Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Up The Duff" Flag Removed - May Be Offensive to Non-Nationals.

• 10-06-2012 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is utter madness.. :eek::mad::(
    Coombe bosses strike Duff note

It was the poster which had even the sternest maternity matron at The Coombe hospital cracking a secret smile: an image of footballer Damien Duff’s face with the words ‘The Girls from the Coombe, Up The Duff’ on a tricolour background.
    But now the witty image has been taken down from the walls of the famous Dublin maternity hospital on the orders of ­management.
    And it has even been claimed that the poster was removed because it might offend non-nationals.

article-0-1388831E000005DC-395_468x592.jpg
    From here to maternity: The offending poster in the Coombe

The image had already been widely circulated on the internet before it was taken down on Friday.
    ‘Up the Duff’ is Dublin slang for being pregnant.
    A visitor to the hospital who had captured the poster on their camera phone used social networking site Broadsheet.ie to report that it had been taken down. The person, calling themselves ‘ProudToBeIrish’ said: ‘Recently spotted this in the Coombe along with other Irish flags etc and cheered me up.
    ‘Returned another day and noticed it was all gone. Being nosey, I asked why.
    ‘Apparently higher-ups in the hospital made them take it down in case it offended non-Irish patients!
    ‘I for one am now a very offended Irish person. Political correctness gone more than mad. Shame!’
    A hospital spokesman said: ‘It was up for a short while and it was reported. It was taken down after management asked for it to be removed. It was only up for a few hours and it was only one poster.’

I'll bet that's just one person on a power trip, with no sense pride during the Euro's.. that made them take it down.

LINK HALFWAY DOWN THE PAGE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

May offend non-nationals. Putting that aside, while it is witty I can see how it could offend some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

A visitor to the hospital who had captured the poster on their camera phone used social networking site Broadsheet.ie to report that it had been taken down. The person, calling themselves ‘ProudToBeIrish’ said: ‘Recently spotted this in the Coombe along with other Irish flags etc and cheered me up.
    ‘Returned another day and noticed it was all gone. Being nosey, I asked why.
    ‘Apparently higher-ups in the hospital made them take it down in case it offended non-Irish patients!

It's great to see the papers maintaining their credibility in the age of the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Claimed by who? Sounds like the daily mail made that up.

Another matter, I have to say I love the term non-nationals. The only group of people you might refer as non nationals might be the likes of Basques, Catalans, Kurds and maybe anarchists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Reminds me of the crib in St James' hospital
    It was just brought in from the chapel to the foyer for some carol singing and then moved back to the chapel again.

Story went out that Muslim nurses objected to the crib and management removed it

Nonsense, just a made up story

I'm guessing this is the same
    Nobody objected
    And this "hospital spokesman" doesn't have a name. It's made up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Newspapers....... yesterdays lies...today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Why might it be offensive to 'non-nationals'? Or anyone?
    I'm honestly asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Do people even take notice of all these little posters in hospitals to get offended by them?!

The guy in the third pic, Colin Murphy
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/09/article-0-13888327000005DC-556_468x545.jpg

Is he wearing a Meath GAA jersey to an international football match? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

It sure is a wonderful world we are creating, where it is better to offend the majority than chance offending a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

How exactly would it be offensive to non nationals ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Why might it be offensive to 'non-nationals'? Or anyone?I'm honestly asking.

Haven't quite figured any angle why it would be any more offensive to non-nationals than anybody else.
    Do people even take notice of all these little posters in hospitals to get offended by them?!

You'd be suprised, there are plenty of people out there who will deliberately look for things to moan about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The guy in the third pic, Colin Murphy
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/06/09/article-0-13888327000005DC-556_468x545.jpg

Is he wearing a Meath GAA jersey to an international football match? :confused:

No its an old school O'Neills Ireland jersey
    http://www.oneills.com/review/product/list/id/10122/category/384/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

prinz wrote: »
    Haven't quite figured any angle why it would be any more offensive to non-nationals than anybody else.
    But I don't get it at all! Is it because of the term 'up the duff'? Is that offensive? Or is an Irish flag and Irish slang offensive to non-nationals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Why might it be offensive to 'non-nationals'? Or anyone?
    I'm honestly asking.

Me too, and I'm foreign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

As a non-national, I'm offended by the implication of the poster offending me (or something). Put the damn thing back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

May offend non-nationals. Putting that aside, while it is witty I can see how it could offend some people.

Changed title to be more accurate, but i honestly can't see how anyone would be offended..:confused:

"Up the duff".. Where does the origin of that phrase come from, is that the offensive bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

In the interest of balance, they should just have more posters instead of less:
    The girls from the Coombe love their Schildenfeld!

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Could it be the Coombe part which is offensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Another matter, I have to say I love the term non-nationals. The only group of people you might refer as non nationals might be the likes of Basques, Catalans, Kurds and maybe anarchists.

Always hated that term to describe foreigners living in Ireland. They have nationalities - Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Czech, Rumanian, Russian, Nigerian etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So if up the Duff is offensive, is up the Becks, up the Heino or up the Carlsberg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It’s now very common to hear people say, ‘I’m rather offended by that.’ As if that gives them certain rights; it’s actually nothing more… It’s simply a whine. It’s no more than a whine. ‘I find that offensive,’ it has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. ‘I am offended by that.’ Well so ****ing what?”
    Stephen Fry

Btw, the fault looks to be entirely with the hospital that removed the thing, not non-nationals that didn't even get a vote in the matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How the hell is it offensive to none nationals? Plus Up The Duff is not just said in Dublin, I've heard it all over Ireland and in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm an uptight biddy with no friends and hate to see other people enjoying themselves and seeing as I've been left out of this joke I'm going to make everyone else suffer. It may offend non-nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The daily mail readers identify with the expression so it was the one used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Sure it's only papering over the cracks...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Augmerson wrote: »
    Always hated that term to describe foreigners living in Ireland. They have nationalities - Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Czech, Rumanian, Russian, Nigerian etc

Another moronically patronizing term is 'the new Irish'. If I have to take up a job in Germany am I a 'new German'? Am I fock. The media establishment are forever thinking up new ways not to say the word foreigner in case we get alarmed, after all we're all just 'Europeans' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Allyall wrote: »
    Changed title to be more accurate, but i honestly can't see how anyone would be offended..:confused:

"Up the duff".. Where does the origin of that phrase come from, is that the offensive bit?

A wee google tells me the phrase originated in Australia and is something to do with puddings...offensive basterds.!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I doubt any non nationals complained. Probably some jobsworth with nothing better to do. Of course the Mail make it look like there were complaints which just gives idiots another reason to have a go at foreigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'd hazard a guess this is exactly what is happening. One person claims this to be the reason and that is then reported by the tabloid in the hopes of riling up the knuckle draggers, that person who is the 'source' of the unfounded guesswork of course glad to back up their claim for a few hundred euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

It's offensive cuz well lets face it the duffer is as ugly as a bulldog chewing a wasp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The Daily Mail completely made up that it was removed due to complaints from non nationals. There is absolutely no suggestion from The Coombe hospital that this is the reason the poster was removed.

It was removed on orders from the hospital board. It is a cheeky poster and not really suitable and appropriate for a professional hospital environment.

What a disgusting little rag of a paper the daily Mail is. Completely making up lies to push their racist agenda.

panda100 wrote: »
    What a disgusting little rag of a paper the daily Mail is. Completely making up lies to push their racist agenda.

The Daily Mail isn't racist ;)

They hate everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

panda100 wrote: »
    It was removed on orders from the hospital board. It is a cheeky poster and not really suitable and appropriate for a professional hospital environment.

That's the only reason I can see too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

LordSmeg wrote: »
    How exactly would it be offensive to non nationals ?

the same way the crib at christmas is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

From Wikipedia:

The national flag should never be defaced by placing slogans, logos, lettering or pictures of any kind on it, for example at sporting events.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

It's offensive cuz well lets face it the duffer is as ugly as a bulldog chewing a wasp
    :pac: your dead right
    plus is he ginger or blonde?every time i see him his colour changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Yeah it sounds made up to me. If the flag is no longer there it could be because someone brought it out to Poland or it may well have been stolen

There were lots of photos of it going around so someone probably nabbed it

Trust the daily mail to,try and rile people. I've always presumed hospital management and administration would be quite slow to action anything so I can't imagine they'd suddenly do that on the off chance it might offend someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the same way the crib at christmas is.

The whole crib at Christmas thing is a complete joke. Maybe somewhere there are a tiny minortity of,people who complain but I really don't think it is a common complaint of non-Irish, non-Christian people

Previously when I visited Oman they had cribs and nativity scenes there ... I presume to acknowledge the 3 wise men were from there

Anyway it just seems like certain newspapers have a few of these stories which they run on repeat.
    At some point soon there will be another story about swans being eaten
    Then some other example of 'pc gone mad'. Until I hear it from a reliable source or someone who actually works there I'm not buying into it

If a newspaper has a a direct quote and gives the persons name and job title then there's a good chance it's true

But when the rags quote a "source" it's most likely a pack of lies that the journalist invented to stir it up
    The Evening Herald are especially fond of their "sources"

Advertisement