Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Leaving Cert still relevant when you're a mature student?

• 10-06-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I've applied to a number of colleges for this September, I done my leaving Cert in 2004 and the highest grades I received was a D1 in each subject, however, since then I have had steady work (until I was made redundant last month), and have done very well in courses which I paid for.

So now I want a career change and am hoping college is the answer, but will my poor results in the Leaving stop me or will my subsequent achievements show that I have improved since my school days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

not sure but I'd say http://www.qualifax.ie/ might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

As far as I am aware Leaving Cert points are not taken into account when you are a mature student, but as mentioned in the post above me you should check it out just in case.

Also congratulations on opting for a career change and I hope you get on well in college!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

You should get a college place via the mature student route given your proven ability. However coming near graduation some jobs look for 450 points plus in the Leaving even if you have a great degree. Some companies only. Not all. eg http://m.irishjobs.ie/jobs/6648067

• Registered Users Posts: 8 3outta

As far as I am aware Leaving Cert points are not taken into account when you are a mature student, but as mentioned in the post above me you should check it out just in case.

Also congratulations on opting for a career change and I hope you get on well in college!

Thank you very much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

3outta wrote: »
    I've applied to a number of colleges for this September, I done my leaving Cert in 2004 and the highest grades I received was a D1 in each subject, however, since then I have had steady work (until I was made redundant last month), and have done very well in courses which I paid for.

So now I want a career change and am hoping college is the answer, but will my poor results in the Leaving stop me or will my subsequent achievements show that I have improved since my school days?
    Generally, mature students are assessed differently with no reference to LC, though those who did very well in their LC may also choose to apply through the conventional points route if they feel their points will guarantee them a place.

Assessment for mature students is usually by one or more of the following: interview; portfolio; structured testing.

As you might imagine, courses which of their nature require very specific pre-existing knowledge / skills are more likely to rely on structured testing; some may even require you to have completed a preparatory course e.g. PLC / FETAC.

Look up the colleges you are interested in, and check both their general admissions policies for mature students and the specific requirements for the type of course you want.

Also, you may find this forum better for any other specific questions.

Best of luck! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement