Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

coco_lola wrote: »
    Were you just watching the news about Lonesome George?!

I want a tortoise too! I'd name him Nedward.
    :o Yes. :D

Nedward and speedy can get married and have twin tortoises named Snedward. Their shells will Stand up really high and they'll be like totally awesome. Omg. Ect.

And everyone will hate speedy and nedward forever as tortoises never die, well, not for a long time anyway.

Rip lonesome george

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Polloloca wrote: »
    tortoises never die, well, not for a long time anyway.

Oh god. That's a big commitment. I don't know how I feel about that.

RUN AWAAAAYYYYYYY

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rafaella

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I actually didn't know that. :o I just had a look though and there's none in his town, nearest is probably Athlone. I'll try Portlaoise and Athy maybe. The one here where I live is on Tuesdays at 7pm.

Hi Jane,

I was just checking out my own BMI when I saw your post. This site is great for checking http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    I think you said your weight was 12 stone 6 pounds and your height is 4'11' that would give you a BMI of 35.1. My cousins lost over four stone with weight watchers and it really worked for her, she gained some of the weight back recently but the programme seemed quite simple to follow. The BMI is good for guidelines but I wouldn't worry too much, for example my BMI is 18 which is classed as 'underweight' even though I'm a healthy size 8. Once your eating healthily and exercising you will lose weight. Wishing you the best of luck :)

Great thread by the way :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

awec wrote: »
    Running is too slow and too boring!

I used to think that but I've kinda got into it now!

came home starving as i hadnt had lunch or dinner (had an icecream cone and snickers. I'M HEALTHY I SWEAR was just on the go all day) and grans had made pancakes
    i may or may not have just eaten a ton of them

as for WW it wouldn't be for me at all, i went to a few meetings before years and years ago and it was all processed sugary nonsense (yes like pancakes)
    i think it depends on what works for you though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is that good?!

Yes considering I can only run about 2km in 20-25 mins and I've been running for 2yrs,I must improve :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Yes considering I can only run about 2km in 20-25 mins and I've been running for 2yrs,I must improve :o

I walk 2km in 20-25 minutes :p

Mind you, I think I'd die if I tried to run it.. :o:(

We should all go running together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Can I dump someone for being too stupid to make a sandwich?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I second this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Shin Splints means no running on hard ground for long periods for me :(

I'm once again back to being a running noob but i'd love to run again if i had time :(

maybe when german is over

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Shin Splints means no running on hard ground for long periods for me :(

I have shin splints too, I just run very light on my feet and run mostly on grass tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

We'd have to divide into slow-poke and fast-poke groups though. I'm not running with you and your 8km in 45 minutes! (*dies just thinking about it*) :eek: :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I walk 2km in 20-25 minutes :p

ya go on rub it in why don't ya :P

Im not going running again until.I get paid because I need proper runners, ill only hurt myself!

We'd have to divide into slow-poke and fast-poke groups though. I'm not running with you and your 8km in 45 minutes! (*dies just thinking about it*) :eek: :o

Well I'd had a very bad day and was listening to some very fast music, and was running on my own! If we're running in a group we could all find a middle ground, I'm just happy to run :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Can I dump someone for being too stupid to make a sandwich?? :p

He's doing it on purpose. It's a manfolk trick, they do it so you won't ask them to do it again. Tell him it was aaammmmmmmaaaaazzzzzzzing and you can't wait for the next one he makes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I've discovered the joy of proper walking shoes from working in a hiking shop, and ever since can't wear crap shoes, so need to get better runners than what I have! (And a good sports bra)

I'd be up for joining the slowpoke group!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I got pretty fit and was running a good bit last year, until assignments got in the way and then the dieting got out of hand so I had no energy. I'd love to restore those fitness levels but I'm scared to see how much I've regressed.

If anyone in Dublin would be interested in a running buddy from September, I could do with some motivation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Jane, totally unasked for advice here again, but....

I hate weightwatchers. €10 a week and then you have to pay 5 quid if you don't /can't go? What a joke! Save your €10 a week and use it to buy good exercise gear or buy your own healthy foods so you don't have to live by what your mum is cooking.

€40 a month will get you a gym membership, if you're lucky, you should be able to find a gym that will give discount membership for the unemployed and if it's a bit away from you, even better you can jog or cycle.
    2 months of weightwatchers fees will get you a decent pair of runners. Go out and run. Seriously, if you're embarrassed about your size, set your alarm and get up at 6:30 you'll be home by 7/7:30 and no one will see you and anyone that does will think you're awesome for a)being up that early and b)being out exercising. Not only will it be a big improvement to your health but it'll give you something to get up for every morning, get you into bed earlier and help regulate your sleep patterns(don't mean to sound like a stalker but this is just stuff I've picked up from these threads).

Once you're exercising every day you'll be inspired to eat better. If you go out for a run every (other) morning, when you get in have eggs for breakfast and ONE slice of toast max. Drink lots of water to help keep you hydrated for tomorrow. Eat fruit and veg and quality proteins and fats it'll help you get fitter faster.

