Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False converse example?

• 10-06-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I think this was already asked but can't find the thread.
    Can someone help me out?
    A simple enough one to remember.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I assume you mean you want a statement that's true but the converse of which is false.

Simple one: if x is greater than 3, then x must be greater than 2.

(The converse of it is: "if x is greater than 2, then x must be greater than 3".which is false)

Do you want a geometry one? "If a triangle is equilateral, then it is isosceles".
    "If a quadrialteral is a square, then it is a rectangle".

You can make them up easily enough, if you start thinking about different shapes and their properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

What's this for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

All squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares.

What's this for?

One of the words that you're supposed to know the meaning of is "converse". To find out whether you know what that means, on one of the papers, they asked you to write down a statement that was true but for which the converse was false. Question 6A on this paper: http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P2_Ordinary_Level.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Booom!

I assume you mean you want a statement that's true but the converse of which is false.

(The converse of it is: "if x is greater than 2, then x must be greater than 3".which is false)

Do you want a geometry one? "If a triangle is equilateral, then it is isosceles".

You can make them up easily enough, if you start thinking about different shapes and their properties.

Im sure he's looking for an example of a theorem with an untrue converse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

One of the words that you're supposed to know the meaning of is "converse". To find out whether you know what that means, on one of the papers, they asked you to write down a statement that was true but for which the converse was false. Question 6A on this paper: http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P2_Ordinary_Level.pdf

I thought I was reading for P2 then I saw that link :o

Would you mind providing one for a "corollory"?

Would, "3 angles in a triangle = 180 degrees" be an example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Fergus_ wrote: »

A corrolary would be

Theorem: The angle at the centre is twice the measure of any angle standing on the same arc

Corrolary: the angle subtended by the diameter (180) is a right angle.(90)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Fergus_ wrote: »

No that's a theorem I believe.

Say an angle on a line is 180 deg.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    A corrolary would be

Theorem: The angle at the centre is twice the measure of any angle standing on the same arc

Corrolary: the angle subtended by the diameter (180) is a right angle.(90)

Thank you! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Eathrin wrote: »
    No that's a theorem I believe.

Say an angle on a line is 180 deg.

But that would be an axiom would it not be? It's not derived from any theorem is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

But that would be an axiom would it not be? It's not derived from any theorem is it?

I was thinking the same thing, I'm pretty sure it is an axiom...

Booom! wrote: »

Well all of those things I mentioned are theorems whose converses are false, (bearing in mind that a theorem is simply a mathematical statement than can be proven.)

If you want an actual statement of a result that's listed on the LC geometry course, and whose converse is false, see Remarks 1 and 2 on page 52 of the syllabus, along with the surrounding text: http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/LC_Maths_for_examination_in_2012.pdf. (Also, Remark 6 on page 60).

Yes, the statement that a straight angle is 180 degrees is an axiom. It's axiom 3 on page 40 of the syllabus: http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/LC_Maths_for_examination_in_2012.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Booom! wrote: »

*She
    Jesus, second time that's happened now. :L

Thanks for all your help, but Iv'e given up all hope of paper 2. I am prepared to now fail. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

You all seem to be mixing up the meanings of several terms:

Axioms:statements we accept to be true without further proof. We later use these to prove theorems.
    Example:
    there are 180 degrees in a straight line,
    Distance cannot be negative

Theorems: statements we prove to be true (often using axioms or previously proved theorems)
    Examples: the three angles in a triangle add to 180
    The exterior angle of a triangle is equal to the sum of the remote interior angles

Corrollory: a statement that follows obviously from a theorem. (sort of an accidental theorem if you will. Proving the theorem automatically proves the corollary
    Example: the angle standing on a diameter is 90 degrees. (this is because the diameter angle is 180 and the theorem proves the able standing on that arc must be half it ie 90 degrees)

Converse: the reverse of a statement.

It has nothing to do with any of the above except that tHe converse of theorems/axioms/corrollarys tend to be mathematically interesting. sometimes reversing a theorem or a geometry statement can give a false converse or a sentence that makes no sense, sometimes it's true. In the exam paper question they were simply testing could you construct the converse of a statement accurately.

Advertisement