Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I wish to God I could smuggle stuff out.

Unfortunately for me, my mother knows exactly what's in the junk room.

She might look in the wrong box for the photos or whatever but she'll be able to tell you what is up there.

I know there's saucepans, furnitre, china sets, cutlery sets, candles, photo frames, CDs, DVDs, lamps, old non working tv, stereo set, mats/rugs/carpets, photos, a couple of toilet cleaning sets (brushes, holder etc), a scanner, two clothes horses, vases, mirrors, my pool table from when I was a kid, luggage.

That's probably only a quarter of what is up there. I guarantee you, you go up and root through everything that list will be ten times longer.

:eek: :eek:
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    Just for that, if I am pregnant, I'm going to give daily updates of the wonders of pregnancy. In graphic detail.

Here's a taster.
    Cervical mucous has an egg-white consistency

Really really really wish I hadn't unspoilered that! :eek:

Quick question for people, are those BMI calculator things really that realistic?? According to mine I should be just over 8 and a half stone.. :( My target was ten so maybe I should aim lower..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

BMI doesn't take into account any muscle you might have. It would class some rugby players as obsese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

BMI doesn't take into account any muscle you might have. It would class some rugby players as obsese.

For the average person (i.e. a non-athlete) it's a fairly good indicator, though.

What height are you, Jane?

Honey-ec wrote: »
    For the average person (i.e. a non-athlete) it's a fairly good indicator, though.

What height are you, Jane?

I'm 4ft 11. I know I'm too heavy for my height, I just didn't think I was that heavy. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Your weight should be 8.5 stone - thats way too specific Jane!

I'd say calculate your BMI yourself - its your weight in KG divided by your height in centimetres squared. For non athletes, its a fairly okay indicator. Anywhere between 19 and 25 you are classed as normal

• Advertisement

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I'm 4ft 11. I know I'm too heavy for my height, I just didn't think I was that heavy. :(

Hmm, around 8.5 - 9 stone sounds about right, in that case. Obviously BMI isn't the be-all-and-end-all but like I said, it's a fairly good weathervane for the mere mortals among us.

However, what I would be saying is not to get *too* hung up on achieving a golden number on the scales or on the BMI chart. If you set yourself an initial goal of 10 stone, stick with that. Do your best, realise that you'll have off-days and bad weeks, and when you get to 10 stone, reassess then. See how you feel. Decide if you're happy with how you look. Check your BMI then. And then, if you feel like it, you could always try and keep going to get to the 8.5 stone/BMI you'd like. Just don't take too much on yourself at the outset or you'll be setting yourself up for failure.

Your weight should be 8.5 stone - thats way too specific Jane!

I'd say calculate your BMI yourself - its your weight in KG divided by your height in centimetres squared. For non athletes, its a fairly okay indicator. Anywhere between 19 and 25 you are classed as normal

My first weight watchers target when I started about 6 years ago was just under ten stone so I thought ten stone would be okay.

I had to convert both my height and my weight and I can't work it out... :o

well i have to say despite initial awe, the place wasn't great at all
    food was very meh with a high price tag, service was slow and inattentive. had to go up to the bar a couple times to order another thing

the spa!
    well
    :rolleyes:
    we booked:
    Heritage Signature Massage – 1hr 30 mins €140,Full body relaxing hot oil massage, includes a soothing scalp & foot massage and up to 3 hours relaxing in The Heritage Spa Experience before or after your massage.

Got the massage
    asked where to go for the spa experience
    "oh no miss that was just the massage you booked, you'd have to pay 40 euro for the spa experience"
    "eh no it says it's included on the website"
    ":confused:"

get dressed, find the above quote on my phone on their website, show it to her
    she rings up the hotel proper "hello the website says the spa exp is included but i never heard of that before did you" etc
    no, computer says no
    so i said "look we would not have booked this if we didn't think we were getting the 3 hours thing, because we could have gone for another hour massage much cheaper"
    computer says no, very sorry for the mixup, etc etc
    :rolleyes:
    we got a discount on the deal anyway down to 119 (because of the voucher we had, not as a goodwill gesture) but i will never be going back there again
    which was a pity, because up until then the spa was getting good points from us

off to write a bad review on tripadvisor

go to the radisson in cavan instead, much nicer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hmm, around 8.5 - 9 stone sounds about right, in that case. Obviously BMI isn't the be-all-and-end-all but like I said, it's a fairly good weathervane for the mere mortals among us.