Seriously. It's easier than it sounds. Just set your mind to it and do it. You'll enjoy your day sooooooo much more when you've started it with a good workout.

When I started running I was on college summer holidays and unemployed, bored out of my trolley every day. One day I got up early, put the dogs on their leads, brought them to the local park and ran around with them. Spent the next four months doing that and less than 5 months later I was running a marathon. Getting up every morning like that and going for a run and starting my day like that took me from feeling down, lonely and ****ty because I was bored and poor to feeling great. I started eating better etc as well. Haven't looked back since. Now running may not be your thing, but find some sort of exercise that is. It doesn't have to cost a lot, €40 for weightwatchers meeting s just seems really excessive. Set your mind to it and you won't need them. You have boards, between here and the health and fitness forum you have way, way, way more for free than what you'd ever get from weighwatchers.

Sorry for the unasked for advice, but seriously, if you ever want any help advice etc feel free to pm me.
    Rafaella wrote: »
    Hi Jane,

I was just checking out my own BMI when I saw your post. This site is great for checking http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    I think you said your weight was 12 stone 6 pounds and your height is 4'11' that would give you a BMI of 35.1. My cousins lost over four stone with weight watchers and it really worked for her, she gained some of the weight back recently but the programme seemed quite simple to follow. The BMI is good for guidelines but I wouldn't worry too much, for example my BMI is 18 which is classed as 'underweight' even though I'm a healthy size 8. Once your eating healthily and exercising you will lose weight. Wishing you the best of luck :)

Great thread by the way :)

I'm not sure if I'm going back. It really worked for me last time so that's the reason why I was considering it. I'll probably just have to do my best with what I have no tbh, not exactly rolling in money.

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

EmilyO wrote: »
    I got pretty fit and was running a good bit last year, until assignments got in the way and then the dieting got out of hand so I had no energy. I'd love to restore those fitness levels but I'm scared to see how much I've regressed.

If anyone in Dublin would be interested in a running buddy from September, I could do with some motivation :D

Defo Emily! PM me when you fancy starting up running, I'll be down Southside by then, not sure where you are :)

Also, you'd be surprised how quick you'd pick up your fitness levels again if you were quite fit before :)

can someone bring me a hotdog with ketchup and mustard please

feck it, make it two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

bluewolf wrote: »
    can someone bring me a hotdog with ketchup and mustard please

feck it, make it two

Want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I ran 7K on the treadmill at the gym this evening. Was EXHAUSTED after it though. Felt ill. I really need to go running everyday now...10K race in 2 1/2 weeks and it's cross country...lotsa hills..so won't be easy.

My brother has to be the only person I know who eats a second dinner after he comes back from the gym because he doesn't think he weighs enough :/ He just came into the sitting room with a massive fry. He just doesn't put on weight...bodyfat was 6% last time he checked...eww!

He's doing it on purpose. It's a manfolk trick, they do it so you won't ask them to do it again. Tell him it was aaammmmmmmaaaaazzzzzzzing and you can't wait for the next one he makes you.

He was making his own and I came into the kitchen and he was just standing there surrounded by salami and I was like 'Sit down before you hurt yourself :pac:'

He has the post holiday blues!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    He was making his own and I came into the kitchen and he was just standing there surrounded by salami and I was like 'Sit down before you hurt yourself :pac:'

Lol....

*retrieves mind from gutter*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Daisies wrote: »
    I used to think that but I've kinda got into it now!
    I find the trick to making it interesting is to have a good route and good music, but mostly a good route.

That said, I've been on a running hiatus for a month :o Genuinely miss being active now :o Bootcamp tomorrow should kickstart the new training regime!

Coco_lola, I'm very jealous of your time! That's amazing!

Hermione* wrote: »
    I find the trick to making it interesting is to have a good route and good music, but mostly a good route.

That said, I've been on a running hiatus for a month :o Genuinely miss being active now :o Bootcamp tomorrow should kickstart the new training regime!

Coco_lola, I'm very jealous of your time! That's amazing!

Thanks Hermione! The bootcamp will really make the difference, as painful as it is, you will feel AMAZING after it!

I love my route, my whole run is by the sea, and there are runners everywhere, so it really motivates me, and the view is so nice! There are concrete and grass tracks which is good to mix it up... And I have my "boom boom boom" music pumping to keep me going (pretty sure everyone around me can hear it too, but meh) :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm going back. It really worked for me last time so that's the reason why I was considering it. I'll probably just have to do my best with what I have no tbh, not exactly rolling in money.

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

Whatever works for you is best for you.

My bf knows a few girls in college that did WW together and they lost loads of weight on it and have kept it off, he sees them at least once a week so he knows. I shared a house with a girl who managed to lose 7 stone through WW before I moved in with her - I remember she was showing me family pics and I asked her why she wasn't in any of the pics, turns out she was I just didn't recognise her.

I think WW is good if you do it properly but in fairness you could say that about any change to your eating habits.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing Jane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement