Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Trap and Ireland done?

• 10-06-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭

Outplayed and out muscled tonight. Trap has insisted that we stuck rigidly to 442, despite the midfield being completely swamped. Ward got roasted alive and looked out of his depth despite the fact we have a competent left back in Wilson who didn't even make the squad. What's worst is that we are stuck with Trap on a big money contract.

Time to cut our losses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

stop making threads with this title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I lold because I presume this is a joke thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

We're just luring Italy and Spain in with a false sense of security

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

We're just luring Italy and Spain in with a false sense of security

Indeedy.

Our. Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

dorgasm wrote: »
    I lold because I presume this is a joke thread.
    The joke is on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Shame the ignore function doesn't ignore the actual threads they make :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I would ban you if I was a mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Your some fan game wasnt even finished and you wanted trap out.

We have done fantastic to qualify and there is still two games left...COYBIG :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Stupid, clueless post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Well I suppose Trap might be done. He'll be what 74,75 or something like that the next time a major tournament comes around.

Well Ireland aren't done as you can always try & breed new blood into the team. Were done for this tournament anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

tdv123 wrote: »
    Well I suppose Trap might be done. He'll be what 74,75 or something like that the next time a major tournament comes around.

Well Ireland aren't done as you can always try & breed new blood into the team. Were done for this tournament anyway.

80 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

next year is our year!!.........and pretty dumb thread to start after one defeat in 13 or 14 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So managers should be sacked now after losing one game?

Can someone name me a team who have never been beaten?

These " Are xxxx and xxxx done?" threads are becoming very tedious at this stage and should be forbidden in the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

In fairness, their second goal shouldn't have counted and we had a stonewall penalty ignored by the ref.

murpho999 wrote: »

These " Are xxxx and xxxx done?" threads are becoming very tedious at this stage and should be forbidden in the charter.
    The thread title was tongue in cheek. The sentiment is valid and one I have been consistent on since way before this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Classless thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can a mod not lock this until Ireland's participation in the Championships is over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

OP should be ashamed! No right to call yourself a fan with those remarks! :mad:

The thread title was tongue in cheek. The sentiment is valid and one I have been consistent on since way before this tournament.

Then post it after we win our play off against Estonia not minutes after a disappointing defeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

murpho999 wrote: »

Juventus went a whole domestic campaign unbeaten last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

and the word 'never' is in a dictionary.

Juventus have lost hundreds of times in their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Until we murdered them in the Coppa Italia Final that is:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Oh I see, we lose a game and here comes big francie barrett with his HEY PEOPLE WHAT ABOUT WHAT I SAID, I WAS RIGHT, I WAS RIGHT, I WAS RIGHT!

Lets all just bow down to you and completely give up with two games to go in the group stages.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

We were beaten by a better team.We do not have the players for this level.Now I still don't think Trap is the man but it is not all his fault.

That's not what I meant and they still lost before that season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Im not sure what anyone else expected.
    Croatia are 8th in the world, with players playing for decent clubs all over the place.
    We were dreadfully unlucky with the second goal.

It might mean a change of tactics/attitude for the next two games ala France a few years ago.

We are bating above our footballing weight to have even got here and I hope talk of Traps demise is from the knee jerkists like the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    You were just waiting for us to lose to start this thread. You must live a sad life

I think it is reasonable that people who have had objections with Trap's style for a very long time, voice their opinions after a game where his style was proven to be completely and utterly appalling.

I think it is reasonable that people who have had objections with Trap's style for a very long time, voice their opinions after a game where his style was proven to be completely and utterly appalling.
    How about they wait until after the Euros and let us all enjoy it first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Outplayed and out muscled tonight. Trap has insisted that we stuck rigidly to 442, despite the midfield being completely swamped. Ward got roasted alive and looked out of his depth despite the fact we have a competent left back in Wilson who didn't even make the squad. What's worst is that we are stuck with Trap on a big money contract.

Time to cut our losses?

