Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do so many people reference Ireland as a nation?

• 10-06-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Instead of a country?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

What? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any sources or examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Because in terms of common usage, the words are interchangeable.

Also, even if one were strictly adhering to the dictionary definitions, Ireland can be described as both a country and a nation, as we have a majority of the population who share the same general culture (one meaning of the word "nation").

But mostly it's because to most people, the words mean the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Common Ireland :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bloody hell, not again, also explanes the whole of the UK and British Isles before anyone asks or brings it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Downlinz wrote: »
    Instead of a country?

As far as I know a nation means a large group of people are united by their common goals where as a country may have many people with different outlooks and goals,To be corrected :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Because in terms of common usage, the words are interchangeable.

Also, even if one were strictly adhering to the dictionary definitions, Ireland can be described as both a country and a nation, as we have a majority of the population who share the same general culture (one meaning of the word "nation").

But mostly it's because to most people, the words mean the same thing.

IN that sense also, nation could be used to describe the whole of the island, including the North, whereas state/country would refer to the political entity of the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

How did that gob****e get on the television :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A country once again....
    A country once again....

Deoesnt' really have the same ring to it, does it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    A country once again....
    A country once again....

Deoesnt' really have the same ring to it, does it?

You just beat me to it!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Downlinz

My understanding is a country is a place with a seat of governance, a nation is a place with commonality but not governance. i.e. the basque nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Pandora2 wrote: »
    You just beat me to it!! :D

Go on..its in your head now! Sing along :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

A nation? says Bloom. A nation is the same people living in the same place.
    —By God, then, says Ned, laughing, if that's so I'm a nation for I'm living in the same place for the past five years.

For the week thats in it Joyce put forward the famous question "What is a nation" in "Cyclops".

Advertisement