Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you appreciate a good troll? And where have they gone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I think people are too afraid to troll boards, or just could not be bothered.
    It seems that wit is no longer awarded and instead comments like "don't feed the troll" etc. are hurled in their general direction, quickly followed by a ban.

Trying to push peoples buttons without getting an outright ban is a hard trick to pull off these days, add to that the general decline in peoples intelligence, then is it really any wonder there are no witty trolls left?

Afraid of what?

Most of the good trolls got banned ages ago (or stopped bothering), mainly due to overzealous moderators (possibly), and now AH is just an echo chamber of insipid, uninspired and downright stupid repost threads. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Nichololas wrote: »
    Afraid of what?

Most of the good trolls got banned ages ago (or stopped bothering), mainly due to overzealous moderators (possibly), and now AH is just an echo chamber of insipid, uninspired and downright stupid repost threads. :(

Afraid of being banned. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I'm going to troll the sh*t out of the Home & Garden forum right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Trying to push peoples buttons without getting an outright ban is a hard trick to pull off these days, add to that the general decline in peoples intelligence, then is it really any wonder there are no witty trolls left?

It's actually appallingly easy. Most people are just really bad at it. I blame kids shows like Barney telling every knuckle dragging windowlicker that, in defiance of all available evidence, they are nevertheless special snowflakes destined for greatness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I always wanted to troll the ladies lounge but I'm afraid of G'em

• Site Banned Posts: 15 ben_bernanke

when you consider the kind of priggish old ladies who monitor this joint , trolls are about as welcome as republicans at lizzy windsors recent knees up

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ambient Occlusion

When Rémi Gaillard does it, it's funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

But troll ducks are awesome:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

There was a certain unionist troll who's gone now I think, he was always good for a giggle.
    Nope, he's still around.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74834356&postcount=51

'Resurrected' so to speak

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79129669&postcount=64

Still lacking in subtly though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Where have they gone?

Well after the council of Marmarath the wise Sages decided something had to be done about the horde of trolls who would descend from the mountains every winter and destroy churches and eat the simple folks sheep and children. They thought for hours and days on this conundrum; how to stop 100s of trolls rampaging forth on to the peasants land? They were unsure and decided the best course of action was to consult Sindri, who was the wisest and most handsomerest of all the Sages. Ever! But to consult the great and magnanimous Sindri they had to venture to the land of Niðavellir which was over the black mountains and into Niðafjöll but that is where the dragon Níðhöggr, who did not take too kindly to strangers in his lands, apart from Sindri, who had travelled those lands aeons ago and ventured upon a young and angry dragon whom he had befriended, as was his way. Angry because he had a thorn in his claw. Níðhöggr attacked Sindri but Sindri, who was and still is a master of the instrument of the Gods, the electric triangle, crooned Níðhöggr to sleep thus delaying the attack on his person. As Níðhöggr slept Sindri took pity on the young dragon and pulled the thorn from his claw with a pair of tongs he kept on his person. When the dragon awoke he was so grateful to be done away with the irritation on his paw he granted Sindri a barony on his lands and made him the keeper of his treasure as well as priveliges with his wife the beautiful and mesmerizing Derisa. But Sindri kindly turned him down as Sindri was celibate and pious in his ways.
    The stories of Sindri's life were well known in his day and the Sages knew of his wise ways like always urinating down wind, which Sindri had written a popular and in depth pamphlet on which was mandatory reading in the Kingdom of Majalajar. They sent the young Niggli to consult Sindri; Niggli being the son of Piggli and the grandson of Wiggli who was begot by Giggli, the same Giggli who wrought the powerful blade Jujibur which had long been lost to the evil shadow master shaman and troll king Kyglig (who was a right bollocks if the annals of Nigimuugur were to be believed, which they were, as Sindri had written them and he's perfect (if the annals of Nigimuugur are to be believed, which they are). Niggli was young, and inexperienced in the way of the Sages. He wore yellow robes denoting that he was an apprentice. The Sages had sent Niggli due to their craven disposition of traveling such a treacherous path as well as their fear of Sindri, who could always colour in inside the lines no matter even if the drawing was a vertical single line of black ink, and that was a talent they rightly admired and feared.
    Niggli set out on his journey from Udjfaulusi, a port town on the peninsula of Midraterash Island (as well as a centre back for Atletico Madrid), which in fact was not in Midraterash at all, the name being misleading but the name had stuck after it had been misidentified by a cartographer long ago.
    Niggli was scared and uncertain. He was an oaf and no where near as talented as me Sindri. He found passage by boat to Fertilar and decided to start his journey from there. A grave mistake...

(Continued in Part II of the Tales of Sindri the Omnipotent...) :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Grammar Nazism is normally a fruitful avenue for trolling, but unfortunately it's too soon after a high-profile thread about the subject, and the sticky on the issue means that it's difficult to take large-scale acts of Grammar Nazism seriously, given the awareness of the disapproval against it.

Regular Nazism, on the other hand...
    Excellent, you win today's Godwin Award. That makes how many you have now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

mathepac wrote: »
    Excellent, you win today's Godwin Award. That makes how many you have now?

Six.

I'm aiming for eighteen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Six.

I'm aiming for eighteen.
    Oooh, nicely done - will give you 1 more for that cryptic reference.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

Haelium wrote: »
    These days any dissenting comment is seen as "Trolling".

+1
    seems like I cant say anything without trolling .
    (I do like to release the odd gnome or two though,, maybe that's why ) :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Trolling is a art

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

dorgasm wrote: »
    Trolling is a art

I see what you did their.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

*Wild Accusation*

*Making statement as fact*

*Reference to Hitler*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Subtle as an avalanche but that's why I like him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

mathepac wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the term "the lowest of the lowest" whereas I do know "the lowest of the low". Maybe "the lowest of the lowest" is another O'Reillyism. You're a long-standing Sindo fan yourself I take it?

O'Really :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

As per the below link I used to coach the dark art of trolling on here...... It's a tough job, burnout is inevitable after 12-18 months maximum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57617227&postcount=37

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Raiser wrote: »
    As per the below link I used to coach the dark art of trolling on here...... It's a tough job, burnout is inevitable after 12-18 months maximum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57617227&postcount=37

Having to click on two links: I think that counts as trolling.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

I see what you did their.
    Being a bit pedantical arent we ?

Advertisement