Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Garmin forerunner 110

Options
  • 10-06-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Just wondering how many people are having problems with these watches?

I got mine less than 2 years ago and have had it replaced twice. The first time the sat nav stopped working. Less than a year later the replacement stopped working altogether. And a friend had hers replaced within less than 2 years as the sat nav stopped working on hers.

The shop gave me a new one and mentioned that garmin have had loads of problems with it and are bringing out a new watch later this year. But that's no good for people still buying them and those of us with them. I asked the shop to get Garmin to contact me and the guy very reluctantly agreed. At some point Garmin are going to stop replacing these as the warranty has expired yet there appears to be an inherent fault with the watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Yeah, I had problems with the 110 just a couple of weeks after I bought it online, it seemed take in some water, and the face fogged up. Thankfully the online store I purchased it from, sent me out a replacement immediately, before they even received my watch back.

I have had one problem with the replacement one, but resetting it seemed to sort it out. It does take an age picking up satalite at somedays, and sometimes I can be a good 1/3 mile down the road before it'll clock any distance. But I'll just have to stick with it for now, this running lark is working out to be expensive :o

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

same here, endless problems with my 110, bad buy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 donmc

Any recommendations so for a similar running watch??? looking to buy myself but not seen great comments on the 110..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I've been having problems recently with mine too. Did a quick search and found this thread.

I received mine as a gift well over a year ago - so I don't know where it was bought etc. It was working fine since I got it. The last time it worked properly was the Fingal 10K a couple of weeks ago.... well, it worked properly all through the race. Afterwards when I held in the 'reset' button the screen went mad - showing up a load of gobble-de-gook, and it froze.

I had to let the battery go dead and then re-charge it. seemed to be OK after that (Even though I lost all the Fingal 10K data) - but it was locating the satellite as normal - and showing your pace (before starting the timer).... but when I started the timer it wasn't tracking distance or pace. It was just basically an ordinary (overpriced) stopwatch!!

Anyone here know of a way to get these back working normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

donmc wrote: »
    Any recommendations so for a similar running watch??? looking to buy myself but not seen great comments on the 110..

We've had quite a few warranty returns on the FR110 which have been replaced immediately new for old by Garmin Ireland, through our shop.

Just like you folks, we're frustrated by the amount of returns and have picked up the Soleus 1.0 as a replacement GPS based watch to give pace, distance and time feedback instead of the Garmin.

Higher end watches with additional features we would still go with Garmin and Polar. If you are including Heart Rate monitoring, then Polar all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MOTOACTV-Sports-Watch-Player/dp/B007C1KKW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343995914&sr=8-1&keywords=motorola+motoactv Is great value for money now as an entry watch and once you do all the s/w updates. A tad big. I have problems with my garmin 610. Was even thinking to moving to polar but I don't like the way they do everything else other than heart rate

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

We've had quite a few warranty returns on the FR110 which have been replaced immediately new for old by Garmin Ireland, through our shop.

Just like you folks, we're frustrated by the amount of returns and have picked up the Soleus 1.0 as a replacement GPS based watch to give pace, distance and time feedback instead of the Garmin.

Higher end watches with additional features we would still go with Garmin and Polar. If you are including Heart Rate monitoring, then Polar all the way.

hi there,
    if I ordered it from a UK website, can I still go to Garmin Ireland with my forerunner? It's less than a month old and has given up teh ghost 2 weeks before my first marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

curr33 wrote: »
    hi there,
    if I ordered it from a UK website, can I still go to Garmin Ireland with my forerunner? It's less than a month old and has given up teh ghost 2 weeks before my first marathon!

All repairs go to the UK (well my last 2 did in the last 2/3 months) warranty is honored worldwide like it is for most portable electronics. I bought my 610 from amazon.com but garmin uk replaced it. Hope this helps. It takes 5 days to send out a replacement so I would ring them in the morning if I was you as the 3 days or so it will take to get there will mean that you are cutting it very fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

rom wrote: »
    All repairs go to the UK (well my last 2 did in the last 2/3 months) warranty is honored worldwide like it is for most portable electronics. I bought my 610 from amazon.com but garmin uk replaced it. Hope this helps. It takes 5 days to send out a replacement so I would ring them in the morning if I was you as the 3 days or so it will take to get there will mean that you are cutting it very fine.

Thanks Rom,
    called them this morning, got a reference number and posted it this afternoon. Fingers crossed it will be a speedy process as I did tell them how urgent it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Willie_Power

There seems to be some condensation on the inside of the face of mine, not really effecting the functionality of it but I'm a little worried in case its the start of bigger probs, it has never been used in water and never out in more than a light shower. I got it in Argos in July, anyone recommend the best course of action or am I worrying over nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

leave it overnight in a lunchbox of rice

Advertisement