Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain care

• 10-06-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

How often should i adjust my chain? How often should i be oiling my chain and what would be the best stuff for it? i think it has gone a bit slack, it's a new chain i've driven around 270-300 miles since getting it. it was squeaking a tad yesterday so i oiled it i used brunox turbo-spray as it was all i had to hand and that seems to have sorted now. Anyone in north county dublin care to show a noob how to adjust their chain properly?:o:D
    I was feeling a bit of a wobble from one of the wheels not sure which one i think it was the back one would this be from the chain being a bit slack?
    sorry for the noobish questions but as much info as possible would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Sam:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

You adjust the chain if it feels loose or is slapping. There should be about 25mm play in it. As for lubing the chain, every 400-500 miles, more if you commute in rain. With regard to lube, there's loads - Muc Off PTFE Dry lube is good as it doesn't flick overspray onto your wheels. Castrol do a great racing chain lube which I use and it's top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

remember the 25mm slack is with you sitting on the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get a Scottoiler and you only have to check to make sure the reservoir is full. I've done about 5k km on mine and chain is still fine. You still need to check it for slack and tight spots but there are rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I drive in all weather everyday and have a longish drive to work (do about 400km a week just driving to and from work) so I oil my chain twice a week when it's raining and once a week when the weather is okay. I was intending to get a scottoiler put on the CBR before my accident so when I get my new bike (690 Duke :cool:) definitely going to get one on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Roughly how much is a scott oiler fitteed by an indy ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Well by Honda it's €200 approx. including Scottoiler and fitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

When fitted correctly they are a great unit....they take a fair bit of adjusting but once right they are great. For the extra €25 or so get the dual injector m8 that oils both sides of the sprocket its well worth it. I paid €110 for mine off pento in RPM and fitted it with a friend......its not that hard to fit so give it ago and save yourself a few De Niros €€€€€

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

My humble opinion :o Wouldn't be bothered with a Scottoiler, it's only for couriers etc who do huge mileage per week. Lube my chain about every 10 - 12 days and I ride my bike almost every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Use a rag with ATF on it it cleans the chain and lubes it.
    Loobman/Tuturo are a similar idea to scottoilers but about 10% of the price, if you're cheap you could makes something like a Tutoro for a few euro and your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I just thought i would post this as i was very pleasantly surprised, I rang extreme 45 to see how much it'd cost to get my chain adjusted as i did'nt know how to do it and although youtube is great i still don't want to wreck my Chain or sprocket. Anyways i asked how much and your man said bring it down and we will do it for free. Happy days, I was told they were expensive but i will be going there if i need anything done in future. So i pop down and sure enough gives me a quick lesson on how to adjust my chain.:cool: :D:D Got myself some chain wax too.:)

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Use a rag with ATF on it it cleans the chain and lubes it.
    Loobman/Tuturo are a similar idea to scottoilers but about 10% of the price, if you're cheap you could makes something like a Tutoro for a few euro and your time.

Yeah they are the business, but having to turn it on and off is a DISASTER!!! If you can trust yourself to do it they are very good. :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

what products do you guys use to clean/degrease the chain ??

You can use kerosene, NOT PETROL alot of lads I know use it. Just a rag and a bit of elbow grease. Muc off chain cleaner is really really good but very pricey good if you just bought a bike and wanted to give it a real good clean and then just maintain the chain.

I dont like Wax/grease lubes......you can use standard car oil if needs be but better of getting a dedicated chain lube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Notch000 wrote: »
    what products do you guys use to clean/degrease the chain ??

Personally I just use Bike-Tek Chain Cleaner and it's pretty good. There are numerous others, but I have no problems with this one.

41GcpZcSaCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Advertisement