Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great camp

Options
  • 10-06-2012 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a great camp in Larch Hill. It was a sort of last minute thing with our scout section. Only 9 going due to Gaeltacht/exams/other issues.

The scouts ran the program and decided on a lightweight camp. Hiked up from Rathfarnham Village carrying everything. Vango Spectre tents, hexi stoves with Triangia pots for cooking. The did a backwoods base which involved making bivvies and then decided they'd sleep in them. First time for most of them sleeping in bivvies.

They cooked everything using the hexis and ended up only using the tents for their bags.

Us scouters had very little to do - they ran the whole program themselves and they had a ball. Great atmosphere among them too. I'm knackered tonight but had a great time on the hill with them.

Anyone else any fun camp stories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

I'm a venture myself, but we do have great camps up in Powerscourt!

The whole place is a forest so we can have big fires to cook on, and bivi nearly anywhere. We also usually go for a river walk and splash around.

Last week, we were up there helping the cubs, and the leaders paid for our food and fees, on the condition that we kept them busy during the day, and we wore them out! took them for an hour walk up the river, night hikes, and made an assault course and alter fires! All in all a great mud filled weekend, especily since we had 12 hours of rain one night and had to pull out the next day when the river rose 6ft! But yeah, Powerscourt has to one of the best places to camp, fees are really good value too!

nim

Advertisement