Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

2 years ago today a stranger saved my Mum's life. Unfortunately, the same time my family and 5 other families were celebrating, her family was planning a funeral. I'll never get to thank her but I'm thinking about her today.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

coco_lola wrote: »
    I have shin splints too, I just run very light on my feet and run mostly on grass tracks

I could only manage short, quick bursts on grass but by the time my toe said, "feck this ****e", I was close to tears just jogging or walking up and down steps. I couldn't even touch my legs coz of the pain. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Not looking for any medical advice here nor am I trying to excuse the fact i'm lazy as hell but a lot of you seem very fit so here's a question:

I have low blood pressure (92/60) not on medication for it, a while ago I joined boxercise which I loved, but was too embarrased to go back after I fainted at one of the classes. I always feel dizzy at the gym too. I'm wondering what exercise would be good for me to take up? Effective but something that won't lower my blood pressure more/make me pass out. I do feck all and feel super lazy and hate feeling like I'm trying to excuse not doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Polloloca wrote: »
    Not looking for any medical advice here nor am I trying to excuse the fact i'm lazy as hell but a lot of you seem very fit so here's a question:

I have low blood pressure (92/60) not on medication for it, a while ago I joined boxercise which I loved, but was too embarrased to go back after I fainted at one of the classes. I always feel dizzy at the gym too. I'm wondering what exercise would be good for me to take up? Effective but something that won't lower my blood pressure more/make me pass out. I do feck all and feel super lazy and hate feeling like I'm trying to excuse not doing anything.

Have you tried yoga or pilates? It's supposed to be brilliant, but I'd be too impatient for it :)

You'd need to be gentle in the positions though, especially if your head is facing down for them..

(No dirty minds here people... Kiera I'm talking to you :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

How about swimming? It's a lot gentler than running or boxercise or something high-impact, and works ALL the muscles!

• Advertisement

I'm really bad at swimming! My brother tried to drown me when we were kids, I've tried learn how to swim since but can't bear my head being emerged in water. I can float and swim a little bit but not nearly enough for me to justify it as exercise. I guess I could try aqua aerobics again. The main reason I loved that was because it was full of aul ones and I was the fittest/youngest one in the pool. Shameful!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Have you tried yoga or pilates? It's supposed to be brilliant, but I'd be too impatient for it :)
    Pilates is actually a very fast-moving class, you'd have little time for feeling impatient at it! Some yoga styles are also very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ahhhh work!

Polloloca, I have low blood pressure too (not as low as yours though), maybe something like contemporary dance or pilates? Both good workouts but they won't stress your system too much. Once you get better at regulating your breathing and have a better level of fitness, you will probably find it easier at the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Yeah, I've tried yoga and pilates, yoga could be okay depending on the type but I reckon if you're prone to dizziness pilates wouldn't be the best move, there are repeated movement things that made me a little disorientated once or twice, and I don't have low blood pressure. Be worth asking in your local gym though possibly?

• Advertisement

I've tried the gym so many times, stepped off the treadmill, white dots flashing in my eyes and feeling like I was about to KO. I find solo exercise boring and I do give up. I loved loved loved boxercise, but don't have the nerve to go back, as it is a small class and I know they will remember me as the girl who panned out. Will definately look into pilates and yoga though.

I've tried the gym so many times, stepped off the treadmill, white dots flashing in my eyes and feeling like I was about to KO. I find solo exercise boring and I do give up. I loved loved loved boxercise, but don't have the nerve to go back, as it is a small class and I know they will remember me as the girl who panned out. Will definately look into pilates and yoga though.

I think yoga could be the way to go. Have you had a chat with your doctor about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    2 years ago today a stranger saved my Mum's life. Unfortunately, the same time my family and 5 other families were celebrating, her family was planning a funeral. I'll never get to thank her but I'm thinking about her today.
    :)

Donor?

That's awesome tbh :)

I think I've carried a donor card with me since I was about 14, I'm still way too nervous to give blood but I know if I got hit by a bus in the morning there'd be some good out of it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm running in the 2170s at the moment, really like them. They're down to €85 in Lifestyle now too if you're looking for a deal.

Currently on a Cork to Dublin bus and kicking myself for not spending the extra for the train... Almost 3 hours of toiletless misery ahead. :(

I've the Kayano 17's - bought a second pair over the weekend, cos they are so comfortable. 3 hours stuck in a bus is my idea of hell - do they not stop in some spot anymore??

Home from the meeting at half ten -very early!

Anyone else not getting email notifications?? I'm definitely not, and its a bit annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've the Kayano 17's - bought a second pair over the weekend, cos they are so comfortable.
    Where? I had 4 pairs of them, loved them... bought a 5th pair when I was away and it turned out to be a dud pair. Crushing disappointment. The 18 is a bit ****, I've found.

