Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a replacement - iPad - Power City

Options
  • 10-06-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought an iPad from power city about 3 weeks ago. Ever since I have been having trouble with it connecting to my mobile network for data.

I have checked with O2 and there is no issue with signal, replaced sim card and tried in another device, working perfect. I tried a sim from three in it too and it had the same issue.

It's showing as having signal but it can't connect. I just get an error message.

I have captured the screen showing this about 40 times, so I have prof that there is an issue.

I want to return it for a replacement, I don't want a repair as that will take too long. Am I entitled to a replacement?

I'm going to bring it back tomorrow, my bank will do a charge back on the card if they refuse but I'd rather not do that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

You are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. The shop chooses which.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you checked in the Apple Devices forum to make sure that there is no obvious setting that you're missing?

Otherwise then, off to Power City with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I dont think you can get a chargeback for a faulty unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

dudara wrote: »
    Have you checked in the Apple Devices forum to make sure that there is no obvious setting that you're missing?

Otherwise then, off to Power City with you.

Yea I checked. It's a common problem in the US version, but no fixes.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I dont think you can get a chargeback for a faulty unit.

Well it says if the item is damaged when you get it. Something must be damaged if its not working properly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Yea I checked. It's a common problem in the US version, but no fixes.

Well it says if the item is damaged when you get it. Something must be damaged if its not working properly

The bank don't just give you your money back. You must explain why you want a chargeback (in the meantime they cancel your credit card), they then give the retailer the opportunity to explain why they have wrongly charged you. Even though the retailer was 100% in the wrong with me last time, it took 4/5 weeks to get my money back.

Do yourself a favour, and go on to the Apple website and organise a repair, or ring Apple directly.

• Advertisement

I went back to the store today. I was told to contact apple and either get a reference number from them so they can replace it or get apple to replace it.

I rang apple, they said they could replace it, but it would mean send them the iPad and then 5 days later they would send me a new one. Or I could buy the Apple care package and I would get a replacement tomorrow.

I just got the reference number from them and went back to power city. They made about 20 phone calls, then told me they can't do anything with it today. They said that they would have to wait for their supplier to arrange a replacement with Apple, then the supplier will let them know. Then they will let me know and I can come back and exchange it when that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. The shop chooses which.
    No they don't. The shop only chooses which option they offer, but it's certainly not a case of take it or leave it. It's a case of coming to a reasonable agreement.

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I went back to the store today. I was told to contact apple and either get a reference number from them so they can replace it or get apple to replace it.

I rang apple, they said they could replace it, but it would mean send them the iPad and then 5 days later they would send me a new one. Or I could buy the Apple care package and I would get a replacement tomorrow.

I just got the reference number from them and went back to power city. They made about 20 phone calls, then told me they can't do anything with it today. They said that they would have to wait for their supplier to arrange a replacement with Apple, then the supplier will let them know. Then they will let me know and I can come back and exchange it when that happens.
    The second response is what the shop should have done in the first place. You shouldn't have had to contact Apple, your contract is with P.C. and Apple has nothing to do with it unless it's a warranty claim.

If P.C. are simply claiming off your warranty (as opposed to funding the replacement themselves) then make sure that your original warranty remains intact and doesn't expire as soon as the item is replaced.

Still hasnt been sorted out.

I keep getting told to come back the next day that they are trying to organise a replacement. They have to confirm that they can with their supplier first.

Starting to get annoyed. If I dont have a replacement by tomorrow then Im going for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If you had just sent it to Apple day one you'd have a replacement in 3-4 days.

gpf101 wrote: »
    If you had just sent it to Apple day one you'd have a replacement in 3-4 days.

Yes but it's still useable and I use it constantly when out. If I send it to apple I will be without it for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Fair enough. Statuary rights aside I just find it the easiest option.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

slimjimmc wrote: »

The second response is what the shop should have done in the first place. You shouldn't have had to contact Apple, your contract is with P.C. and Apple has nothing to do with it unless it's a warranty claim.

Just as an aside, while this is true, unless it's changed since I was in the game, Apple aggressively try to get retailers to channel their CC through them (Apple) and it's generally a quicker process to do so. In general, when a company redirects you to Apple (and Apple specifically) they are not dodging the refund, just doing as asked.

Sometimes, standing your ground and making the retailer do it, while entirely your right, is cutting your nose to spite your face, as the process is exactly the same- except you've now introduced an extra layer of beauracracy.

Advertisement