Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    @Lucyfur - Even with the grant I don't think I could afford it. If I could get the grant with something else to help me along I could scrape by but AFAIK you can't get both BTEA and a grant at the same time. :(

As far as I know you're right Jane. My bf is back to college in September and before he took a year out to start his business he was entitled to both the grant and BTEA but he has been told it's one or the other now.

White bread is horrible. You can't beat a lovely homemade loaf of brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Started reading Fifty Shades of Grey last night, want to throttle Ana within a few pages....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

@Lucyfur - Even with the grant I don't think I could afford it. If I could get the grant with something else to help me along I could scrape by but AFAIK you can't get both BTEA and a grant at the same time. :(

That sucks. Clutching at straws but does the college offer any kind of bursary or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

@pixiebean - my bf was the same, he did a course a couple of years ago and got both but that's changed.

@Dolorous - I'm not sure about that. I'm applying for the grant anyway and I'm going to try talk to someone about it all. The grant is about 3000 but I'd say that will barely cover accommodation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Someone on Facebook has just liked my cousins photo. His surname is Fagg0ter. I lol'd. So immature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Trying to write a 'thank you' letter without sounding like a crazy, infatuated stalker is proving slightly challenging for me today. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Albection wrote: »
    Trying to write a 'thank you' letter without sounding like a crazy, infatuated stalker is proving slightly challenging for me today. :o

I've just written two thank you cards to lecturers; one was my supervisor, the other is the lecturer of the subject I plan to do my masters on - and I've dealt with them a lot with stuff over the last three years.... they start to get a bit gushy, which is bad, but like, I couldn't properly get the "You were incredible, thank you so much" out eloquently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

@pixiebean - my bf was the same, he did a course a couple of years ago and got both but that's changed.

@Dolorous - I'm not sure about that. I'm applying for the grant anyway and I'm going to try talk to someone about it all. The grant is about 3000 but I'd say that will barely cover accommodation.

Bear in mind as well Jane that there could be significant delays with a grant.

For my boyfriend's first year in college he didn't get the first installment of his grant until the end of January, nearly 4 months after he had started his course. His second year he didn't get the first installment of his grant until the end of November, nearly 2 months after he had started his course (I think once you've been through the system once things speed up). So just bear this in mind if you'll be relying it for accommodation as there aren't too many understanding landlords out there. You also don't want extra stress of waiting on the grant etc. when you should be concentrating on college.

Would you consider the BTEA?

In addition to your weekly BTEA payment, you also get an annual Cost of Education Allowance, paid at the start of each academic year.

In Budget 2012 changes were announced to the Cost of Education Allowance. The Cost of Education Allowance will reduce from €500 to €300. (2012)

Since September 2010, students entering a new course who are in receipt of the BTEA are no longer eligible for a maintenance grant. Such students can, however, apply under the student grant scheme to have the student contribution charge and any tuition fees payable for the course paid on their behalf.

that plus a part time job you'd be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Lucyfur wrote: »
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel-popup/sevenkittens

Been looking at this all morning. I want the little grey kitten. He is so adorably cute and so very dopey:D

I've been watching for the last hour waiting for them to wake up :D Is it possible to be broody for kittens?? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've been watching for the last hour waiting for them to wake up :DIs it possible to be broody for kittens?? :pac:

I always say if I could have kittens I'd have about 15 by now :)

ye could be like the dr who episode with the cat dude and the woman having baby kits

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Having kittens wouldn't hurt as much either but if the cat rape spot noises by my window is anything to go by, they aren't as much fun to make.

Two words: barbed penis. Cats have 'em.

Edit: That's probably a BS rumour I heard actually

Dolorous wrote: »
    Two words: barbed penis. Cats have 'em.

Edit: That's probably a BS rumour I heard actually

*googles cat penis*

Holy Christ. :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UVw7cgv36A

also, 100 times a day? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

@Dolorous - that's actually true about cats. That's why the female makes so much noise when they're mating because it's painful. Cats are induced ovulators so the pain actually triggers ovulation as far as I remember from my reproduction notes.. :o

Thanks to everyone giving me advice re grants and stuff. I think I'm going to have to do some reading into it and decide if BTEA or a grant would be more suitable.

Cats can have a heap of babies at the same time with different daddies. It's cute watching the mommy cat carry the babies in her mouth though.

I remember when the local stray was in heat, her milkshake brought all the boys to the yard as there were tomcats everywhere.

Polloloca wrote: »
    Cats can have a heap of babies at the same time with different daddies. It's cute watching the mommy cat carry the babies in her mouth though.

When our last dog was a pup she killed a kitten. My parents have always told the story that the mother ATE the dead kitten. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah we reckon outside our house is swarming with them at the mo, the kitten likes to sit at the window now practically howling about her fertility :pac: Luckily the only boy cat here is spayed...thank God because I would never say no to having a million kittens from the two of them.

Edit: Lots of cats/big cats/animals eat their dead babies, nutrients for them, and predators might smell them and come get the live ones.

There's a wild cat on our farm that hides everytime she sees people and actually hisses and spits at me when I'm feeding her even though she knows I've never tried touch her.

Well the boycats are dropping their milkshake all over her, the hussy. If she was human shed have the country broke with social welfare she pops out that many of them so you get your arms torn to shreds trying to catch these kittens, who are almost as vicious as their mom. Can't catch her to have her spayed and all the other girl cats (2) we have are. Each time there's more kittens, my dad threathens to shoot her. (my dad would never shoot her. He's a big softie and wouldn't even kill a spider). She's been doing it for about 4 yrs and hasn't been shot yet so it's safe to say she won't be.

could you get a giant net and throw it on her

When our last dog was a pup she killed a kitten. My parents have always told the story that the mother ATE the dead kitten. :eek:

Pigs do that too. The mom pig will kill and eat her young and can attack a person if they tried stop them/rescue the piglets. A lot of boy cats kill kittens as well.

wolves do too if they're starving and can't feed the babies

bluewolf wrote: »
    could you get a giant net and throw it on her

Yeah I guess but it'd be very traumatic for her as she's terrified of people and she would probably destroy you when you try detangle her from the net. Like she's not just a little bit wild Shes a lunatic. Wonder if the vet would give a sedetive That we could mix with her food or something because I'm quite fond of having two eyes and all 5 layers of skin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Well the Hunky Dreamboat is coming to play tag with me tonight, so he can't be that put out by the whole blogging thing...

*does a little dance*

• Registered Users Posts: 31,909 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I went to a Football For All camp today to coach kids with disabilities. An overwhelming sadness came over me at one point. :( Life just is not fair on some people.

On the upside, it's my birthday so I'm going to watch a football match with my sister and then eat some dirty, greasy fast food.

• Advertisement

hotel responded to my awful review asking me to contact them directly

think i will

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement