Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I'm trying to push through the doubts and see if I can do it.

You can absolutely do it. Imagine how you'll feel if you never gave it a shot. I know I've put things off and then life got in the way and they never happened. Think of it as putting yourself first, sure you may be poor for a while but your wellbeing will improve immeasurably :)

Edit: I'm looking at a room in a house at the moment and it's 65 a week. I'm trying to push through the doubts and see if I can do it.

good work jane, you can

remember that the usual 6 months renting rule about rent allowance doesn't seem to apply when you're on btea, so try get them to cover that too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My sister has people calling her on the phone roaring about UB. She works for a completely different bank. A lot of people are ignorant morons.

OMG!!! That's ridiculous!! My bf works in finance too and regularly has people shouting at him. He ALWAYS plays ''good cop'', and tries to help everybody and he still gets roared at:rolleyes:
    My sister and her now hubby went to college, paid rent and bills and saved for a wedding.

Just saying Jane. One of the things that puts me off going back to college is that my hobbies are so expensive and time consuming and I have to weigh up whether I can dedicate myself to college when I'd also have to try work part time and then maybe give up something I love/the one thing that keeps me sane just to give myself better prospects. Even part time college would take up 2 or 3 evenings a week, which is when I train. Not only would I miss training but because I've been so sick there is no way I would have the strength to do full time work + 9 - 12 hours a weeks in college. I struggle now doing 35 hour weeks in work.

I would give ANYTHING to be able to go back. Have wanted to go on ever since I finished college 5 years ago. You have a place in college, you'll get BTEA and you'll get your fees paid for you. The college will help you find affordable accom and the college will help you find part time work. I would love to be in your position.

This is what I'd doing next year. I don't get a grant so I need to work. There's 2 sets of end of year exams and I'm getting married right in the middle. FUN TIAMS \:D/ i r ascared Oh and I'm starting Spanish lessons too...hoping to feic the evenings don't clash, Rosetta Stone courses online cost a freaking bomb!!!

Lads, lighten up on her a wee bit...I know it's frustrating giving advice but ultimately it's her decision x

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

bluewolf wrote: »
    good work jane, you can

remember that the usual 6 months renting rule about rent allowance doesn't seem to apply when you're on btea, so try get them to cover that too

Does that mean I don't have to be living somewhere else for 6 months before I can get it? I'm clueless about these things. Last time I just got a maintenance grant and it just covered somewhere to stay (digs - mother's 'conditions').

I was going to go for the part time option but it costs more in the long run.

Does that mean I don't have to be living somewhere else for 6 months before I can get it? I'm clueless about these things. Last time I just got a maintenance grant and it just covered somewhere to stay (digs - mother's 'conditions').

I think it doesn't apply. you should talk to your CWO and the btea people and find out - it's definitely worth a shot
    However, if you are getting a Back to Education Allowance or participating in the Back to Education Programme you may be entitled to the Supplement.

well even if it doesn't, you'll be ok with 65 a week rent on the 188 income

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62006798&postcount=6

• Advertisement

I think it doesn't apply. you should talk to your CWO and the btea people and find out - it's definitely worth a shot

The highest rent in Athlone that I know of seems to be about 90 euro per week, I think I could probably still do that.

The highest rent in Athlone that I know of seems to be about 90 euro per week, I think I could probably still do that.

and even if the 6 month allowance rule does apply, you'll only have to manage on beans & toast for 6 months, then you'll be ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

and even if the 6 month allowance rule does apply, you'll only have to manage on beans & toast for 6 months, then you'll be ok :)
    Also, beans on toast = the noms!

Course ya could!!

I love budget food shopping:D Tesco online is great and delivery is often cheaper than a taxi. Discount shops are great for washing powder and stuff. Pharmacy's always have shampoo/conditioner on offer and tesco ALWAYS have shower gels/toiletries on offer. In centra the other day, I got 18 rolls of loo roll for €4. €4!!!

We never have the same food in the house week to week. I only buy offers:D

Aldi/Lidl is great for fresh fruit and veg. You can buy that sort of stuff day to day and it means you get out for a walk and you have something to do each day. I'm the kind of person who NEEDS stuff to do, even if it's only small things, I get depressed if there's nothing to do :/

do you use all the pigsback coupons as well lucyfur?

http://pigsback.com/Pages/3/39/218.aspx?pbq=403%2c403%2cVOVTN

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Acoshla wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to attempt to offer a different side to the paying your way through college argument.

I am the single laziest person you will ever come across in life. I only work because I need money, it's the only reason I ever worked at any job, if I won the lotto in the morning you wouldn't see me for dust, I'd be out living it up, I'm not one of these "I'd still work" people. If my mum hadn't put me through college I would never in a million years have worked a part time job and put myself through, I just wouldn't have the drive for that at all. As a result of this I can survive on almost no money, €300 would've easily lasted me a month in college including rent and bus. But I know this about myself, so when I was 24 and realised that 1. I need my own money to live, 2. I am not and never will be willing to do more than a 40-50 hour week (like going to college, studying and working at the same time), 3. Nobody else is going to do it for me so I had to suck it up and come up with the best solution/compromise for me.

You either need to decide you can put in the time and work involved in supporting yourself through college, jump through all the financial/paperwork hoops to try and get as much help with it as you can, or you need to become content with your life the way it is, or you need to come up with hidden option number 3 that only you can help yourself with, no amount of family putting you down or strangers giving advice can help if you don't want to help yourself, trust me on that!

Edit: Funnily enough the course you're considering was what I was thinking of doing when I was at my "crossroads" type yoke a few years ago. Decided I didn't have the kind of commitment needed for that course despite being offered great support from my family and friends, see, you just need to know what you are cut out for.

thats me, if I won the euromillions I'd arrive to an airport with a suitcase and a passport and just go, anywhere. this "oh I'm a millionaire but I'll keep working my sh1tty dayjob" pffffft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

it seems to pay for rent as well
    Which does? The grants or BTEA?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62006798&postcount=6
    I'm not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure you won't get rent allowance while attending college, however, if you have been getting rent allowance before applying for college, you can continue to get it throughout college if you do not earn enough and the BTEA isn't seen as an income.

Part time work etc is seen as an income.

I could be wrong on this, but you can ring your local community welfare officer (CWO) and they will give you all the info. They are usually at the local health clinic, but only on certain days and times so you'd need to either call in or ring and see when they are there.

You can definitely do it Jane, you have to push through those doubts and ignore your parents. I know it's easier said than done, but if you listen to them you'll be living at home forever, they will always put you down, make little of you etc. You just have to show them that you can do it, even without their help and support.

do you use all the pigsback coupons as well lucyfur?

http://pigsback.com/Pages/3/39/218.aspx?pbq=403%2c403%2cVOVTN

Of course;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

krudler wrote: »
    thats me, if I won the euromillions I'd arrive to an airport with a suitcase and a passport and just go, anywhere. this "oh I'm a millionaire but I'll keep working my sh1tty dayjob" pffffft

Liars the lot of them. I'd be big pimpin' on a yacht in Monaco the very next day...

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Liars the lot of them. I'd be big pimpin' on a yacht in Monaco the very next day...

I'd give all my closest friends a million or two each (if I won the euromillions and was like 80 mil or something), enough to pay off any debts or mortgages they have, and do what they want with the rest, blow it all on hats for all I care. then spend a year or two seeing everywhere I ever wanted to go, and then make a movie :pac:

the interest alone would keep you in a ridiculous lifestyle for the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

My mum says if she won the lotto she'd buy a beautiful little tearoom/bakery and only open on days she felt like baking, maybe once or twice a week. Bless her, she actually would too.

I'd give all my closest friends a million or two each (if I won the euromillions and was like 80 mil or something), enough to pay off any debts or mortgages they have, and do what they want with the rest, blow it all on hats for all I care. then spend a year or two seeing everywhere I ever wanted to go, and then make a movie :pac:

the interest alone would keep you in a ridiculous lifestyle for the rest of your life.
    Oh pro-tip time: If you want to give friends/relatives money, before you go to claim your winnings, draw up a contract for a syndicate (just a simple one) saying that you had a syndicate and that family member A paid x share of the ticket price (x being the proportion of your winnings you want to give them). That way, they won't have to pay gift tax (which is pretty hefty if you are giving away sums in the millions) as technically they are getting their share of the winnings.

Acoshla wrote: »
    My mum says if she won the lotto she'd buy a beautiful little tearoom/bakery and only open on days she felt like baking, maybe once or twice a week. Bless her, she actually would too.
    See that's the beauty of winning/inheriting a large sum of money, you can actually pursue your dream job. I would love to have either a bookshop or a craft business but not have to worry about losing money!

speaking of money, someone buy my friend and i business class tickets to LA in december plz

500 euro return in the us poor peasants class is cheaper than i thought though

See that's the beauty of winning/inheriting a large sum of money, you can actually pursue your dream job. I would love to have either a bookshop or a craft business but not have to worry about losing money!

yeah see I'd do something I enjoy, which wouldnt feel so much like work, be it filmmaking or whatever, not that it wouldnt be work, but its something I actually want to do and have the freedom to, not just making ends meet.

or I'd become Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I don't think I'd even phone work to tell them I wasn't coming in if I won the lotto. I'd be too busy organising a massive holiday to take my family and friends on. Then I think I'd set up an animal rescue, one which would never rehome any dogs because I'd be so rich i could keep ALL the puppies. Although I never actually buy lotto tickets so I'm unsure how this will actually happen.

speaking of money, someone buy my friend and i business class tickets to LA in december plz

500 euro return in the us poor peasants class is cheaper than i thought though

buy coach, arrive at airport, say you're getting married, bump to first class :pac:

buy coach, arrive at airport, say you're getting married, bump to first class :pac:

gay marriage, yeah baby :cool:
    they'd have to give it to us then :pac:

pampootie wrote: »
    I don't think I'd even phone work to tell them I wasn't coming in if I won the lotto. I'd be too busy organising a massive holiday to take my family and friends on. Then I think I'd set up an animal rescue, one which would never rehome any dogs because I'd be so rich i could keep ALL the puppies. Although I never actually buy lotto tickets so I'm unsure how this will actually happen.
    I fantasise about how I would spend my winnings, but I never play. Ah well I guess I'll just have to start being nice to my rich old relatives! :P

Oh pro-tip time: If you want to give friends/relatives money, before you go to claim your winnings, draw up a contract for a syndicate (just a simple one) saying that you had a syndicate and that family member A paid x share of the ticket price (x being the proportion of your winnings you want to give them). That way, they won't have to pay gift tax (which is pretty hefty if you are giving away sums in the millions) as technically they are getting their share of the winnings.

You've really thought this through:cool:

I shall move in with.....YOU......:D:D

My son is reading Steve Jobs autobiography.....somebody save me from hearing ALL OF THE FACTS.......

Lucyfur wrote: »
    You've really thought this through:cool:

Oh I just remember that it struck me as awful having to give some huge percent of a gift back to the government! That would piss me off!

Edit: Ok the rate is 30% and if it's not immediate family, the threshold is only 16000, that's nothing! http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html

Just printed the BTEA form.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Lucyfur i'll hire you so to pick up after my puppy army. Millionaires can't be bothered with dog poo :) don't worry, I'll pay loads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Have to resist the urge to go on a big angry rant about inheritance tax in this godforsaken hole of a country! :mad:

• Advertisement

Lucyfur i'll hire you so to pick up after my puppy army. Millionaires can't be bothered with dog poo :) don't worry, I'll pay loads

Ohh it'll be like at home!! With pay!! WHOOP:D

We're having a cattery too. And a piggery. Or whatever a rescue for pigs is called

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement