Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you appreciate a good troll? And where have they gone?

• 10-06-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

These thoughts occurred to me when I noticed that two posters who I (and I hope most people) would've considered trolls had closed their accounts not long after registering. (no names mentioned)

It's something I've noticed lately: posters who register, post ridiculous, ill-informed things, can't back their arguments up when people take them to task, then close their accounts.

Even the trolls who remain, and on the internet in general these days, just don't seem to be very good at it.
    They'll post something stupid, with little consideration of nuancing their argument in order to appear plausible and really wind people up.
    They'll just keep repeating themselves, not really evolving their arguments for maximum nuisance factor.
    (I may just be mistaking stupidity for trolling though)

No-one really likes a troll, but there is an art to good trolling. The best ones would not simply post something obviously outrageous and get banned or have their thread locked.
    They'd really know how to push people's buttons and keep things going for a long time.

What's happened to the state of trolling?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Needs more focus in schools. We should have a question on the LC English paper II for it instead of an essay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Shower of n_ggers if ask me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

I was mistaken for a troll, but I wasn't...I was just stupid...like a fox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

shuridunno wrote: »
    I was mistaken for a troll, but I wasn't...I was just stupid...like a fox

I recall a fellow, he looked like you, and I'm still convinced he was a troll.

But idunnoshur.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I like a good troll... makes me laugh from time to time... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

artoftrolling.com

Love that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Trolls were much better in the old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I tried to start a thread about trolling but it got locked :(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77250348

MadYaker wrote: »
    I tried to start a thread about trolling but it got locked :(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77250348

Hhm, I think that thread might just have crossed the line between "about trolling" and "actively encouraging trolling." :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Domo230 wrote: »
    I did love the man gets hit by train thread.

Fair play to the mods for pretending to abuse their power by keeping it up (seriously if you havnt seen it go look up the thread, it's the best thread on boards)

Anyone have the link for it?

Its in the legendary boards thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some good trolls still about some of the best are actually mods ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I trolled the Euros thread so so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Ah Joe all the good trolls are gone. Fecking disgrace Joe :)

He is under the bridge waiting for the Billy goats ...oh wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Pedant wrote: »

I often pretend I'm trolling when I realise I just haven't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Check out the Facebook thread about pedobear. Definitely some trolling right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Pedant wrote: »

Link to your masterpiece?

It's heartening to see that the greatest real-world trolls continue to exceed my high expectations.

You might recall some time ago that the Sunday Independent used the death of a teenage boy as a pretext for promoting the boutique owned by his girlfriend's mother, right in the middle of the article "about" his tragic death.

Well today in The Sunday Independent magazine they feature an interview (favourite book, film etc.) with the owner of the boutique, presumably just to piss people off.

Bravo, Sindo, bravo. You're easily the greatest trolls out there, and we all admire how you've managed to plumb new depths, when we all thought you'd reached the lowest nadir possible a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I do, I enjoy a good troll, they give me a laugh before they inevitably run out of material, have had some really good ones on here over the years.

When a troll is bad though he should be killed straight away.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

What about Gnomes ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... when we all thought you'd reached the lowest nadir possible a long time ago.
    The appalling quality of English is redolent of an habitual Sindo reader.

The lowest nadir comment above is at best a display of tautology, at worst it displays a complete lack of understanding of the word "nadir".

Do you have any more O'Reillyisms you want to share with us, just so you can get them out of your system?

Bye the bye, is O'Reilly really a troll or is my understanding of these new media terms wanting in some way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Good trolls are like good satire, you can't tell the difference between them and the real thing.

Maybe the trolls have become better and they've blended in with the rest of the net's denizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

mathepac wrote: »

The lowest nadir comment above is at best a display of tautolog,y, at worst it displays a complete lack of understanding of the word "nadir".

Do you have any more O'Reillyisms you want to share with us, just so you can get them out of your system?

Bye the bye, is O'Reilly really a troll or is my understanding of these new media terms wanting in some way?

He probably means the lowest of the lowest, mathepac :D

I'm not familiar with the term "the lowest of the lowest" whereas I do know "the lowest of the low". Maybe "the lowest of the lowest" is another O'Reillyism. You're a long-standing Sindo fan yourself I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

I'm not familiar with the term "the lowest of the lowest" whereas I do know "the lowest of the low". Maybe "the lowest of the lowest" is another O'Reillyism. You're a long-standing Sindo fan yourself I take it?
    What has O'Reilly got to do with the sindo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Boards trolls from years ago were so much better.
    Feels like they've stopped trying now.

Rabies wrote: »
    Boards trolls from years ago were so much better.
    Feels like they've stopped trying now.

Definitely, they're just rubbish now:

The lowest nadir comment above is at best a display of tautology, at worst it displays a complete lack of understanding of the word "nadir".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

These thoughts occurred to me when I noticed that two posters who I (and I hope most people) would've considered trolls had closed their accounts not long after registering. (no names mentioned)

It's something I've noticed lately: posters who register, post ridiculous, ill-informed things, can't back their arguments up when people take them to task, then close their accounts.

Even the trolls who remain, and on the internet in general these days, just don't seem to be very good at it.
    They'll post something stupid, with little consideration of nuancing their argument in order to appear plausible and really wind people up.
    They'll just keep repeating themselves, not really evolving their arguments for maximum nuisance factor.

No-one really likes a troll, but there is an art to good trolling. The best ones would not simply post something obviously outrageous and get banned or have their thread locked.
    They'd really know how to push people's buttons and keep things going for a long time.

So you finally came out from under your bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I can assure you that the art of trolling is very alive and well. :)

You see, the best trolls are those who are not even detected as trolls. Some of them only drop into Boards.ie for part of the time, because they can influence much bigger audiences elsewhere. :D:D

Or so I'm told.;););)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Some of the Fianna Fail trolls that emerged around election time were good. This one made me laugh: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68315280

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There was a certain unionist troll who's gone now I think, he was always good for a giggle.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    What has O'Reilly got to do with the sindo?
    The O'Reilly family owns the Sindo / Indo & other newspapers in Ireland as well as other news media around the world. The used to own The Independent but sold it for £1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Maybe I just has the dumb, but when I hear O'Reilly I think the fool on Fox. This isn't the O'Reilly being meant here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_O'Reilly

(Come on, someone, can't be the only one who was mixed up :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

It's heartening to see that the greatest real-world trolls continue to exceed my high expectations.

You might recall some time ago that the Sunday Independent used the death of a teenage boy as a pretext for promoting the boutique owned by his girlfriend's mother, right in the middle of the article "about" his tragic death.

Well today in The Sunday Independent magazine they feature an interview (favourite book, film etc.) with the owner of the boutique, presumably just to piss people off.

Bravo, Sindo, bravo. You're easily the greatest trolls out there, and we all admire how you've managed to plumb new depths, when we all thought you'd reached the lowest nadir possible a long time ago.

Is there a link to this?

Even trolls are affected by the Recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

These days any dissenting comment is seen as "Trolling".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManTheSam

Domo230 wrote: »
    I did love the man gets hit by train thread.

Fair play to the mods for pretending to abuse their power by keeping it up (seriously if you havnt seen it go look up the thread, it's the best thread on boards)

Anyone have the link for it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055626095&page=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Haelium wrote: »
    These days any dissenting comment is seen as "Trolling".
    Not sure if trolling...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

The O'Reilly family owns the Sindo / Indo & other newspapers in Ireland as well as other news media around the world. The used to own The Independent but sold it for £1.
    Sorry to disillusion you but they don't, INM which owns the Indo/Sindo/Sunday World, and a rake of reigonal newspapers in neither owned nor controlled by the O'Reilly's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Most of the old school trolls have gone here.

• Advertisement

Definitely, they're just rubbish now:
    I'm sorry, I'll try harder. It seems I get accused of trolling when I'm not and told I'm rubbish when I do. I just can't seem to lose.

Is there a link to this?

Unfortunately not, it doesn't seem to be on the website, just the magazine.
    I'm sorry, I'll try harder. It seems I get accused of trolling when I'm not and told I'm rubbish when I do. I just can't seem to lose.

Grammar Nazism is normally a fruitful avenue for trolling, but unfortunately it's too soon after a high-profile thread about the subject, and the sticky on the issue means that it's difficult to take large-scale acts of Grammar Nazism seriously, given the awareness of the disapproval against it.

Regular Nazism, on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They're still about, they're just tired of the lack of challenge provided by the credulous masses who keep signing up in ever greater numbers. There's just no fun trolling commoners who'll instantly believe almost anything you post. It's like most people are just too... Well I don't want to say stupid... Eh, too unaware to get offended, that sounds better.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Sorry to disillusion you but they don't, INM which owns the Indo/Sindo/Sunday World, and a rake of reigonal newspapers in neither owned nor controlled by the O'Reilly's.
    That's odd because the Indo reporting on the AGM lists him. As well as his own shares, his 6 kids and the Mrs. seem to control just short of 30% of IN&M, so 30% his then, thank you for your correction. The two Dinnys have big lumps of shares too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i put on my robe and wizard hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

A good one here, look out for his other stuff :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056568883

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Bell Butter

A good one here, look out for his other stuff :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056568883

That was a good read Thanks:pac:

old_aussie wrote: »
    So you finally came out from under your bridge.

Sssshh!!

I was going to wait at least another few months before revealing my insanely complicated trolling grand plan that I've crafted without anyone realising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Is there a link to this?

Unfortunately not, it doesn't seem to be on the website, just the magazine.

Grammar Nazism is normally a fruitful avenue for trolling, but unfortunately it's too soon after a high-profile thread about the subject, and the sticky on the issue means that it's difficult to take large-scale acts of Grammar Nazism seriously, given the awareness of the disapproval against it.

Regular Nazism, on the other hand...
    They might be afraid of the comments, I can't; pass her shop without thinking of the first "article"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I think people are too afraid to troll boards, or just could not be bothered.
    It seems that wit is no longer awarded and instead comments like "don't feed the troll" etc. are hurled in their general direction, quickly followed by a ban.

Trying to push peoples buttons without getting an outright ban is a hard trick to pull off these days, add to that the general decline in peoples intelligence, then is it really any wonder there are no witty trolls left?

• Advertisement
Advertisement