Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Core Armoured Cable

Options
  • 10-06-2012 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

There is a 5 core armoured cable outside our house. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question by how many seperate things can I power with a 5 core cable e.g. can I power electric gate opener, a run of lights and an outdoor socket? I guess one cable is for earth?

The cable runs back to a light switch so can they be switched if required and left permently powered on if required e.g. with electric gates?

Not sure how this works,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks

Comments

depends on the size of the cable. (physical cross sectional area)
    if its going to a light switch its prob 1.5 square mm
    and will be fused at 10amps
    so while not an ideal set up you could power several things,
    sockets,gates on lightning circuit is not recommended.
    especially sockets as lights probably wont have rcd protection.
    outside lights on inside circuits is a pain coz if they give trouble your house lights will start tripping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

urbanledge wrote: »
    depends on the size of the cable. (physical cross sectional area)
    if its going to a light switch its prob 1.5 square mm
    and will be fused at 10amps
    so while not an ideal set up you could power several things,
    sockets,gates on lightning circuit is not recommended.
    especially sockets as lights probably wont have rcd protection.
    outside lights on inside circuits is a pain coz if they give trouble your house lights will start tripping.

As cable goes back to light switch - so does this mean i will be powering electric gates from lighting circuit? Is this feasible? Thanks

As cable goes back to light switch - so does this mean i will be powering electric gates from lighting circuit? Is this feasible? Thanks

yeah thats right and it is feasible but not ideal,(provided you have a neutral at the switch)
    Electric gates draw very little current.
    If your not sure get a sparks to look at it,
    where you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭brinks_18476

urbanledge wrote: »
    yeah thats right and it is feasible but not ideal,(provided you have a neutral at the switch)
    Electric gates draw very little current.
    If your not sure get a sparks to look at it,
    where you based?

Thanks for help.

Advertisement