Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which country in your opinion is the most loved globally?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

mikom wrote: »
    A country...

I should have gone to Specsavers :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lars1916 wrote: »
    If not a county. what else could Ireland be?

Part of Britain or the UK or Anglosaxonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Having lived in Australia for some time I reckon we are the only race they dont dislike, seemingly oblivious to the opinions many Irish have of them. In fact the ones who have travelled Europe are very interesting, friendly people, but the more insular ones who wouldnt know what a passport looks like, they are cringeworthy. Their relationship with New Zealand is one of more good natured sports banter than actual hatred, but alot of them have a horrid dislike for the Brits and Americans.

Must say I do like New Zealanders alot myself, most of them have an identical sense of humour to the Irish. Very friendly people, would give you their last penny (mind you then again having never been to NZ maybe that is the trait of the ones who travel, same as the more world wise Aussies). Aussies seem to have a tremendous jealously of them for whatever reason.
    Serious answer, probably Japan.

They have their weirdness but everyone seems to love the country... I'ld like to visit there someday myself.

No way. I dont know if it has any correlation with their predicalition for war crimes but Germany and Japan have, without a doubt, the worst proportion of outright weirdos of any races in the world. Not all of them obviously, but certainly a good 10%. The Finns are an odd tribe as well, death metal is seemingly the most popular genre there! Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Bray !!

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Part of Britain or the UK or Anglosaxonia.

Sounds like, running around with a Dublin jersey and being asked, from which part of the UK you are from :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 5 gold_bull

Having lived in Australia for some time I reckon we are the only race they dont dislike, seemingly oblivious to the opinions many Irish have of them. In fact the ones who have travelled Europe are very interesting, friendly people, but the more insular ones who wouldnt know what a passport looks like, they are cringeworthy. Their relationship with New Zealand is one of more good natured sports banter than actual hatred, but alot of them have a horrid dislike for the Brits and Americans.

Must say I do like New Zealanders alot myself, most of them have an identical sense of humour to the Irish. Very friendly people, would give you their last penny (mind you then again having never been to NZ maybe that is the trait of the ones who travel, same as the more world wise Aussies). Aussies seem to have a tremendous jealously of them for whatever reason.

No way. I dont know if it has any correlation with their predicalition for war crimes but Germany and Japan have, without a doubt, the worst proportion of outright weirdos of any races in the world. Not all of them obviously, but certainly a good 10%. The Finns are an odd tribe as well, death metal is seemingly the most popular genre there! Jesus.

i can only assume you heard that from a kiwi , trust me , australians are not remotely jealous of new zealanders , on the contary , new zealand has always been insecure towards its huge more important and much wealthier neighbour

never got the similaritys between irish people and kiwis either and as for them having a terrific sense of humour , i found them quite humourless , they are known for being dour , their quite like the scottish which is no surprise considering the huge scottish influence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

gold_bull wrote: »
    i can only assume you heard that from a kiwi , trust me , australians are not remotely jealous of new zealanders , on the contary , new zealand has always been insecure towards its huge more important and much wealthier neighbour

never got the similaritys between irish people and kiwis either and as for them having a terrific sense of humour , i found them quite humourless , they are known for being dour , their quite like the scottish which is no surprise considering the huge scottish influence

Well specifically it would be more the Maoris are like the Irish, Ive barely met any white NZers for any great deal of time in truth, though those Ive met were generally sound.

The jealously thing isnt something I heard, it is a personal observation. I think the Aussies are somewhat sore that the Kiwis are, quite simply, cooler people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure the ausies hate us.

the aussies hate everyone, including fellow aussies.... bunch of convicts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

dmcronin wrote: »
    You would think. I'm pretty sure that a vast no. of people in Asia wouldn't know, unless they're from cities and/or have been reasonably well educated.
    I recall one (well-to-do) Egyptian seriously asking me if we were still part of Britain, i.e. the whole island.

As for 'reasonably big', pffft....

It is reasonably big, its not tiny anyway...121st biggest country in the world out of 249 on this list..not bad really..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_dependencies_by_area
    Its our population and population density thats quite low, the country itself isnt that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Israel.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

Jamaica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I doubt theres many people who wouldnt know where Ireland is. Its shape is really well known, its a reasonably big island in the centre of the map of the world and its on the outskirts of europe. Even though its not that big its pretty noticeable on the map,well for its size it is.

Yea what map is this??

From my own experience living in Canada and America majority of people think Ireland is part of Britain anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Lechinstein or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

When I first saw this thread I expected it to be a load of people saying how people don't really like Ireland as much as we like to think they do. And at first I considered it's probably quite an arrogant thing to think about ourselves: that we're the most loved.

Yet, the more I think about it, the more I think Ireland might really be the most loved country. We don't have any history of aggression in a major war, no negative imperial history, we have a huge diaspora and I really think there is a sort of belief in Irish people just being generally a sound bunch. With the ubiquity of Irish pubs world over we also have a pretty global presence.

A lot of the countries mentioned, like Japan, are surely despised so much by certain countries that they would surely be ruled out? The only other country I can think of is Canada, and you never really hear anything about Canada at all.

Trying to be as unbiased as possible, I really think I would choose Ireland as the most loved country.

(actually, the whole concept is ridiculous when you think about enough!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Thread is ridiculous. A bunch of white northern Europeans talking about other white countries, or places we only know through the telly.

If we were in Lesotho we'd probably be going on about how much everyone loves us abroad.

*poster admits she knows nothing about Lesotho except one of her geography teachers took a year out there once*

God... wrote: »
    Yea what map is this??

From my own experience living in Canada and America majority of people think Ireland is part of Britain anyway.

Any old map theyre all the same, ireland and britain are pretty much at the centre of world maps. Anyway theyre just americans...I know the american stupidity is just a steroetype but ive talked to plenty of americans from all parts of the country and theyve asked me questions about ireland, and some of the questions they asked were just ridiculous! They think were all living in the stone age over here and seem to think the usa is the only somehwat civilised country on the planet..They also think all irish people have the same accent ,infact they think everybody across the british isles have the same accents, be it cork,dublin,kerry,northern,scottish,liverpool,welsh,london accents whatever they say we all sound the same to them:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Any old map theyre all the same, ireland and britain are pretty much at the centre of world maps. Anyway theyre just americans...I know the american stupidity is just a steroetype but ive talked to plenty of americans from all parts of the country and theyve asked me questions about ireland, and some of the questions they asked were just ridiculous! They think were all living in the stone age over here and seem to think the usa is the only somehwat civilised country on the planet..They also think all irish people have the same accent ,infact they think everybody across the british isles have the same accents, be it cork,dublin,kerry,northern,scottish,liverpool,welsh,london accents whatever they say we all sound the same to them:eek:

Well they all sound the same to us...
    You have the NY accent, Californian accent and the Red Neck accent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Haven't seen anyone mention any Scandinavian countries?

The Danish are lovely people and how could you hate the Swedes?!

And to people that think Ireland is known by everyone; I remember being delayed at the China-Vietnam border as a Chinese border official scanned the world map for Ireland. No, I thought, you won't find us off the coast of Chile, as he scanned South America.

Any old map theyre all the same, ireland and britain are pretty much at the centre of world maps.

Only the ones centred on Greenwich which are predominant over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

cashback wrote: »
    Haven't seen anyone mention any Scandinavian countries?

The Danish are lovely people and how could you hate the Swedes?!

And to people that think Ireland is known by everyone; I remember being delayed at the China-Vietnam border as a Chinese border official scanned the world map for Ireland. No, I thought, you won't find us off the coast of Chile, as he scanned South America.

In fairness, a guy stationed on the China Vietnam border probably didn't do honours geography

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Paparazzo wrote: »
    In fairness, a guy stationed on the China Vietnam border probably didn't do honours geography

Yeah, exactly. Why would he have any clue where we are? Just because we're in the centre of certain world maps means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Most beloved country? With the most amount of goodwill displayed towards it and it's people?

I don't think many countries are beloved in the first place. I don't think it's Ireland any way. Within our cultural and geographic region we're quite well known of but not well known. We do have a reputation within that region, one that is fairly romantic and a bit misinformed. We are odd any way. How we socialize is very different from other countries, we expect to have 'the craic' amongst ourselves and when we met foreigners we continue on that accepted social procedure so that may be why we are liked any way as we engage people.

As I said few countries are beloved. America is actually quite well liked among people who have actually been and have actually met a few Americans and don't base their opinions on superficial and cerebrally exhaustive stereotypes but rather at this stage a soft and accepted form of xenophobia.

I'd have to say that France is quite well liked for a host of reasons and very well known. French itself is seen as a cultured language, and France is seen as a place of culture or more accurately a romantic culture.

Well they all sound the same to us...
    You have the NY accent, Californian accent and the Red Neck accent...

All the americans Ive talked to think that they all sound the same..and I said to them but you have the new york,new jersey,texas,cali accents etc but all of the ones ive talked to just think that americans all sound the same..i dunno..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Scotland - for the beautiful landscapes, and Irn Bru
    Brazil - for the women, nightlife and variety of the country
    Holland - for the Dutch laid back attitude to life (generally speaking)
    Canada - for the quality of life overall

and... Norn Iron :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

Yea what map is this??

Sure most Americans think Britain is just an island somewhere to the east of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

biko wrote: »

On topic, everyone loves Spain.

I absolutely can't stand it. I don't like the laziness and slow paced nature of the place, also the language sounds offensive :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

juan.kerr wrote: »
    who haven't ever been the aggressors in a major conflict so maybe somewhere like Finland?

Read up on Finland in WW2.

Oh yeah, Finland was the real aggressor against the USSR...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

alphasully wrote: »
    Yea what map is this??

Sure most Americans think Britain is just an island somewhere to the east of Ireland

As Jimeoin said "I was born on an island off the coast of Ireland....

called England"

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Peetrik wrote: »
    I think English people think they are loved worldwide too

Really? I've never met too many who think they are well liked around the world to be honest. They were once big and powerful, made plenty of enemies and I think most know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

I doubt theres many people who wouldnt know where Ireland is. .

:pac: You need to get out and around the planet more there.

Try Asia for a start, if I had a quid for every time I had to explain what and where Ireland is.......sometimes I get asked do I speak english FFS.

I don't understand where this whole love for the Scots is coming from, no more than ourselves they are for the most part ignorant and miserable, more so than us.

As for the Scandanavians, well the Danes aren't the most popular in the Middle East these days and the Norwegians have been causing trouble all round the globe with their oil companies.

So yeah, reckon i'll stick with the Italians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Thread is ridiculous. A bunch of white northern Europeans talking about other white countries, or places we only know through the telly.

If we were in Lesotho we'd probably be going on about how much everyone loves us abroad.

*poster admits she knows nothing about Lesotho except one of her geography teachers took a year out there once*

Hmmm, I dunno. Ireland is on to a winner from the get-go by comparison with lesotho; we speak english as our first language. this means that we are instantly accessible via the 'international' language, making our culture more easily digestible.

Also, given our relative wealth, we as a nation can engage enthusiastically with consumerism and celebrity on an international level, which of course breeds media interest and attention and has allowed us to export our culture and personality in a manner digestible to other nations with money.

as mentioned previously, the diaspora is an important factor in cementing irelands visibility in international consciousness.

previous posters had mentioned france as being the most loved nation in the world. i think that's incredibly difficult to swallow, given that they are (unfortunately) stereotyped as being arrogant. most visited country in the world , maybe, but favourite nation, which presumably is synonymous with best loved people??? absolutely no frikkin way!!

i think maybe the usa, as i am sure there are billions of people around the globe who dream of being able to live and work there who maybe suffer extreme hardship and live in abject poverty, but are exposed, even occassionally , to the influence of american popular culture and the promise of a more comfortable life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

China, cos they're a great bunch of lads!

previous posters had mentioned france as being the most loved nation in the world. i think that's incredibly difficult to swallow, given that they are (unfortunately) stereotyped as being arrogant. most visited country in the world , maybe, but favourite nation, which presumably is synonymous with best loved people??? absolutely no frikkin way!!

No, previous posters mentioned France as the most loved country in the world (re: the thead title), which it is, as that's where more travellers choose to spend their holidays than any other country. The people are a separate issue, as clearly stated. You use the first criteria yourself in selecting the USA, so I'm not sure how you're getting confused.

No, previous posters mentioned France as the most loved country in the world (re: the thead title), which it is, as that's where more travellers choose to spend their holidays than any other country. The people are a separate issue, as clearly stated. You use the first criteria yourself in selecting the USA, so I'm not sure how you're getting confused.

in the op is included the line

"Maybe Australia or New Zealand, again neither engage much in world affairs and those countries and their people seem to be generally very nice and well liked."

This suggests to me that the op did not intend for the issues of a nation and her people to be considered separately, but together.

regarding my choice of the united states of america, you are quite right in the sense that i did not select that country based on the esteem in which her people are held globally, but i also never said that this alone should be the only criteria on which my choice would be made, nor did the op proscribe such criteria.

i simply hypothesise that there are more people globally who love the idea of a life in america and embracing all her culture and the freedoms associated then there are people who can afford to, and subsequently choose to, holiday in france

apologies in advance, but i seem to have overlooked the bit where it was "clearly stated" that the people were a separate issue (and i DON'T mean that to be construed in a smarty-pants way) :)

in the op is included the line

"Maybe Australia or New Zealand, again neither engage much in world affairs and those countries and their people seem to be generally very nice and well liked."

This suggests to me that the op did not intend for the issues of a nation and her people to be considered separately, but together.

regarding my choice of the united states of america, you are quite right in the sense that i did not select that country based on the esteem in which her people are held globally, but i also never said that this alone should be the only criteria on which my choice would be made, nor did the op proscribe such criteria.

i simply hypothesise that there are more people globally who love the idea of a life in america and embracing all her culture and the freedoms associated then there are people who can afford to, and subsequently choose to, holiday in france
    I kind of meant more the people in the countries than the actual countries really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

A fair percentage of Europeans, including British people, have no idea Ireland exists as a country.

Fair percentage of Irish and British are not aware that Holland isn't a country either.

Fair percentage of Irish and British are not aware that Holland isn't a country either.

Isnt Holland just the wrong name for the netherlands? Like calling ireland leinster or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Isnt Holland just the wrong name for the netherlands? Like calling ireland leinster or something..

Yeah, Holland is only really the West part of the Netherlands so like you said calling a country by one of its provinces. Not even the sports commentators can get that right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Everyone loves China

• Advertisement

Yeah, Holland is only really the West part of the Netherlands so like you said calling a country by one of its provinces. Not even the sports commentators can get that right.

The Dutch themselves all refer to the team as Holland, even those in the southernmost provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Botswana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

books4sale wrote: »
    I think the Irish have a fairly arrogant impression of themselves abroad.

The reality is that most countries don't even know where Ireland is, those that do automatically think we are the same as England. So that's a minus.

As for Canadians being the most loved, not even close, they get lumped in with the Americans. :pac:

Its easy, I would probably go with the Italians as the most loved.

A friend of mine lives below some Italians and those ones certainly are not loved, especially if you're trying to sleep off your hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Everyone loves China
    I don't. Human rights aren't worth **** over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

books4sale wrote: »
    :pac: You need to get out and around the planet more there.

Try Asia for a start, if I had a quid for every time I had to explain what and where Ireland is.......sometimes I get asked do I speak english FFS.

I don't understand where this whole love for the Scots is coming from, no more than ourselves they are for the most part ignorant and miserable, more so than us.

As for the Scandanavians, well the Danes aren't the most popular in the Middle East these days and the Norwegians have been causing trouble all round the globe with their oil companies.

So yeah, reckon i'll stick with the Italians.

Norway only have one oilcompany,its called Statoil,and have a rather clean record compared to many others,so i dont know where you got them facts from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

For some reason; right now it's probably us

Most of the comments on that vid are from non-Irish telling us how epic we are! =p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Nothing beats the Italians. Warmest weather & people in the world. Not bad scenery either.

Advertisement