Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I never work on my birthday cause You kno what they say... It's not all day drinking unless you start in the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

But like if all your friends/family are at work if your birthday is a Wednesday or something what's the point?

you can sit at home and feel special! with cake!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Acoshla wrote: »
    Why though?

Why not? It's nice to have that day off. Whether you do anything for it or not or it means anything to you it's still nice to know you don't have to go in that day. Why not go to work on christmas day?
    But like if all your friends/family are at work if your birthday is a Wednesday or something what's the point?

Who says you're taking it off to celebrate. You're taking it off so you don't have to go to work. I usually go for a 15 mile run for my birthday. Each to their own like. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

My birthday is in the summer so I usually take a week off and go somewhere and try to forget that I am getting older :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Not well today. My ovaries hate me....:(

Two panadol and codine tablets, a mug of green tea, two squares of dark chocolate,a litre of water and an apple haven't helped...

*curls up in bed*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

kate.m wrote: »
    Two panadol and codine tablets, a mug of green tea, two squares of dark chocolate,a litre of water and an apple haven't helped...

*curls up in bed*

Hot water bottle!

It just never occurred to me to want to do it if it's a week day, I usually organise whatever plans I have to the weekend closest, day out, dinner, night out, etc. I don't go to work Christmas Day because my family are all around, on the actual day of my birthday everyone is usually at work (5 years out of every 7 anyway!). Not trying to get at anyone, just interested really, I didn't think anybody begrudged working on their birthday once they were out of college etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Hot water bottle!

Don't have one, I have an electric blanket on my stomach and it's not really helping. I keep going from being really warm to having the chills.

My brother came in to ask me something earlier and I may have growled at him. :o

It just never occurred to me to want to do it if it's a week day, I usually organise whatever plans I have to the weekend closest, day out, dinner, night out, etc. I don't go to work Christmas Day because my family are all around, on the actual day of my birthday everyone is usually at work (5 years out of every 7 anyway!). Not trying to get at anyone, just interested really, I didn't think anybody begrudged working on their birthday once they were out of college etc.

stop oppressing me :mad:

• Advertisement

Dunno what it is but I'd be seriously miserable at work. It's still a teeny bit 'special' I guess. That and I do be miserable enough as it is on my birthday without being in work as well. :pac:

Maybe working in retail I got so used to having no choice of days off that I just gave up any hopes of taking my birthday off :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I just think birthdays are the biggest non-event ever. Which means I tend to forget about them quite a lot, which has caused no end of friction with family members over the years. I'm just like "Meh, it's just another day."

I was 30 this year and didn't want a party, or a weekend away, or anything of the sort. My sisters in particular could not get their heads around this. They eventually got me to agree to dinner with the family, but I still think they were more excited about it than I was.

I think I'd take a day off for my birthday even if it's just to avoid having to restrain myself from going "it's my birthday!" to anyone who'd listen :o

I get inexplicably giddy on my birthday. It's usually cured by someone asking me how old I am, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Does anybody know about animal rescue in the Laois area? There's a gorgeous greyhound wandering around my work since Friday. I'm worried that he's hungry and wet and cold and I'm reluctant to call the pound because i don't want to be the reason he's destroyed but it's breaking my heart seeing him. If anyone has any info on what I could do please let me know

Polloloca wrote: »
    Does anybody know about animal rescue in the Laois area? There's a gorgeous greyhound wandering around my work since Friday. I'm worried that he's hungry and wet and cold and I'm reluctant to call the pound because i don't want to be the reason he's destroyed but it's breaking my heart seeing him. If anyone has any info on what I could do please let me know

Laois SPCA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My birthday's on a Wednesday this year, I don't mind working 'cos we always do tea & cake in the office for birthdays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Why not go to work on christmas day.

Just a thought on working on days you consider special. Can't even remember who we were with or what we were talking about but someone mentioned working a half day on Christmas Day and he was getting a fortune for it. Himself said not a hope would I do it for any money and the friend said how much he was making for the half day. Himself said said what if my Dad only lives for another ten years. It seems like a long time but that's only ten more Christmas days. I can't put a price on that.

It's one of the nicest things I've ever heard him say.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I just think birthdays are the biggest non-event ever. Which means I tend to forget about them quite a lot, which has caused no end of friction with family members over the years. I'm just like "Meh, it's just another day."

I was 30 this year and didn't want a party, or a weekend away, or anything of the sort. My sisters in particular could not get their heads around this. They eventually got me to agree to dinner with the family, but I still think they were more excited about it than I was.

Yeah Sarah I'm pretty sure I'm going to come in for some grief from boyfriend's family for not staying with them any Christmas, I have no intention of going to theirs for Christmas any time in the next 5 (at least) years, while his sister and her boyfriend alternate years like "normal" people. My boyfriend has no grandparents left, my Grandad is 80 and my Nan is 90, I'm not missing any Christmas Day with my Grandad and my mum while I have a choice in it.

There's actually about 4 or 5 reasons why I won't be going to them for Christmas, which is unfortunate really because I love his family and would love to spend at least one with them, but it's just not possible.

Yeah Sarah I'm pretty sure I'm going to come in for some grief from boyfriend's family for not staying with them any Christmas, I have no intention of going to theirs for Christmas any time in the next 5 (at least) years, while his sister and her boyfriend alternate years like "normal" people. My boyfriend has no grandparents left, my Grandad is 80 and my Nan is 90, I'm not missing any Christmas Day with my Grandad and my mum while I have a choice in it.

There's actually about 4 or 5 reasons why I won't be going to them for Christmas, which is unfortunate really because I love his family and would love to spend at least one with them, but it's just not possible.

Think thats one of the bad things about you both having families who live so far apart. My sister and her hubby are both dubs, while xmas dinner is the thing in our family, his family make a big deal of christmas night. We're not really big drinkers so it means they can split their time with both families. They come to us for dinner and to his family for the nightime when we're all flaked out with TV and books.

• Advertisement

Yeah I envy people SO much who say "Oh we have dinner in my parent's house and then do the 20 minute drive to his for the evening and vice versa", that must be so lovely! I don't see my boyfriend or his family for about a week at Christmas.

There's something funny about their playing Badly Drawn Boy's the Shining out at the Volvo Ocean Race on an extremely wet and miserable day in Galway.

Beautiful song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

So last night after work, I got into my car, turned it on, turned on the lights and my bulbs blew. :( This morning I brought it to a garage just a little bit up the road from my house 'cause changing the bulbs in my car is pretty hard and I thought it was strange that the two blew at the same time. Anyway, the guy who works there plays on the same football team as my brother so he knew who I was. He said he'd sort it out. He dropped me home and told me he'd bring my car back later.

He brought my car back a while ago. New bulbs, all perfect. Didn't ring the doorbell, just posted my keys in the letterbox. So I rang him to ask how much I owed him and he said, "Don't worry about it, it was no trouble". I said no, that I had to give him something for helping me out but he wouldn't hear of it at all, was adamant he didn't want any money. What a nice guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Oh dear.. I'm a little bit creeped out.. My weird aunt just liked a BBW website on Facebook.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Just a thought on working on days you consider special. Can't even remember who we were with or what we were talking about but someone mentioned working a half day on Christmas Day and he was getting a fortune for it. Himself said not a hope would I do it for any money and the friend said how much he was making for the half day. Himself said said what if my Dad only lives for another ten years. It seems like a long time but that's only ten more Christmas days. I can't put a price on that.

It's one of the nicest things I've ever heard him say.

I've worked Christmas eve and days, new years eve and day,nearly every paddys day, birthdays etc etc only time I always try get a few days off is Halloween, cos its my favourite time of year and I'm a giant child :pac:

I could never work Christmas Day, I quit a job once because I couldn't have Christmas Eve off. I'm p*ssed off enough that I have to leave home on the 27th for a wedding on the 28th, I'll miss my family, and my gorgeous Godson :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm in tears watching this, fantastic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Oh dear.. I'm a little bit creeped out.. My weird aunt just liked a BBW website on Facebook.. :o

Big girls need luvvin too:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

work gave me the weirdest hours for the sales next week

7pm to 11pm then 6am to 10am!! I may not survive that week >.>

• Advertisement

Pixie that's crazy hours! I did 3-11 and 7-3 twice in a petrol station, never again!

Our kitten has been sitting in the hall crying nearly all day, minus breaking for naps every few hours. She is just sitting, staring at the wall, crying, for an hour at a time. She's perfectly healthy, fed, watered, clean litter tray, no idea what's wrong with her. I'm assuming communicating with demons or something, but it sounds so sad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement