Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Height Requirement

• 10-06-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi all
    Just want to draw attention to some thing i notice for the last while.
    The height of some of the new garda members is a joke i think.
    During my life time, i would see most guards towering down on top of
    u

These guards i see must be the last batch to pass out. If thats the best An Garda Siochana can come up with i fear for my life.
    The only thing that protecting them is the uniform.

In the times that we have now, less law and order in the streets, crime is becoming more violent. I think u need members of big build to show to show authority. Brains is definately coming first, thats fine if ur sitting behind a desk, but when ur presented with a violent situation on the street, i would like to see a couple of big burly guards coming to my rescue. Love to hear some of er views Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Being tall isn't the be all, end all. Some of the hardest fcukers I know of are 5'6-5'9 and stocky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Blay wrote: »
    Being tall isn't the be all, end all. Some of the hardest fcukers I know of are 5'6-5'9 and stocky.

Very true.. in fact most of the guys i know that are say average or lower height are tough ****ers..

Even on the rugby team, some of the smallest fellas get milled over and get straight back up.

Anyway they replaced the Height requirement with a much tougher Physical exam. Id rather that than a soft tall guy who looks like he could cause more damage that he actually could.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Blay wrote: »

So true! my uncle and best friend are gardai one is 5ft 8 the other is 5ft 6. both guys weight about 80kg, both very tough guys who have a reputation for zero tolerance policing. both body build and look very intimidating in uniform to me, one looks like his shirt is gonna burst. I would rather have them come if I ever needed assistance then some long legged soft jawed 6 footer. Not knocking tall member's of ags but just trying to say that height is not everything and it certainly doesn't make you a better Garda! "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

While on the matter, what height was the height restriction set at when it was in use and when was it done away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The height restriction was 5'9" for men and 5'4" for women, it was abolished in 2001.

• Advertisement

mmcn90 wrote: »
    The height restriction was 5'9" for men and 5'4" for women, it was abolished in 2001.

Really someone told me that it was 5'11''-6'. 5'9'' isn't that tall, well below average I would say especially for young men (18-30).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

CIGANO wrote: »
    Really someone told me that it was 5'11''-6'. 5'9'' isn't that tall, well below average I would say especially for young men (18-30).

Average height for men in Ireland is about 5'9"/5'10"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I thought 5'11" as well, but google told me otherwise.

Average height for men in Ireland is about 5'9"/5'10"

That might have been the case before but I would bet the average height of a man under 30 in Ireland would have risen to at least to 5'11'' due to better nutrition over the last generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

That might have been the case before but I would bet the average height of a man under 30 in Ireland would have risen to at least to 5'11'' due to better nutrition over the last generation.

No if we had an average of 5'11" we'd be among the tallest in the world
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world

• Advertisement
Advertisement