Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany: giving birth abroad

Options
  • 10-06-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Would giving birth in germany entitle the parents to a visa to stay in germany? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭greenteaicedtea

For the child to have German citizenship, at least one parent has to have lived in Germany for 8 years at the time the child is born.

I found that on the discussion on this page http://www.toytowngermany.com/lofi/index.php/t221138.html

I assume if the child is not a German citizen, the parents have no special rights to remain in Germany.

Also, Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship, at a certain age the child must choose whether to be a German citizen or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and obviously if you are an EU citizen you can stay and work in Germany, and that now includes all of the east european states now too which were limited until recently.
    So if you are irish (or other european) like 90%+ on boards.ie then its not an issue that you need a visa in the first place.

EDIT: I see from your post history you are american and in Ireland for many years. In that case the handiest for you may be to apply for irish naturalisation and with an EU passport you can then live and work anywhere in Europe. You need to have been in Ireland for just 5 of the last 8 years which it looks like you have been.

An EU citizen doesn't need a visa to work in Germany, but you will need a work permit. My sister and I are dual citizens (Ireland/Canada) and we have Irish passports, she worked in Germany for awhile but needed a permit in order to work there legally. She had to renew it periodically.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

An EU citizen doesn't need a visa to work in Germany, but you will need a work permit. My sister and I are dual citizens (Ireland/Canada) and we have Irish passports, she worked in Germany for awhile but needed a permit in order to work there legally. She had to renew it periodically.

Do you even need a work permit if you're an EU citizen? As far as I know, you can just register at the city, get a tax number and start working from there. Perhaps I'm wrong on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Do you even need a work permit if you're an EU citizen? As far as I know, you can just register at the city, get a tax number and start working from there. Perhaps I'm wrong on that...
    you dont need a work permit. You simply register with the local council that youre living in their town and you can normally organise the tax papers at the same time (same as getting the PPS nr in Ireland).

till a few years back you needed to get a residence permit so maybe thats the poster above was thinking of?
    ABSOLUTELY the most thick stupid bureaucratic heap of crap concept ever as it was a formality that an EU citizen would be automatically issued with the thing - so literally was just an exercise in paper pushing and keeping people in a job. Seriously, you had to apply to get a permit to stay in the country yet they could not refuse to permit you to stay in the first place ! An awful lot of effort on the applicant and issuers side for absolutely no reason or benefit.

Now thankfully your EU passport is good enough.
    Just in case, theres still a form you can get from the city council called a Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung (click on the link for info!) that confirms in writing this status of EU citizens for any dumb ass bank or otherwise that havent a clue of EU law and still need paperwork to be convinced that you're ok to be living in Germany.

• Advertisement

till a few years back you needed to get a residence permit so maybe thats the poster above was thinking of?

That was it quite likely. It's been about 4 years since my sister was working in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That was it quite likely. It's been about 4 years since my sister was working in Germany.

Yeh, no work Permit, just register with the City Hall and Tax office and thats it.

Same as it is for a German

Advertisement