Not my GP, no. You could be going into him with your leg hanging off and he would write a script for anti biotics :D lovely man though. I don't think he has ever checked my BP. I have severe anemia (which probably explains the low bp) and they keep an eye on my BP in the blood clinic. I will obviously talk to him before I start any exercise, because I can't Afford to be making a scene at any other classes, haha :) but it's good to get people who know what they're talking about to give some good exercise ideas, so thanks!! :)

Not my GP, no. You could be going into him with your leg hanging off and he would write a script for anti biotics :D lovely man though. I don't think he has ever checked my BP. I have severe anemia (which probably explains the low bp) and they keep an eye on my BP in the blood clinic. I will obviously talk to him before I start any exercise, because I can't Afford to be making a scene at any other classes, haha :) but it's good to get people who know what they're talking about to give some good exercise ideas, so thanks!! :)

I know you're not supposed to give medical advice on here, but I have anemia too, and it is so important to make sure that you look after yourself and get a good diet. If I were you, I would look to a different doctor, maybe even a female one.

I used to have a doctor who asked me was I "sexually active" every time I went to her with an ailment. She did a pregnancy test when I went in complaining of chest pains... For real :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Where? I had 4 pairs of them, loved them... bought a 5th pair when I was away and it turned out to be a dud pair. Crushing disappointment. The 18 is a bit ****, I've found.

Lifestyle - had them on sale for €75. It was the mens shoe I bought rather than the womens, blue pair of them, delighted. Mother thought I was mad buying a pair of runners for €75, but they've made a huge difference, and help my ankle a lot

Still can't figure out why I'm not getting instant email notifications :(:(

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I'm still way too nervous to give blood but I know if I got hit by a bus in the morning there'd be some good out of it :)
    Sorry, that made me laugh.

Yes, it was a donor. I was on my j1 in fecking San Diego (pretty much as far away as I could physically get) and I got this uber-chill text from mum going "by the way, got a kidney. Going into surgery now. Bye."

I was like :eek:.

Edit: the donor cards are great but they're useless without your family's consent. Make sure they know your wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I used to have a doctor who asked me was I "sexually active" every time I went to her with an ailment. She did a pregnancy test when I went in complaining of chest pains... For real :P

maybe she thought you had an alien growing in your chest and just wanted to be sure :pac:

started watching Sherlock on netflix, really enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I used to have a doctor who asked me was I "sexually active" every time I went to her with an ailment.

Same! It was so ridiculous I changed GP!!
    Sorry, that made me laugh.

Yes, it was a donor. I was on my j1 in fecking San Diego (pretty much as far away as I could physically get) and I got this uber-chill text from mum going "by the way, got a kidney. Going into surgery now. Bye."

I was like :eek:.

Edit: the donor cards are great but they're useless without your family's consent. Make sure they know your wishes.

Your mam sounds awesome :D :pac:

Yeah, it was actually down to my Mam that I have one. She's had one in her purse for over 30 years, she even carries the old one that's just kidneys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I've discovered the joy of proper walking shoes from working in a hiking shop, and ever since can't wear crap shoes, so need to get better runners than what I have! (And a good sports bra)

I'd be up for joining the slowpoke group!

Me too! We can start the Cork division :D

I know you're not supposed to give medical advice on here, but I have anemia too, and it is so important to make sure that you look after yourself and get a good diet. If I were you, I would look to a different doctor, maybe even a female one.

Yeah the blood doctor gave out to me the last day at her clinic for not eating proper meat or green vegetables. I promised her I would eat the vegetables but not the meat. I know my dr sounds useless but he is lovely. The kind of person who genuinely seems to care when they ask you how things are going in your life. I find women drs to be unnessessarily nosey/aggressive. Would feel weird going to one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Laps of the Lough would be so much better with other people to save me from the swans...

Laps of the Lough would be so much better with other people to save me from the swans...

I can imagine you under attack from a load of swans now - and someone wearing a boards.ie superman like costume coming in to save you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Its a genuine fear! Even when I was doing c25k, the damn thing would go to "walk" when I approached them, so I'd sprint to past them and then walk...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Yeah the blood doctor gave out to me the last day at her clinic for not eating proper meat or green vegetables. I promised her I would eat the vegetables but not the meat. I know my dr sounds useless but he is lovely. The kind of person who genuinely seems to care when they ask you how things are going in your life. I find women drs to be unnessessarily nosey/aggressive. Would feel weird going to one!

I have low blood pressure and low iron too. Find it very hard to get my iron levels up! I don't think I've ever had a blood test where my iron was normal. Same with my blood pressure.

It's weird though I've never found exercising a problem. Nor do I ever feel sick or tired or lightheaded or anything like that...:o Maybe this is the way I am supposed to be!

Swans are actually pretty dangerous. (I know how ridiculous that sounds).

You're there like "you guys are so beautiful, so majestic, so-"

THWACK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

So Lips has decided to cut me out of his life completely. This is bacause he told me I did not have his permission to be friends with someone he introduced me to and I basically told him to fuck off. In nicer terms. Slightly. So yeah, he had the crazy for sure.

• Advertisement

Swans are actually pretty dangerous. (I know how ridiculous that sounds).

You're there like "you guys are so beautiful, so majestic, so-"

THWACK.

Hit by a bus?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement