Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAS tubes?

Options
  • 10-06-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone know what the white pipes marked GAS are for all along the road from Midleton to Carrigtohill?

Tried googling it but no answer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I was wondering the same, they're all over the place not just on that road. My best guess is that they're marker posts for a high pressure main but I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭have_a_go_hero

a few years ago there was a new pipeline laid from whitegate to somewhere up the country and the line basically follows past carrig etc,, the markers are some sort of valve or monitioring point.
    hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

a few years ago there was a new pipeline laid from whitegate to somewhere up the country and the line basically follows past carrig etc,, the markers are some sort of valve or monitioring point.
    hope that helps!

I can't see why you'd need that many monitoring points and no need at all for valve out in fields. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Look no further Boards Infrastructure has the answer..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77501425

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Cedrus wrote: »
    I can't see why you'd need that many monitoring points and no need at all for valve out in fields. :confused:

They are just marker posts, to make sure everyone can easily identify the transmission (high pressure) pipelines. The pipelines are laid in straight lines between the marker posts. Some of these pipelines can be at 1,000 psi - not to be messed with. If you damaged one of those things with a JCB or something, it would have painful / tragic consequences for those in the vicinity.

Also, it makes them easily identifiable from the air - they are surveyed periodically by helicopter, to ensure that nobody is building any type of structure on them, or deep excavations, that sort of thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement