Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary irish.. Bad form

• 10-06-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Am i the only one gna fail ordinary irish !?

I have to memorize like 10 essays now for tomora and memorize the poems and pros for tuesday!! Hate Irish!

Help needed here ! What essays should i learn and what should i do for pros and porms??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I too am very nervous I'm gonna fail Irish. I have to learn the poems and pros also. Do we have to learn stories for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boom boom boom

Why learn essays? Learn verbs so u can make your own up.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Phrases are also very handy! "Anois no riamh" which means now or never usually works for everything. I was always disastrous at Irish but I tried my best to like it and it helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

We have to learn essays? >.>

Bit late for learning verbs now! The exam starts in less then 18 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Am I the only one who hasn't studied and is just gonna go for it? Be graaand.

No, me, my entire class and our teacher have the same attitude. :D

No amount of study would help me, honestly. I'm just going to learn off some phrases for the story and letter, re-read the pros and poetry a few times and go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Can't wait for the Scéal! No matter what the plot/opening title, I'm going to end up either in the hospital or at a Snow Patrol concert.

Gonna wing the Litir though, with a few handy phrases up my sleeve. 'I'm on the pig's back', 'Now or never', 'thanks be to God', 'I couldn't believe my eyes', etc. etc.

Colscaradh and Mo Ghrása better come up on Tuesday!

Can't wait for the Scéal! No matter what the plot/opening title, I'm going to end up either in the hospital or at a Snow Patrol concert.

:pac:

We did a sample paper in class ages ago. The title was something about the car breaking down. Didn't know what to write so I had my characters abandon the car in the middle of the road and walked the rest of the way to a U2 concert. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Geographyhater

Gonna wing the Litir though, with a few handy phrases up my sleeve. 'I'm on the pig's back', 'Now or never', 'thanks be to God', 'I couldn't believe my eyes', etc. etc.

Colscaradh and Mo Ghrása better come up on Tuesday!
    Every sentence of mine will be 'with the blink of an eye'

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    :pac:

We did a sample paper in class ages ago. The title was something about the car breaking down. Didn't know what to write so I had my characters abandoned the car in the middle of the road and walked the rest of the way to a U2 concert. :cool:

I wonder will the examiners find it suspicious that so many OL Irish students have gone to U2/Snow Patrol with their friend Liam/Aine?

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    We have to learn essays? >.>
    Wait .. You didnt know it was a memory exam?

My vocab does not get any more advanced then "Chuaigh", if the story doesn't involve going somewhere I'm fuked.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

I'm just gonna wing it, haven't looked at a word of Irish in two weeks though :o

Wait .. You didnt know it was a memory exam?

I know we have to listen to a CD and write a short story and a letter tomorrow. Nobody ever said anything about learning off essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Lads would yous not just do the Giota Leanúnach? They always have pure decent ones (in the samples anyway)
    - my favorite band
    - my favorite place in ireland
    - saturday evening is my favorite evening etc
    Our teacher makes us do them because she says the sceál is often too specific, at least with the giota you get a bit of leeway, they just give you a vague topic and all you've to write is 3/4 of a page to 1 page!

Lads would yous not just do the Giota Leanúnach? They always have pure decent ones (in the samples anyway)
    - my favorite band
    - my favorite place in ireland
    - saturday evening is my favorite evening etc
    Our teacher makes us do them because she says the sceál is often too specific, at least with the giota you get a bit of leeway, they just give you a vague topic and all you've to write is 3/4 of a page to 1 page!

Could we do the Letter, story and the Giota?

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Could we do the Letter, story and the Giota?

We can only do two I think.

We can only do two I think.

But If I do 3 won't they just mark me on the best 2. They'd hardly deduct marks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

They mark the best 2 (:

I reckon that since this is the first year of the new course, it'll be pretty straightforward (: Well I'm hoping :D

They mark the best 2 (:

I reckon that since this is the first year of the new course, it'll be pretty straightforward (: Well I'm hoping :D
    There better be sport on the giota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

It doesn't matter how bad a scéal was before, once you use this one phrase you're guaranteed A's. That phrase is.....

"GO TOBANN!"

Now go forth, & only use this knowledge for good of mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I just did a famous person/ person you admire same thing , a place i love , it was in the samples a few times and then sport , should be sorted for the giota! good lukc everyone but you don't need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I'll be winging it tomorrow. What is Giota Leanúnach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I am on same boat here... But when they say ''be grand'' I often doubth that it will be ''grand'' ... Damn you Sylvia :(

Which would people say is easier to learn off, An Gnáthrud or Seal i Neipeal? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 zachdiebold

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I'll be winging it tomorrow. What is Giota Leanúnach?

It means "continuous passage", it needs to be about 15 lines on an A4, with sentences that are linked together into a continuous essay type thing. They can't be disjointed or unconnected phrases.

I'm winging it today. Be graaaaaaaaaand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Predictions for the stories and poems?

• Advertisement

That was an unreal paper :D

Advertisement