So, your seriously think we should cut our losses and sack Trap after 1 game in a major tournament? And you think the sentiment is valid? Who do you think we should get in? Oh wise one, who is available in the next 2 games that will get us a better result against Spain in 4 days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Trap is a hero for even getting us to the tournament. There is no shame in being beaten by a better team. Disappointment certainly that we gave away soft goals and made it easier for them. However, any Irish fan who thinks we are on the same level as any of the other three teams obviously hasn't been paying enough attention.

I'm grateful to Trap and the lads for getting us there.

And you expected an Irish team with the selection of players that we currently have to perform well in a match against the eight best in the world (with a smidgen of awful luck going against them)
    Thats just deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lol

eagle eye wrote: »
    How about they wait until after the Euros and let us all enjoy it first?

But we are as good as out now. With the best team in the world to come, and another team who are superior to Croatia, you think it will be enjoyable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So far in this tournament Boardsies want to kick Russia out and get rid of Trap after the opening game.

The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tbh I can't believe he was given a two year contract before the tournament.

kippy wrote: »
    And you expected an Irish team with the selection of players that we currently have to perform well in a match against the eight best in the world (with a smidgen of awful luck going against them)
    Thats just deluded.

We have better options! We play a system which is becoming redundant in modern football, where our limited midfield consistently gets over-run. Hardly deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Xavi6 wrote: »

First major tournament in 10 years, we're not Barcelona etc...

I have no qualms with any of the players who played tonight, they genuinely gave it their all. Trap is clearly the problem here. Does anyone disagree with the following statements?

1. We don't have our best 23 players in the squad?
    2. That 442 clearly isn't our best formation?

But we are as good as out now. With the best team in the world to come, and another team who are superior to Croatia, you think it will be enjoyable?
    Well any team you'd be part of would be with that attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    First major tournament in 10 years, we're not Barcelona etc...

....thank fúck we're not Pats...

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Think I may avoid this forum for a while.

Xavi6 wrote: »

And the prospect of Tardelli succeeding him is the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Time to cut our losses?

uhjuhihu.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Guys, don't let this get out of hand please.

It is perfectly valid to question Trap's tactics, but Francie Barrett, I'm sure you knew the reaction that using such a title would cause. I don't see why this even needed a new thread.

Everyone, keep the peace, the mods don't want to be handing out a round of cards in the morning.

We have better options! We play a system which is becoming redundant in modern football, where our limited midfield consistently gets over-run. Hardly deluded.

Like we have had better options for the past ten years and better "systems" to use them in.

Lads, we have not one player in that squad (indeed available for selection) playing for the top 6/7 clubs in any country (bar maybe McGeady). That's what we are up against. We do not have the players to play in any other system that will give us the success that Trap has given us.
    Our limited midfield somehow managed to get us into this tournament, move us from 38-18 in the FIFA rankings since Trap took over and somehow get within a whisker of qualifying for the last WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Trap is a hero for even getting us to the tournament. There is no shame in being beaten by a better team. Disappointment certainly that we gave away soft goals and made it easier for them. However, any Irish fan who thinks we are on the same level as any of the other three teams obviously hasn't been paying enough attention.

It was always going to be a tough group to get out of.

Fine, we lost tonight, we gave away a few sloppy goals but we're there aren't we?

We have two more games to enjoy, against two very strong teams, let's get behind the team and enjoy it and hope for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Seriously lads, we all know this is the worst team to qualify for a major championship, even Staunton had a better team, but we have qualified. Yes we lost tonight, but feck it I enjoyed the build up and most of the game tonight and I will look forward to the boys playing against the Spain.

No need to get annoyed by tonight, we ain't the Dutch. Enjoy these nights. I reckon we may be waiting another 10 years before another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I think anyone who doesn't think this has a few screws loose tbh

edgecutter wrote: »
    Seriously lads, we all know this is the worst team to qualify for a major championship, even Staunton had a better team, but we have qualified. Yes we lost tonight, but feck it I enjoyed the build up and most of the game tonight and I will look forward to the boys playing against the Spain.

No need to get annoyed by tonight, we ain't the Dutch. Enjoy these nights. I reckon we may be waiting another 10 years before another.

+100

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement