Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make the CT forum Members only

Options
  • 10-06-2012 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Is this difficult to implement?

The CT forum for obvious reasons attract a lot of spammers and trolls but there are can be a lot of discussions there that get ruined.

Atleast if there was a subforum made for members, that would be desirable.

So far, every thread ends up in bans/arguments between people posting..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

superluck wrote: »

The CT forum for obvious reasons attract a lot of spammers and trolls but there are can be a lot of discussions there that get ruined.

There's a Feedback thread in the CT forum. It might be best to take it up there, lest this thread go the way of most of those in CT =p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Commuting and Transport? Computers and Technology? Ah! Conspiracy Theories!

Could we have first mention in a thread of a Forum should be spelled out rather than initials? With the possible exception of AH which I think everyone knows. Except maybe newcomers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You want to make Conspiracy Theories private? Oh the irony :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Welcome to the internet. It would be a shít place to be if we all just agreed with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Welcome to the internet. It would be a shít place to be if we all just agreed with each other.

Speak for yourself.

Who doesn't love an echo chamber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Speak for yourself.

Who doesn't love an echo chamber?
    I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

I asked a certain Mod for access to Ranting & Raving 5 months ago and never got a reply.

Poor me.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I asked a certain Mod for access to Ranting & Raving 5 months ago and never got a reply.

Poor me.:(
    Ask a different one. dr.bollocko, Handsome Bob, keefg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

Believe it or not the CT forum does have proper discussions about many political issues which can ...let's say upset some emotionally unstable people, mainly those who support terrorist states like Israel and America who murder people overseas for profit.

Unfortunately the forum attracts many sanctimonious morons who know little about anything generally. Some of the people "taking the piss" can't even spell properly or string a coherent sentence together when making their sh!t jokes but then this is the land of the illiterate.

There's a select few that visit the forum every single day to tell us all how the world works and since I suspect this is a medical condition they are suffering and asked them to seek professional help for this disturbing behaviour, I was banned for personal abuse.

So what's the problem? If everyone in the CT forum are nuts, just close it off to members only like it's a hospital for mentally ill.

Is that not the general consensus anyway, that everyone in the CT forum are crazy and they need to be reminded by judge mental people?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The point of CT always being public where people of both sides of the debate can discuss the topics is because, if someone thinks a certain Conspiracy Theory is true, but someone else has links or evidence which shows otherwise, well that's surely in the best interests of everyone. If the forum was private and only Theorists were allowed to post in there (disregarding the fact that some people believe in a lot of CTs, some people only believe in some, and some people might only believe in one or two CTs and disagree with the rest, which means determining "membership" for the private forum would be nigh-on impossible), then both sides of the discussion won't be presented.

If people are overstepping the line and mocking theorists or trolling, report their posts and let the mods deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Orion wrote: »
    You want to make Conspiracy Theories private? Oh the irony :pac:

I believe he/she would prefer the conspiracy theories forum private out of neccessity due to constant trolling and hostility.

To understand the OP you need to understand that there are 2 (and a half) types of people who are attracted to the forum 1) People who want to discuss conspiracy theories 2) Skeptics:People who enjoy ridiculing "people who want to discuss conspiracy theories" as they seem personally offended by their existence and see themselves as self-appointed guardians of logic and rationality. 2 1/2) Normal people.

In every other forum - Politics, Economics, English Literature, for examples - you can have sides to the debate: Politics: Liberal vs Conservative. Economics: Austrian School vs Keynsenianism. English Lit: Shakespeare vs Alighieri (or whatever). In all these cases debate is encouraged. This debate is not possible in conspiracy theories as the "People who want to discuss conspiracy theories" never actually get a chance to interact with each other because as soons as they open there mouths they are maligned and ridiculed.

Sticking with the prior examples if there was a determined group of posters who were anti-politics, anti-economics, anti-English Literature and there was a constant undertone of hostility towards people who are trying to discuss Economics etc would it be allowed?

For example these are comments made by skeptics from the first couple of threads alone in the conspiracy theories forum against "conspiracy theory nutters":

Absurdity
    vile mistruth
    swallowed it unthinkingly
    and this on a thread on incredibly over active pareidolia
    has the internet just given every jackass with an opinion the ability to shout it louder and at more people than would previously be possible?

abject dishonesty
    dishonest representation
    dishonest and manipulative
    tasteless propaganda
    deceitful claims
    Maybe the CIA deleted your post - who knows in this crazy fantasy world?

why you have to lie and distort
    blatantly distorting
    dishonest
    spewing out the propaganda
    ridiculous
    distorting facts and making nonsense predictions
    Ignorance is bliss.
    Can you point out some of these other gestures from previous years. I'm bored and could do with a laugh
    shadowy bad guys
    You really don't have a clue
    pathetic insinuation
    rambling
    incoherent analysis
    meaningless torrent of whine
    I know, everyone but me has gone ****ing nuts.
    proselytize elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

For example these are comments made by skeptics from the first couple of threads alone in the conspiracy theories forum against "conspiracy theory nutters":
    Just to add a little context to some of these quotes as a few are mine:
    vile mistruth
    Was referring to the very racist and very untrue myth that no Israeli or Jewish person died in 9/11.
    swallowed it unthinkingly
    Was my expressing the fact that since a poster refused and/or was unable to point out the reasons why they believed something, after repeated requests to explain and elaborate such, made it look like they had in fact swallowed it unthinkingly.
    spewing out the propaganda
    tasteless propaganda
    Is probably referring to the scaremongering photoshopped pictures that Run to Da Hills posts in lieu of discussion.

Please give some context to the quotes and please do not ignore the posts that you can't complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In the interest of fairness, the pro-conspiracy side are just as bad.

Maybe if everyone on the forum decided to be polite instead of insulting other people then claiming that they themselves are the victims, the forum would be a happier place to be.

What would be the requirements for a private forum? Do you have to believe all conspiracies? Can you believe one and argue against others? Or do you just have to let everyone say pro-conspiracy things and bite your tongue when you disagree? Would a blog not be better, in that case? And who decides who gains entry?

A private forum would risk ending up being nothing but a repository for random links. There won't be discussion beyond "Good post, here's another link", if all counter discussion is banned.

If someone is breaching the charter, report them. If they're not breaching the charter but annoying you, then ignore them. You're all adults so there's no reason to resort to childish bickering and name-calling. Just move on.

King Mob wrote: »
    Just to add a little context to some of these quotes as a few are mine:

I didn't want to point the finger but since you've put yourself forward here is page one of your posts in conspiracy theories.
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?sort=newest&f=576&u=68949

I've taken from the first couple of posts that weren't too long and publish them here in full (one is a section). Now tell me, which of the following of your posts are productive and contribute to friendly and health debate amongst the conspiracy theory communuty on boards.ie?

Patronising.
    So the shadowy bad guys both did nothing to stop the riots and let them happen.... but also made them happen?

Kinda hedging your bets there...
    Singling a user out for abuse. Patronising.
    Only if you really really want them to look like something, ignore the bits that don't fit and completely ignore a plot hole like a small gaming company being involved in the global conspiracy, then printing that fact on their obscure card game.
    Basically like all the crap RtdH posts really.

Taking the piss.
    Oh, didn't you know that Steve Jackson Games is part of the conspiracy?
    Abusive. Patronising.
    You are dishonest because you are avoiding questions and are using dishonest tactics such as strawmen, appeals to authority and appeals to emotion.
    You are hypocritical because you claim to want to spread understanding about the issue, but refuse to answer questions about it in an honest coherent way and are expecting people to buy what you claim using evidence and arguments that you would not accept.
    Aggressive, insulting and patronising.
    Instead of advertising for this guy is there any chance you'll answer some of the points you're avoiding?
    Or maybe explain why our points about people honestly believing patently silly and untrue things about themselves aren't relevant?
    Why do some people believe they are abducted by aliens?
    Why do you not believe their claims when they are exactly as supported as the claims of targeted individuals?
    Why should we bother listening to these guys when you are unable to address simple questions honestly?
    Again aggressive and patronising.
    Again, you're telling people to listen to these people but refuse to explain why they should.
    I've asked you repeatedly to explain what these guys provided to make their stories different to the thousands of other examples you agree are indistinguishable from people being mentally ill.

So far the only thing you've provided is an argument from authority and that you've just swallowed their stories uncritically.

Patronising.

Singling a user out for abuse. Patronising.
    Taking the piss.

Abusive. Patronising.

Aggressive, insulting and patronising.

Again aggressive and patronising.

[/COLOR]

And aside from the bolded one, which I got a warning for, which of those where breaching the charter?

Please actually post what I post in context.

humanji wrote: »
    In the interest of fairness, the pro-conspiracy side are just as bad.

Maybe if everyone on the forum decided to be polite instead of insulting other people then claiming that they themselves are the victims, the forum would be a happier place to be.

What would be the requirements for a private forum? Do you have to believe all conspiracies? Can you believe one and argue against others? Or do you just have to let everyone say pro-conspiracy things and bite your tongue when you disagree? Would a blog not be better, in that case? And who decides who gains entry?

A private forum would risk ending up being nothing but a repository for random links. There won't be discussion beyond "Good post, here's another link", if all counter discussion is banned.

If someone is breaching the charter, report them. If they're not breaching the charter but annoying you, then ignore them. You're all adults so there's no reason to resort to childish bickering and name-calling. Just move on.
    Put it this way - If you were a mod of a fast-food enthusiasts forum, each to their own and all that, which was setup for likeminded people to discuss their common interest with each other and you had streams of keep-fit types coming into the forum making fat jokes and generally being condescending and dismissive of the people who are trying to have friendly discussions and it comes about that every exchange involves the fast-food guys having to try and defend themselves from comments from the keep-fit guys rather than discuss the topic that they are interested in wouldn't you take a step back and say to yourself - "this isn't working...there needs to be a format in place which prioritises the community over the trolls"?

"this isn't working...there needs to be a format in place which prioritises the community over the trolls"?

A 'Fast Food Enthusiasts' forum would be for fast food enthusiasts. However, a 'Fast Food' forum would be for anyone who wishes to discuss fast food. Similarly, the Conspiracy Theories forum is for the discussion of Conspiracy Theories. It is not specifically for Conspiracy Theorists.

There are many forums on boards where the relevant topic is discussed from both sides of the argument. There may be more on one side than the other, but, as per the CT forum charter:
    It is almost inevitable that you will see large amounts of the users here falling into two main camps, either in general, or on specific issues. On any issue there are those who support the Conspiracy Theory, and those who do not (referred to as "the skeptics", commonly). Whether you fall into one of those groups, or are more of a "fence-sitter", you're welcome here as long as you treat everyone else with respect.

Just because the forum is Conspiracy Theories does not mean that theorists are "the community". Any poster who uses the forum regularly is part of the community, regardless of what side of the fence they're on. And both sides of the fence sling sh*t over to the other side.

Again, the forum is for discussing Conspiracy Theories. That involves both sides.

Put it this way - If you were a mod of a fast-food enthusiasts forum, each to their own and all that, which was setup for likeminded people to discuss their common interest with each other and you had streams of keep-fit types coming into the forum making fat jokes and generally being condescending and dismissive of the people who are trying to have friendly discussions and it comes about that every exchange involves the fast-food guys having to try and defend themselves from comments from the keep-fit guys rather than discuss the topic that they are interested in wouldn't you take a step back and say to yourself - "this isn't working...there needs to be a format in place which prioritises the community over the trolls"?
    A better analogy would be where the fast food enthusiasts immediately dismiss any counter argument (or anything they don't like) as trolling or dismissiveness.

And afair, there's still a bit in the charter that allows OPs to exclude certain types of discussion and viewpoints from their threads within reason, so if you really did not want to hear from anyone who questioned the premise you don't have to.
    But few have be availed of that because hopefully they realise how hypocritical that would be.

That's an horrifically disingenuous example.

If it was a forum to discuss fast food and there were both pro-fast food and anti-fast food fans, there wouldn't be a problem. But when, despite the attempts of a handful to act like adults, a large portion of both sides try their hardest to insult each other, you realise that the problem isn't the forum format, it's the people on it.

It's not a problem with one side attacking the other. There's continued attempts at goading from nearly all participants in the forum.

Making the forum private is like cutting your leg off because you stubbed your toe. It's not solving the problem, it's hiding it. And as I said above, what happens when the select members start disagreeing? How do we decide which of them has to go?

Penn wrote: »
    A 'Fast Food Enthusiasts' forum would be for fast food enthusiasts. However, a 'Fast Food' forum would be for anyone who wishes to discuss fast food. Similarly, the Conspiracy Theories forum is for the discussion of Conspiracy Theories. It is not specifically for Conspiracy Theorists.

There are many forums on boards where the relevant topic is discussed from both sides of the argument. There may be more on one side than the other, but, as per the CT forum charter:
    Okay, you are missing the point entirely. I agree that the forum should be for discussing conspiracy theories for all. Just like the pschyology forum should be for all. However, if you have a bunch of militant Scientologists waiting to pounce on every thread causing a fuss, putting down pschyology and pschyologists at every opportunity they would be banned in short measure for trolling. For doing exactly what the debunkers do in CT.
    I am saying that the forum format should prioritise those interested in discussing the topics. Not those who desire to debunk the topics.
    Just because the forum is Conspiracy Theories does not mean that theorists are "the community". Any poster who uses the forum regularly is part of the community, regardless of what side of the fence they're on. And both sides of the fence sling sh*t over to the other side..
    Okay, so you are the mod of GTA. If I've never played GTA in my life. Have a patronising tone generally and only make disparaging remarks about the game and the people who play it I would therefore be a member of the GTA "community" and you'd have no problems with that as a mod?
    Again, the forum is for discussing Conspiracy Theories. That involves both sides.
    Actually it is far more complex than that. Yes there are people who are anti-conspiracy theorists, they're not hard to identify but amongst those who you consider pro-conspiracy theories there are many shades of grey.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    That's an horrifically disingenuous example.

If it was a forum to discuss fast food and there were both pro-fast food and anti-fast food fans, there wouldn't be a problem. But when, despite the attempts of a handful to act like adults, a large portion of both sides try their hardest to insult each other, you realise that the problem isn't the forum format, it's the people on it.

It's not a problem with one side attacking the other. There's continued attempts at goading from nearly all participants in the forum.

Making the forum private is like cutting your leg off because you stubbed your toe. It's not solving the problem, it's hiding it. And as I said above, what happens when the select members start disagreeing? How do we decide which of them has to go?
    Right, I do agree it is the players rather than the game that is at fault but I was under the impression that the OP was suggesting a sub-forum rather than a private forum.

Like they have in paranormal.

Okay, you are missing the point entirely. I agree that the forum should be for discussing conspiracy theories for all. Just like the pschyology forum should be for all. However, if you have a bunch of militant Scientologists waiting to pounce on every thread causing a fuss, putting down pschyology and pschyologists at every opportunity they would be banned in short measure for trolling. For doing exactly what the debunkers do in CT.

And people have been banned for going overboard like that in the past. The problem is, one persons trolling is another persons rebuttal. Maybe some people are quick to try and debunk the theory. But if they're remaining respectful, there should be no issue with that, as they are discussing the topic. The problem is when they are not respectful. But that's not exclusive to 'debunkers', as there are many 'theorists' who act the exact same way.
    Okay, so you are the mod of GTA. If I've never played GTA in my life. Have a patronising tone generally and only make disparaging remarks about the game and the people who play it I would therefore be a member of the GTA "community" and you'd have no problems with that as a mod?

Another bad analogy. You're describing a troll. If they had never played the game, they couldn't possibly give an educated opposing viewpoint. CTs however, many of the debunkers/skeptics actively engage in the discussion, just offering an opposing viewpoint usually backed up by some evidence or links. Again, it's when people step out of line that the problems occur. And again, this isn't limited to skeptics.
    Actually it is far more complex than that. Yes there are people who are anti-conspiracy theorists, they're not hard to identify but amongst those who you consider pro-conspiracy theories there are many shades of grey.

I agree. Like I said, there are some people who agree with most CTs, there are some that agree with only a few CTs, and equally, there are some who don't agree with any CTs. But the forum is for the discussion of CTs, so even those who believe in no CTs should be welcome to give their viewpoint. I don't agree with any CTs, yet the reason I started posting in the forum was because I enjoyed discussing some of them. But again, it's all about remaining respectful, and that's something which is a problem throughout the forum, not just on one side.
    Right, I do agree it is the players rather than the game that is at fault but I was under the impression that the OP was suggesting a sub-forum rather than a private forum.

Like they have in paranormal.

No, the OP was suggesting making the whole forum private, for people who only believe in CTs (subforum for 'members only' would be a private forum). Which as has been pointed out, would be next to impossible to determine who is allowed to join. What would happen to posters who have been posting there for years, remained respectful, but didn't believe in CTs? Or why would theorists who have caused trouble in the past be allowed to join? How many theories would you have to believe in to get access? etc.

Even a sub-forum would be a bad idea, because right away, you're blocking people from discussing the topics before you know if they can remain respectful or not (especially when it comes to new posters)

And people have been banned for going overboard like that in the past. The problem is, one persons trolling is another persons rebuttal. Maybe some people are quick to try and debunk the theory. But if they're remaining respectful, there should be no issue with that, as they are discussing the topic. The problem is when they are not respectful. But that's not exclusive to 'debunkers', as there are many 'theorists' who act the exact same way.
    For arguments sake let's take that as a given. I think it's also established that the forum is dysfunctional. So what is the root of the problem?

Who starts the threads? (the people who are actually interested in the subject matter) Is there a problem yet? Obviously not. The problems arise as the debunkers come in and raise tensions...

Actually, you know what? thanks for the responses but this is a waste of all our times. We both know this isnt going to go anywhere. Sorry for wasting your time.

Even a sub-forum would be a bad idea, because right away, you're blocking people from discussing the topics before you know if they can remain respectful or not (especially when it comes to new posters)
    But just on that point maybe we could all learn something if you could invite the Paranormal mod(s) to share their experiences of how the sub-forum worked there and why it came about?

Who starts the threads? (the people who are actually interested in the subject matter) Is there a problem yet? Obviously not. The problems arise as the debunkers come in and raise tensions...

How? By offering up an opposing viewpoint with links and evidence, causing the theorist to flip out and start insulting him?

I know what you meant. But what I pointed out above happens too. Again, maybe you can't see the forest for the trees, but it happens both ways. I modded there for about a year. Trust me, I saw it from both sides regularly.

For arguments sake let's take that as a given. I think it's also established that the forum is dysfunctional. So what is the root of the problem?

Actually, you know what? thanks for the responses but this is a waste of all our times. We both know this isnt going to go anywhere. Sorry for wasting your time.
    It's worth pointing out the odd time where someone who usually is called a sceptic, creates a thread and is jumped on by theorists who think it's funny to give him a taste of his own medicine, as it were. Again, childishness isn't the fault of only one side in the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't go on the CT forum because I know I would find it too irritating, so I just stay out. However. If I post in the Christianity forum I can offer opinions just provided I am not saying 'Christianity is rubbish' or 'If you believe that you believe anything'. You are not supposed to force Christians to keep defending their faith in a general sense. Fair enough. (It is of course the ultimate CT :D)

So why can't people who post in CT have to stick to the actual argument instead of making generalised anti CT remarks? It is a forum for theories, but you should be able to offer some basis for your argument for or against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Start a thread here Forum Requests and see if you get support for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

looksee wrote: »
    I don't go on the CT forum because I know I would find it too irritating, so I just stay out. However. If I post in the Christianity forum I can offer opinions just provided I am not saying 'Christianity is rubbish' or 'If you believe that you believe anything'. You are not supposed to force Christians to keep defending their faith in a general sense. Fair enough. (It is of course the ultimate CT :D)

So why can't people who post in CT have to stick to the actual argument instead of making generalised anti CT remarks? It is a forum for theories, but you should be able to offer some basis for your argument for or against.

THIS +++++++++++++++ Billions

I've been lurking/posting in the CT forum for a bit now, and this is the Problem, I was under the impression that there was a general Site wide rule on boards of Attack the post not the poster, however all too often the poster or the Source of the material that the poster uses are ridiculed mocked or derided instead of people engaging with the content of the post.

This came up again today as someone called Run to the Hills has posted a rather interesting Documentary on Propaganda which purports to have been created in the DPRK by 'the Glorious Leader' for the edification of his populace.

However rather than a discusion on the rather interesting film there is a discussion on the Posters motives for posting the Film.

This happens a lot, I happenend to be one of the first respondnats to the thread this time around which is why I got sucked into the discussion but normally I find that a thread s already at the second page of tit for tat before I come upon the discussion,
    which puts me of from voicing an opinion on the subject as I would deem it pointles to engage in a thread which has already been derailed by what seems to be long standing fueds amongst posters that I find dull, petty and childish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I think making the conspiracy theory forum private would be a terrible idea. If the only posts in there could be about discussing why each theory is true, we would inevitably see the forum devolve into a circlejerk.

I read the conspiracy theory forum a lot. I like it. I don't post all too often though, because I don't have an awful lot to say on either side of the discussion. Despite this, I will gladly try to point out glaring plotholes if needs be, as some of the theories are poorly stringed together and need criticism. It is the very nature of theories to be examined scrupulously before they are taken as fact. To simply say "lol k" when the latest "Lizard People Ate My Baby!" thread pops up would be pointless, and is not how a discussion (or a theory) works.

Advertisement