However, what I would be saying is not to get *too* hung up on achieving a golden number on the scales or on the BMI chart. If you set yourself an initial goal of 10 stone, stick with that. Do your best, realise that you'll have off-days and bad weeks, and when you get to 10 stone, reassess then. See how you feel. Decide if you're happy with how you look. Check your BMI then. And then, if you feel like it, you could always try and keep going to get to the 8.5 stone/BMI you'd like. Just don't take too much on yourself at the outset or you'll be setting yourself up for failure.

8.5 stone would give a BMI of 24.03, 9 stone would give a BMI of 25.44, 10 stone would give a BMI of 28.27 - which is classed as overweight for your height

As Honey said, get to your target, and then follow the two points I have in bold. Weight is just a number - its how you feel and how you feel you look is the most important thing. Life is too short to be worrying about numbers the whole time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

My weightwatchers target was 9st 5 I think and I'm 5'4/5'5.

• Advertisement

Polloloca wrote: »
    My weightwatchers target was 9st 5 I think and I'm 5'4/5'5.

this is pure procrastination, and I'm doing the calculation on the back of an old envelope, but that would have given you a BMI of 21.79 taking height as 5'5 :o

Weight Watchers will initially set you a target of 5% of your body weight, then 10%, then your final goal weight, so the initial target weight they give you isn't necessarily your "ideal" healthy weight.

But the reason they do it like that is to A) make sure people lose the weight in a sustainable manner and B) not to freak people out with what can seem initially like an unattainable target. Slow and steady wins the race, folks!

8.5 stone would give a BMI of 24.03, 9 stone would give a BMI of 25.44, 10 stone would give a BMI of 28.27 - which is classed as overweight for your height

As Honey said, get to your target, and then follow the two points I have in bold. Weight is just a number - its how you feel and how you feel you look is the most important thing. Life is too short to be worrying about numbers the whole time!

Thanks guys. I'm 12st 6 and I'm 4ft 11, I know it's way too much for my height and my confidence is actually quite loq the moment, sometimes I can't look in the mirror. I'd be happy enough if I just lost my tummy tbh because all my excess weight seems to be around my middle. I'll just have to stick at it and lose it slowly like last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

this is pure procrastination, and I'm doing the calculation on the back of an old envelope, but that would have given you a BMI of 21.79 taking height as 5'5 :o

I'm currently panned out like an aged dog in bed right now but I'll get up in a few minutes and look. :D it was definately 9 something though.

bluewolf wrote: »
    well i have to say despite initial awe, the place wasn't great at allwe got a discount on the deal anyway down to 119 (because of the voucher we had, not as a goodwill gesture) but i will never be going back there again
    which was a pity, because up until then the spa was getting good points from us

off to write a bad review on tripadvisor

go to the radisson in cavan instead, much nicer

Well now I'm glad I stole a robe out of the spa the last time I was there!

Thanks guys. I'm 12st 6 and I'm 4ft 11, I know it's way too much for my height and my confidence is actually quite loq the moment, sometimes I can't look in the mirror. I'd be happy enough if I just lost my tummy tbh because all my excess weight seems to be around my middle. I'll just have to stick at it and lose it slowly like last time.

Losing it slowly is the best way! Stick at it, and it will happen - we'll be here to keep giving you inspiration!

Polloloca wrote: »
    I'm currently panned out like an aged dog in bed right now but I'll get up in a few minutes and look. :D it was definately 9 something though.

I've gotta get going now - washing up, ironing and must wash and dry hair before 6.15, leaving for a meeting then. Wish I had started thing earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Sooooo frustrated at the moment. I have got a placed on a medical secretary course if I can just get a placement for 10 weeks next April. I have been ringing around all day with no luck :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Waiting for the phone to ring is the worst! Through some banking catastrophe, the travel company we booked our hols with was able to book and take payment for our hotel and transfers but not the actual flights - and never bothered to mention it until I got in touch with them today.
    Waiting for a call back now so I can pay for the flights, and I'm convinced they're going to say the price has gone up since we made our booking. Cmonnnn call me!

My boyfriend is a saint. Me moping around, bitching and bollicking at him because I was in a bad mood over the flight mess-up (which was my mistake, I might add), and he calmly takes the phone, rebooks the flights, gets a booking confirmation to my inbox and generally just gets our holiday back in track in about two minutes. A goddamn saint, I tells ya! (Also holidays, yay! :pac:)

Oh this knitting is getting confusing.. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm in a strange mood, and for that reason I played the "Hula hoop" Wii Fit game (we'll ignore the fact that I no longer have a Wii console.. so basically I was just hula hooping with no Wii and no hula hoop...) - it really does work the core muscles, doesn't it.. :o

:D

I'm in a strange mood, and for that reason I played the "Hula hoop" Wii Fit game (we'll ignore the fact that I no longer have a Wii console.. so basically I was just hula hooping with no Wii and no hula hoop...) - it really does work the core muscles, doesn't it.. :o

:D

I can just imagine it! :D

Someone please take this laptop off me, I'm going to get nothing done :o:o

Well now I'm glad I stole a robe out of the spa the last time I was there!

"if you would like to purchase these robes they are 60 euro
    if we find a robe missing from your room you will be charged"

60 euro for a fcukin dressing gown fcuk off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I would ring the reception as soon as I got their and say 'I was never left a robe''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

Lucyfur wrote: »
    Well. Ya see. We were in the pub and he chaperoned me home and my skirt FELL OFF, fooking penneys sh0ite, and then, he fell on top of me and now I'm pregnant.

G'wan, I dare ya:pac:

Jaysus I misread this, and thought you were saying you're preggers! Moar babies! :D
    Novella wrote: »
    almostnever has closed her account too. :(:(:(

Aw no, I liked almostnever. Hopefully she might come back in another carnation if she wants to.
    javagal wrote: »
    nothing Will move her!nothing!

i have christened her snorlax baby.

had contractions earlier on for like an hour,then they stopped.
    so i ate two crunchies

Best of luck with the bean! Hope it all goes well :)
    Novella wrote: »
    I don't mind hearing about those gross pregnancy related things 'cause I'm all un-pregnant and stuff. :)

Me either, I actually find pregnancy fascinating. I'm not sure if I could do it myself but it's really interesting!
    I got to see my friend and her baby yesterday, it amazes how big they grow in such a short space of time :eek:

I've had a super busy weekend, the feile was on, so work was mental. I haz a tired - nothing to do with going out last night then getting up at 8am to visit the boyfriend :p

That's why I took it from the Spa and not the bedroom! Dunno if they've changed it now but when I was there you just threw your robe into a big wicker trunk when you were leaving so they'd no way of telling who had given back what.

Not that I condone theft in any way, shape or form, you understand...

oh my new boots arrived and they're lovely, thumbs up

enough german homework done, time to run to class

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I got a placement Yippee!!!!! I just got a phonecall to offer me a placement, I am chuffed to bits *does a happy dance* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

ellieh1 wrote: »
    I got a placement Yippee!!!!! I just got a phonecall to offer me a placement, I am chuffed to bits *does a happy dance* :D

Yay, that's great news! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Jane I was 12 stone 6 and I've lost 2 stone since x mas, I haven't lost any real weight in 2 or so months, I'm 10 stone 5 now. I'm 5 foot 4.5. It was hard work and harder work lies ahead as I'm nit shifting the last stone. I did a diy job I didn't go to weight watchers. I'm happy enough with my body but wish the belly was flatter. I'm still walking and ran 1 k and walked 5.5 k yesterday. I'm at kickboxing tomorrow. It's not just about diet once you lose the 1st stone oR your first dress size you really do feel much better.

Pm me if you need support or motivation. And post up before and after pics, mine are on already...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement