnt doing us any favours.

In my experience, being irish is definitely a good thing when abroad. Ironicly, your post demonstrates one of the reasons perfectly. We're the least arrogant people in the world, we're the complete opposite, almost self loathing.

But to answer the op's question, Israel. Everyone loves them :D

Sleepy wrote: »
    LOL, the most disgustingly ornamented place on the face of the planet imho.

I'm going to say the Italians: great history, great food, beautiful women and fast cars. What's not to like? (other than Vatican City being within their borders!)

Yeah, for some reason people are always ready to give the Italians a pass on their part in WWII (and the Roman empire).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Colonialist past, ingrained racism (in a light-hearted, part-of-the-furniture way), and a conservative bluntness, despite their social liberalism.
    The nice ones are terribly nice though, and they're not as awkwardly neurotic as so many of us. They seem to be born with mountains of confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Italians they just seem so cool.

biko wrote: »
    On topic, everyone loves Spain.
    No they don't, met a good few people in Peru and Ecuador that despised spain. Countries with a colonial past are a no no.
    Yeah, for some reason people are always ready to give the Italians a pass on their part in WWII (and the Roman empire).

Even the Germans hate them and they were on the same side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

There are 1.3 Billion Chinese, so statistically they are probably the most loved.

Great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

bb1234567 wrote: »
    If I were to guess I'd say Canada was number 1. They just seems so nice and dont seem to have a problem with any country, and no country seems to have any problems with them either bar the american candian friendly rivalry.

Maybe Australia or New Zealand, again neither engage much in world affairs and those countries and their people seem to be generally very nice and well liked.

Well you mighnt think it but Id say Ireland is definitely 4th place after canada,nz and oz. The irish are so well liked all over the world I just think theyve got to get 4th place.The only reason I wouldnt put us first is because of the rivalry with britain throughout history and the troubles in the north and all that.But other than the uk and northern ireland Id say were the most well liked country on the planet which is good :)

Australia engages in war just as readily as the US. Plenty of Aussie troops went to Iraq on false pretenses so I doubt they are well liked there. And they committed their fair share of atrocities during the Vietnam war so I'm doubting they're liked there either.

Back on topic, the most liked people in the world has to be the Chinese, sure they're a great bunch of lads :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose they were more of a help to the Allies in WW2 than they were to the Axis powers. Utter incompetence on their part in Greece, Yugoslavia and N. Africa led to the Germans having to delay Operation Barbarossa by 3 months which in the end proved fatal to its success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

RATM wrote: »
    Back on topic, the most liked people in the world has to be the Chinese, sure they're a great bunch of lads :pac:

Yeah because their Human rights record and Animal rights records are top notch-Skinning dogs alive to keep the fur as is tends to get many people to love you!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I suppose they were more of a help to the Allies in WW2 than they were to the Axis powers. Utter incompetence on their part in Greece, Yugoslavia and N. Africa led to the Germans having to delay Operation Barbarossa by 3 months which in the end proved fatal to its success.

That's pretty much it. Their blundering made them seem lovable while the Germans' clinical manner had he opposite effect. Hell, even nowadays people have a good old chuckle at wacky Italy and its all-pervasive corruption while there's widespread spite for Germany's fiscal maturity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

RATM wrote: »
    Australia engages in war just as readily as the US. Plenty of Aussie troops went to Iraq on false pretenses so I doubt they are well liked there. And they committed their fair share of atrocities during the Vietnam war so I'm doubting they're liked there either.

Kiwis find Aussies arrogant and boorish (the Aussies think Kiwis spend too much time with sheep), but tbh they weren't that bad I thought, an odd gob****e here and there. Re Iraq etc. the Aussie army do whatever the US tells it to, pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

Peru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jamaica, they're so happy and zany. Oh those Jamaicans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Britain

Especially England

What about Scotland? No one hates the Scots

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What about Scotland? No one hates the Scots

They just hate each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

dmcronin wrote: »

Like us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

No one mentioned germany?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The Dutch have a running joke that if a ship sinks or a plane crashes in the remote parts of the Amazon jungle a dutch person will be on it. A dutch friend of mine was in a very remote part of the Sahara desert and she bumped into two separate Dutch people. I suppose all that globetrotting makes people aware of the Dutch just like the fake Irish pub makes people aware of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tibet, not that anyone has been there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

I think the Irish have a fairly arrogant impression of themselves abroad.

The reality is that most countries don't even know where Ireland is, those that do automatically think we are the same as England. So that's a minus.

As for Canadians being the most loved, not even close, they get lumped in with the Americans. :pac:

Its easy, I would probably go with the Italians as the most loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

books4sale wrote: »
    I think the Irish have a fairly arrogant impression of themselves abroad.

The reality is that most countries don't even know where Ireland is, those that do automatically think we are the same as England. So that's a minus.

As for Canadians being the most loved, not even close, they get lumped in with the Americans. :pac:

Its easy, I would probably go with the Italians as the most loved.

I doubt theres many people who wouldnt know where Ireland is. Its shape is really well known, its a reasonably big island in the centre of the map of the world and its on the outskirts of europe. Even though its not that big its pretty noticeable on the map,well for its size it is.

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I doubt theres many people who wouldnt know where Ireland is. Its shape is really well known, its a reasonably big island in the centre of the map of the world and its on the outskirts of europe. Even though its not that big its pretty noticeable on the map,well for its size it is.

You would think. I'm pretty sure that a vast no. of people in Asia wouldn't know, unless they're from cities and/or have been reasonably well educated.
    I recall one (well-to-do) Egyptian seriously asking me if we were still part of Britain, i.e. the whole island.

As for 'reasonably big', pffft....

A fair percentage of Europeans, including British people, have no idea Ireland exists as a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

cant believe Lapland didnt get a mention, Santa and elves, whats not to love?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A fair percentage of Europeans, including British people, have no idea Ireland exists as a country.

I think that percentage has dropped like a brick since Ireland became more famous when it started competing in the Eurovision Debt Contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kingtubby

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Except the Chinese and Koreans, who really hate Japan for WWII.

Ya if you want to be the most loved nation in the world you really gotta get those Chinese on your side...

kingtubby wrote: »
    Ya if you want to be the most loved nation in the world you really gotta get those Chinese on your side...

They do make like quarter of the world population or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

If not a county. what else could Ireland be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Big difference between the "Most loved" and "Least hated".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lars1916 wrote: »
    If not a county. what else could Ireland be?

A country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

dmcronin wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Vatican City State

• Advertisement
Advertisement